The Caffeine Drummer

Share your tracks with other users.
FORMAT

The Caffeine Drummer

Post by FORMAT » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:41 pm

While Germany is playing against Argentina and I'm probably the only person in Germany not watching the match, I jammed this new tune I prepared yesterday on the MD.

It's me, with too much coffee in my blood, doing a high-stress groove, but not on the drumset.
Lookin' forward to reading how you like it! Left it rough quite intentionally.

Here it is: http://soundcloud.com/encym/caffeine-drummer

Lemmike

Re: The Caffeine Drummer

Post by Lemmike » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:03 pm

nice beats :o

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Lemmike wrote:nice beats :o
Cheeeerrs.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Anybody for some more coffee?? ;-)

jharling

Post by jharling » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Probably the best song title i have seen on these forums :lol: . What drum machine are you using? I have a Roland HPD-15, used to use it a lot more years ago as i was just a drummer/percussionist. Kindof making me want to start using it again. Nice jam by the way.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

jharling wrote:Probably the best song title i have seen on these forums :lol: . What drum machine are you using? I have a Roland HPD-15, used to use it a lot more years ago as i was just a drummer/percussionist. Kindof making me want to start using it again. Nice jam by the way.
It's Elektron's Machinedrum UW. Killer baby!
Thanks for your comment!!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:20 am

Lemmike wrote:nice beats :o
Cheers!

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Yes, very nice, as always...
I like the over-saturation of drum information, it ends up being liquid like a pad.
Wondering if you played all by hand in 2, 3 times, or if you recorded patterns for the basic and played the rest, or if it's all programmed.
I love the big Steve Roach like pad that comes underneath sometimes, it really gives a whole new breath. Great soberness and development, waiting the end to slam this old spring sound... very dramatic.
Nice job mein Herr Roland. Gut gemacht, gut bedenkt, gut performiert (can you say "performieren" in German ? forgot...).
Furchtbar !!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 am

xuoham wrote:Yes, very nice, as always...
I like the over-saturation of drum information, it ends up being liquid like a pad.
Wondering if you played all by hand in 2, 3 times, or if you recorded patterns for the basic and played the rest, or if it's all programmed.
I love the big Steve Roach like pad that comes underneath sometimes, it really gives a whole new breath. Great soberness and development, waiting the end to slam this old spring sound... very dramatic.
Nice job mein Herr Roland. Gut gemacht, gut bedenkt, gut performiert (can you say "performieren" in German ? forgot...).
Furchtbar !!
Thanks! A lot! ;-)
And thanks for your question.
This is how this went:

Day 1
I did record the basic grooves by hand on the Machinedrum.
Then did patterns, more varations and more patterns.
Added textures and tweaked the sounds - some internal, some my own samples (MD UW has sampling facility).
More work replacing samples, the basic groove was established at this point. All this went on from morning to evening.

Day 2
Then, the next day, I added different grooves, Parameter Locks, deviated from the 4/4 grid by programming odd time signature patterns, and finally "played" the tune, with onthefly tweaking, muting, shifting tracks, very easy to do live on the MD. So good, lengthy preparation and quick execution.

And before I forget: It's "performen" :wink:

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Nice to hear something different. Very brave indeed and well done. I like the simple bass thumps.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

eggnchips wrote:Nice to hear something different. Very brave indeed and well done. I like the simple bass thumps.
Thank you very much!