JOMO

Share your tracks with other users.
luddy

JOMO

Post by luddy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 am

I have a project called JOMO. We record as a duo (my partner is a Chinese singer), and use a band when we perform. Our first CD is http://dongmusic.com/album/id/album/19, and we have an artist page on a music-oriented social networking site in China: http://douban.com/artist/jomo. We're currently recording our second CD, and plan to release some music that we've done for film and TV as an EP later this year as well.

-Luddy

digitallush

Re: JOMO

Post by digitallush » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Luddy, the CD is beautiful. I really dig this. From the vocal treatments, to the blend of sound design and instrumentation... very beautiful work. Really like this.. are you a fan of Hybrid? I draw a huge amount of inspiration from their work.. JOMO reminds me of their latest CD.

If Live share ever gets working we should collaborate sometime on a song.

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Oh, thanks! Hybrid's fantastic, thanks for mentioning us in the same breath, haha.

We're hoping to put just a bit more edge into some of the songs on the next CD, maybe some slightly more natural sound sources as well.

It would be fun to try a long distance collaboration. I haven't looked into the features of Share much, sounds like just the ticket though.

(I was trying to check out some of the music you've linked but some of the links appear not to be working...)

-Luddy

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Beautiful ! What i love the most, besides the quality of the production, is that i don't care whether you guys are Chinese, or whatever : the songwriting is just GOOD.
I'm in Okinawa, Japan, and all the local artists play the exotic card too much without having much quality to offer in general, and i'm really fed up with this.
I don't care what your culture is until you TOUCH me.
And you touched me!
Yeah... melodies are really good and mean something.
Production, besides it's very good quality, has many interesting things going on in the background.
It's probably harder to make good pop than making electronica with flavour
I wonder what it's like to have such a project in Beijing...
Thanks

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Ah, i forgot ... on a few track there are some nice backing vocal, a little 10CC like ("I'm not in love"), which means that they seem a little bit mellotroned or sampled. Is it the case? Seems like at the end of Sina.

luddy

Post by luddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:43 pm

xuoham wrote:Ah, i forgot ... on a few track there are some nice backing vocal, a little 10CC like ("I'm not in love"), which means that they seem a little bit mellotroned or sampled. Is it the case? Seems like at the end of Sina.
Thanks for your kind comments!

All the background vocals on the CD were sung by my partner Pan Luoyi. She is a very good and experienced background singer, so it makes my job quite easy. :D

I think there were something like 40 tracks of backing vocals in Sina (not all playing at the same time of course). The chorus has five parts, each one sung three times, with a lot of air in the voice (light falsetto). It creates that cloud effect. I didn't tune them much, but in the places where the harmony was very dense I tightened them up some, then detuned them against each other to restore a little width.

Haha, I listened to "I'm Not in Love" over and over when I was young, what a great song and recording. That's exactly the kind of cloud of bg vocal sound I was after.

Beijing is a nice place to live, and it has a fairly active music community and media businesses (TV, film, etc.) So in that sense it's a good place to work. It's tough OTOH because there isn't much of a market for electronic music, musicians make very little money, piracy is on another scale, etc. Ups and downs, like every place I guess.

-Luddy

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:31 pm

luddy wrote: Haha, I listened to "I'm Not in Love" over and over when I was young, what a great song and recording.
Same for me, one of the audio shocks of my childhoods, especially this eerie break :)
Were you born in the 60's, btw ? American ? Australian ? Chinese ?
Anyway, if you need a guitar part that has personality, you can contact me :wink:

luddy

Post by luddy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:33 am

Hi, yes, American born in the 60s. Thanks for the guitar part offer! We'd like to get more sounds with 'personality' into our next CD.

-Luddy

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Luddy you can check out some stuff at http://www.digitallush.com or http://www.soundcloud.com/digitallush

Most of the stuff on my soundcloud is live oriented as opposed to production but you can at least get a taste of what I enjoy.

Take it easy man!

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks for the links, I will check it out!

-Luddy

jharling

Post by jharling » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Listened to a couple tracks skipped around to get a feel of it. Overall very nice work. Its a lot different than i am used to, but thats not a bad thing. Nice relaxing vibe. Just a random question i noticed only one of the songs is in chinese is that the norm nowadays or do you perform the songs in both languages?

:D :D :D

luddy

Post by luddy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 am

Hi,

Thanks! That CD was all English, but we have recorded most of the songs in Chinese, and we sometimes do them in Chinese when we play live. It's not at all the norm to release English material in China. We are toying with the idea of doing two complete versions of our second CD, one English and one Chinese. Sometimes a particular song can be really tough to translate to the other language...

-Luddy

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:30 am

Excellent work luddy, this is real musicians music, beautifully recorded and produced. You should be proud of a fine product.

luddy

Post by luddy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

-Luddy