SAndrews

Peep "Phoenix" - Axiom Pro61 + Ableton+ Apogee One + Art M1

Post by SAndrews » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:20 pm

http://serenaandrews.bandcamp.com/

Let me know what you think....

UncleAge

Re: Peep "Phoenix" - Axiom Pro61 + Ableton+ Apogee One + Art M1

Post by UncleAge » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Firstly, thanks for posting. I liked almost every song I heard. I would have no problem buying this album. And I hope you get it completed so that I can purchase the album.

With that said, I found something that I didn't like in each song. Most were related more to how they are mixed or choice of instrument/noise here or there. All are probably just artistic decisions so I'm not comfortable nitpicking at this but I do have one question. Are those the final mixes?

SAndrews

Post by SAndrews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:25 am

These are not the final mixes. Everything is in final mixdown between now and Sept 5, then they will be mastered, too. I'm *hoping* that it will tighten things up considerably.

Thank you so much for the compliment by the way! I really appreciate it! You're welcome to be nitpicky... I'm doing most of this myself, so I can definitely use outside ears!!!

best,
Serena

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Ok, here it goes...

Would Haves:
1. The piano in a box along with the bkgd vox support the lead vocal really well, imo. I would choose a different bass sound if I were to bring it that close to the front of the soundstage though. Bass that prominent isn't a bad thing but as it is now (on my system) its as present as your lead vox. If this is a synth bass (sounds like it) then maybe another option is available.

2. @ 2:50 the swirling vocals are a bit too up front. They jump out a bit. Maybe a little mid/side processing could bring them up without stepping on the lead. In addition to the swirling vocals there is the crack from the snare/clap. I get it. But I'd still like to hear the lead vox.

3. @ 3:40 the doubled vox and effects I'd pull down just a bit. You're lead is coming out real strong hear and is a very good climax in the song. It's what everything was building up to and it sounds very good. I'd leave that effect on the other vox there but I'd pull it down a hair or two.

It might even be worth it to bring the piano up (lessen the box effect) during certain parts if possible so that it breathes with the rest of the song.

Once again, this is just a perception thing. I'm not a producer. But I think you have good songwriting skills. And this is what stands out to me as I listen to them.

Also, I think your voice and the ART M1 work pretty well together. Did you try out different mics before getting that one?

SAndrews

Post by SAndrews » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am

This is awesome advice. I recently heard that song on a better set of monitors, and the bass was super prominent. I can hear most all of what you're mentioning, and will consider it as refinements get made! Thank you so much!
I'm planning on doing all the fine tuning the first week of September after I finish tracking on the last two songs. I'll post the final results here and on bandcamp when they're at final mixdown stage. Then it goes to mastering!!

Thanks again,
Serena

SAndrews

Post by SAndrews » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:46 pm

I finally released the record!
After two rounds of mixing and mastering... This is what we have:

http://serenaandrews.bandcamp.com

Remix stems Vol.1 are up too :)

Thanks for the help!