hd set screen grab - practice 81

Share your tracks with other users.
digitallush

hd set screen grab - practice 81

Post by digitallush » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 am

Continued practice on one of my sets... using a foot pedal to switch back to the strings... do a lot of filter sweeps to bring instruments in - if you set up your effects rack the same on all your tracks, it makes it easy to adjust a filter, for example, on 3 different tracks in a rhythmic way that masks your transitions

Feedback always welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKmz_SOs9g

Pravda23

Re: hd set screen grab - practice 81

Post by Pravda23 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 am

dude the way you hold that thing = miles ahead. get a long USB cable and perform it like that, wandering around as you do. so fresh
??? P?AVDA23 ???
Get remixed, Comrade.
http://www.pravda23.com

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey thanks man.. I don't know why but it just felt more natural holding it this way. I had commissioned a friend to help figure out if we could attach a guitar strap or some kind of case to it, but we were a little hesitant to drill into it lol. Also, I will be performing this set live in 2 weeks for about 30 or so people in class. I'll be performing it in a chair, lights out in a completely dark room - emphasis is supposed to be on viewing the apc40 as an instrument no different than a guitar.. we'll see. Oh, and I want them to enjoy the music most importantly! :P

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Pretty cool song and I really dig the way you play it live. Very unique IMO.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 am

Hey, thanks AceLuby. Hoping people enjoy it... show is Monday. :D

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:46 am

Very nice!

Kudos for the video too.

Small criticisms:
- a bit too long: I really liked the first 4-5 minutes, but then fast forwarded to see if anything significantly different happens in the second half
- hide the info view and browser when making the video - just show the stuff that's changing
- just my taste: at the first build-up, around the 3:30 mark I was really, really hoping for a deep warm analogue bassline to come in...

Nice stuff though - more! :)

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Big PROPS to you Digi. Great job!
Terrence Lennon

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 am

Hey thanks guys (really!) -

8O - I appreciate the critique - I really do. With that said, I completely sympathize with you - most of my youtube videos are snippets of a performance, usually just the most exciting stuff to get people intrigued etc. This is more documentary in nature (I've been documenting my set as it's developed over the past 3 weeks, I just hit set 100 and template 25 for this)- this is going to be a live performance, where the audience (I know the audience well) will be attentive and follow the whole piece - if this was just for youtube marketing or something, I would totally agree. - The second half of the performance (being in the dark) is 'designed' to place emphasis back on the APC40 as an instrument... the performance will be completely in the dark, and it will give people something to watch if that makes sense?

I appreciate the reminder to hide info and browser - these are things that I'm remembering to do little by little as I make more videos - aside from that, it's a good reminder even for a Live performance - I've been trying to declutter my space for when I do perform, so this is great. My templates in the beginning had many clips I wasn't using... simplify simplify simplify!

As for the bassline - I'm looking over the set now, and ideas are popping in my head - I'm trying to decide weather or not I try it lol... the performance is in 3 days, and usually a week before I LOCK MYSELF OUT! I tell myself - NO MORE CHANGES lol! It's so hard to not go back and fiddle and add, but somewhere you have to draw the line! But... I really like this... we will see!!

Thanks again for the feedback guys - always refreshing to get some helpful direction.

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:06 am

omg 8O you're ruining me, lol! all kinds of ideas are popping off into my head... this is gonna be a busy weekend haha

stonee

Post by stonee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm

just watching this gave me alot of idea's... thanks! can't WAIT to get my apc. apparently canada has run out of them...

I've had to hide the drill for my controller's sake...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:31 pm

aeh, dude, very good. a bit long, but very good. would love to see this in a place with a beautiful long natural reverb, like a church or so. or a cave.

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 am

thanks pepezabala... the actual performance was today (was a blast!)... was in a blackbox theatre so it..was kind of like a cave lol.. not quite the same reverb, but we had two house speakers mounted above towards the audience and two subs behind me. After everyone got settled, the lights were shut off so all emphasis was on the apc40... got really great response.

supposedly someone video taped, so if I can get a hold of that, I'll be sure to post.