In Nova Musica Submission to Modern Music

Share your tracks with other users.
digitallush

In Nova Musica Submission to Modern Music

Post by digitallush » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi guys,

Thought I would share a recent piece created for the In Nova Musica competition held in Andorra. This was inspired by the set I'd been working on lately like a mad man. This is a much more condensed version featuring some NI Session Strings (when I can get those damn things to work, I really do love them), and a live tension based instrument I've built:

http://soundcloud.com/digitallush/cello-lush

Bionecteur

Re: In Nova Musica Submission to Modern Music

Post by Bionecteur » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Wow!

This is excellent! I would buy this... marvelous piece of music.

thanks for sharing

Uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Erik. Yes, the NI session str can be troublesome sometimes. You are really rolling them out after your Practice 81 track. This one is a little long for a 3 chord progression and I find the dynamics a bit disturbing esp with the attack at the beginning of the bar. There is a plethora of very nice overtones that kept me listening to the end, however. Overall, a nice track to listen to. Thanks again dude.
Terrence Lennon

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Thank you kindly, Bio!

Tlennon! Thank you as well for the feedback, but I have to ask... do you use Session Strings much? I really do dig their sounds - at least for me it was the most affordable upgrade into some kind of sampled string library before getting LASS or whatever... my only issue is that I do have trouble getting them to sync up with my sets.. and I can never really freeze/flatten the tracks and do much with them - it's kind of a needy plug in yeah? Was wondering if you had any tips?

In regards to the song; I agree with the length comment- but I'm a little confused with what you mean by the attack at the beginning of the bar.. I'm listening and... I know what both those words mean but can you be more specific? Thank you again!

jharling

Post by jharling » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Cool track man, sounds like sampled strings to me, surprised that they were made digitally although ive never messed around with NI session strings, and i can rarely get the EIC strings to sound good. Props

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't use Session Str but I am a regular reader and poster at the NI forum and have heard talk about some of the issues. The attack I hear is a bit too loud and jumps out far above the rest of the track (relatively), at the beginning/dwnbeat of every other bar. It could just be my ears/listening pos/room humidity etc. :lol: Don't sweat it though as the track is very nice. I just thought a little taming compression was due.
Terrence Lennon

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Tlennon - that's great feedback - I have just in the past months really started to wrap my head around not just the value in, but how and why to use compression. As soon as you said that, it made perfect sense - I've already submitted my piece but I will be sure to keep this in mind when working with these samples in the future.