Inspired by the Greek Tragedy, Hippolytus

Share your tracks with other users.
digitallush

Inspired by the Greek Tragedy, Hippolytus

Post by digitallush » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:52 am

I don't really like reading plays, but at least they have some epic and brutal themes.. this was music created for the Greek Tragedy Hippolytus. He's dragged to death by a chariot at the end, by the way. Anyways, I did a bunch of image research for this, and did a write up of how it inspired my process for creating my palette. Just FYI, we have no noted music from Ancient Greece, so you kind of have to push and pull.. and hopefully at the end of the day make something that resonates with your audience:

Sound Cloud Link is at the top of the post after following below :)

http://digitallush.com/hippolytus-sound ... breakdown/

tlennon

Re: Inspired by the Greek Tragedy, Hippolytus

Post by tlennon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Wazzup Erik. Excellent track dude. Well tracked, mixed and very good controled effects (IMO). I can't make out the tragedy though. In my minds eye I imagined a positive sort of accomplishment thingy. :lol: Please keep up the stupendous work and congrats on your Web design.
Terrence Lennon

digitallush

Re: Inspired by the Greek Tragedy, Hippolytus

Post by digitallush » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey Terrence;

Appreciate the feedback - I probably should have clarified that this is much more of a collage of ideas associated with the play as opposed to telling the full tragedy (does that make sense?). In plays, often times people will write the 'fable' of a play which covers the dramatic arch and all the important stuff..similar to a key signature.. in order to get everyone on the same page.

This is more of a palette test to see what the creatives will respond to.. and then use that to flesh out specific cues. Positive accomplishment is fine with me - critiques that expose observations (not necessarily emotional reactions) are the most valuable in my opinion.

Because I don't really have a mode or key to bounce off of for Ancient Greek music, I tried to limit myself to octaves (although with the flute you can immediately tell I threw that out the door lol!)