Last finished work - techno / electronica

Share your tracks with other users.
obmun

Last finished work - techno / electronica

Post by obmun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 am

Cooked yesterday night.

http://soundcloud.com/obmun/the-obmun-no-fucking-brain

First time I share something here. Don't know why I did not before. 135 bpm melodic mixed techno / electronica piece.

Central gear is obviously my 8 Suite. Add to that Absynth (various instances), some sounds from my RD700-GX (pianos and a little more), and a lot of samples from different sources.

Final mix is not too much compressed. I prefer to retain partially the song dynamics :).

I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to comment anything you want.

And thanks for hearing.

Tarekith

Re: Last finished work - techno / electronica

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Pretty good mixdown and an interesting mix of really hard drums and melodic synths. I thought the white noise in the song was kind of distracting after awile though, used a little more sparingly, it would be more effective IMO. The vocal edits at the 3:00 minute mark were cool, but a little quiet in the mix IMO. Or maybe it's just that the kick is a touch too loud, not sure. Good stuff otherwise.

obmun

Post by obmun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Takerith, thanks you for your hearing and your opinion. Really appreciated.

In general I also had the impression that the song was just too harsh. I was almost inclined to reduce high freq content to make it a little more warm. There is not only one white noise sound but a few of them, at least a toned noise pad (which if in fact a factory recording tuned) and another noise based drums loop (with a very high stereo spread).

But I didn't want to spend more time on the song. I'm not 100 % sure about it; I have mixed feelings about how good it is.

Also, right know I'm not sure I can mix properly. I've recently moved to a new flat, and the room I setup my gear is so shitty I cannot used them. All this song has been developed with my Shure in-ears (E3), so I'm sure there are a lot of things in the mix that I got wrong.

Thanks again.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 am

I thought the tune was great. Had me listening the whole time. Vocals and the piano keys were nice touches. In reality a lot of the opinion you will gather about your work will be subjective/filtered, from many reputable quarters... and not, your own opinion about the track included. I'm a nobody on the other side of the world stumbling my way into tracks. I have no knowledge of who you are, what you have done before, what your experience is etc and my own experience in music production is VERY limited. BUT, if you had ever hoped to move the emotion or capture the attention of a complete stranger with your music... then you succeeded, with me. So on the one hand my opinion means hardly anything, but on the other hand, it might mean a lot. :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

obmun

Post by obmun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:57 am

Hi gjm.

First, I really believe that just the fact that you have spent some of your time hearing my work is a big favor you're doing me. I don't mind who you're at all; you've dedicated me some of your time. But you also decided to tell me your opinion. And that's even more valuable. And I really consider incredibly important the answers forum users gave here to those who post our music.

Every opinion is subjective :), by definition. But every opinion is also valuable. And of course, there are a lot of different styles and not every style suits every person. Not even every song suits every mood. But I have the firm believe that it does not matter the style, the kind of song ... There are just certain songs that you know are good because they're able to tell you something, even without lyrics. It doesn't matter the style. You know they're good. That's what I try to achieve, and I know I don't always succeed.

With this song, I'm not sure the full song is a whole. I don't like songs with independent parts. Each clear different section of a song must be part of the whole and the whole must be in every part. And many times it's not that the melodies or the different song ideas are not good, it's that you're not able to fuse them correctly to create a unified story. The same happens more or less when creating an album.

That's why I said to Takerith before that I didn't want to work more on it. I felt it was not going to improve.

Undoubtedly, what you has just written is very important to me, because as you have said, I've at least succeeded in telling you something thru my music. That way this little piece of work is no longer just a technical exercise but a medium of communication, which is what music is all about.

So, to sum it up in just a few words: thank you.

Every work I do tends to be very melodic, but always with a melancholic touch. I don't have one specific style, I jump a lot. I don't believe in trying to classify music, it's too rigid. So, if you really liked this one and want to try something more, just ask.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Now following your cloud acc.

Have a good day. :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller