Have a Nice Day: my first Ableton project.

Share your tracks with other users.
yaddablah

Have a Nice Day: my first Ableton project.

Post by yaddablah » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks, Ableton (and board participants for your tips along the way).

Oh, and "have a nice day!"

[edit] on second thought, kiss my ass.

credits: yaddablah.
debits: yaddablah.
Last edited by yaddablah on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

digimixa

Re: Have a Nice Day: my first Ableton project.

Post by digimixa » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:08 pm

It would be better to convert the file to MP3 first as WAV files take a long time to stream/download. Try Audacity, it's a free audio editor and can convert to MP3 using the free Lame plugin. Once you have converted the file you may want to join SoundCloud and upload your file there, it makes it easier to play than using an online file sharing system. :)
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:26 pm

digimixa wrote:It would be better to convert the file to MP3 first as WAV files take a long time to stream/download. Try Audacity, it's a free audio editor and can convert to MP3 using the free Lame plugin. Once you have converted the file you may want to join SoundCloud and upload your file there, it makes it easier to play than using an online file sharing system. :)

Thank you for the tip. I wonder if the format is the reason I can't get any volume out of it on my iPod.

I use audacity, so no prob. But doesn't stuff disappear if you convert it this and that too much?

ilovetek

Post by ilovetek » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 pm

HEY BRO NICE TRACK...KEEP EM COMING

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 pm

The reason the volume seems low on your ipod is because the track hasn't been mastered. Mastering involves various processing depending on the track. One of which is volume maximizing, multiband compression is also used to make a track louder. Mastering can be complex and takes time to learn.
Try putting a standard Live limiter on the master channel and then bringing your levels up until the sound distorts, then bring the levels back a bit. It's not ideal but ok for a work in progress.
Regarding quality loss when converting to mp3, keep the bit rate high and I doubt many people will be able tell the difference between a 16bit wav file and a 320kbs mp3.

yaddablah wrote:
digimixa wrote:It would be better to convert the file to MP3 first as WAV files take a long time to stream/download. Try Audacity, it's a free audio editor and can convert to MP3 using the free Lame plugin. Once you have converted the file you may want to join SoundCloud and upload your file there, it makes it easier to play than using an online file sharing system. :)

Thank you for the tip. I wonder if the format is the reason I can't get any volume out of it on my iPod.

I use audacity, so no prob. But doesn't stuff disappear if you convert it this and that too much?
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 pm

ilovetek wrote:HEY BRO NICE TRACK...KEEP EM COMING
I really appreciate that, thanks. And thanks for taking the time to listen.
Last edited by yaddablah on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:52 pm

digimixa wrote:The reason the volume seems low on your ipod is because the track hasn't been mastered. Mastering involves various processing depending on the track. One of which is volume maximizing, multiband compression is also used to make a track louder. Mastering can be complex and takes time to learn.
Try putting a standard Live limiter on the master channel and then bringing your levels up until the sound distorts, then bring the levels back a bit. It's not ideal but ok for a work in progress.
Regarding quality loss when converting to mp3, keep the bit rate high and I doubt many people will be able tell the difference between a 16bit wav file and a 320kbs mp3.

yaddablah wrote:

Thx again for the tips. I'm in the "Lite" version, so I think I've maxed my tracks and devices...we'll see. But I'll see if I can work it out.

Mastering...oy...