Would this track work in a club setting?

Share your tracks with other users.
noizesurge

Would this track work in a club setting?

Post by noizesurge » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:56 pm

I've remixed one of my tracks to try and make it more commercially accessible. The problem is, I'm not a huge clubber, or a DJ, - and this may very well be apparent in the production of this track - so I haven't really got a benchmark of where this track should "go".

For better or for worse it has a lot of attitude, but it would be nice if this was a danceable track. Anyway, if any seasoned DJs (or club goers) have an opinion on this I would be very interested in your opinions, especially of any constructive feedback :)

http://soundcloud.com/noizesurge/grind

aisling

Re: Would this track work in a club setting?

Post by aisling » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 pm

I have no real credible opinion, as dance music is not my forte, but I enjoyed your track. Kind regards that somebody actually gives you some feedback. Seems like nobody is really participating in the collective community response to music posted.....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

noizesurge

Post by noizesurge » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Cheers for the listen dude! :) Glad you enjoyed it. On subsequent listens I'm not sure I've over-dialed the bass!

jharling

Post by jharling » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 pm

i have a weekly 3 hour dj gig.. and have played around a little in different settings/venues. From that experience ive learned the only real way to know is to play it live, and see how the crowd reacts. You may play it for one group of people that will dance and get into it, and others may just come up to you during your set asking you to play something else or that they don't like this style or that style etc. You also may notice whether your track is properly eq'ed etc based on what system you play it on. My advice, get some gigs and test the waters you cant really know untill you play it live a few times in different setttings.

WooDz

Post by WooDz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 pm

The beat is a bit too syncopated at the beginning. It gets better once all the other instruments are added.
You have to remember that a strong 4-on-the-floor beat is what makes a good club track.
If I was you, I'd certainly look at that, add a few fills and glitches, maybe introduce more dexterity to the hi-hats from time to time.
The main meat of the track is there and yes it has attitude... See what it sounds like at near 140bpm too as it certainly has a trance feel to it.

Like it....

Regards WooDz

Klauser

Post by Klauser » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Yea liked this. I think would definately work in a club setting. I would maybe work on the section at the 2.30 mark at the first break. My attention started to drift here. But as stated above, get in a club and play it yourself is the best way to answer your question.

And yea the syncopated beat at the start caught me off guard as well. In fact everything WooDz said is spot on.

Nice track bud

noizesurge

Post by noizesurge » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks you all for your feedback - it's really appreciated.

Unfortunately I'm not a DJ, but maybe I can get a willing friend! However, I think you guys are right that it would be a good idea just to see how it goes down regardless.

>The beat is a bit too syncopated at the beginning. It gets better once all the other instruments are added.
You have to remember that a strong 4-on-the-floor beat is what makes a good club track.

Yup. I see what you're saying, I just caught up in thinking it sounded cool rather than what I want the track to do! :p I've had a play around this evening, but I think it needs a little more work so it flows better. It's interesting you prefer the original Grind. I like it, but I think it's got too many ideas for something only 6 mins long. The idea is to split it into 1 or 2 tracks (hence grind 2.0 being the 'first'), but thanks for your comments there too :)

>I would maybe work on the section at the 2.30 mark at the first break. My attention started to drift here.

I'm glad you brought that up. Prior to posting it online that first break didn't have the 'blippy' noises (they were a late addition). I added them to create a little variety and something to 'hook on to'. I think I'll try and develop that section so there's something more.

Again, thank you guys for your feedback.