Short, dusty, ambient track

Share your tracks with other users.
eric_c

Short, dusty, ambient track

Post by eric_c » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I've been experimenting with techniques for creating ambient textures, relying mainly on Paul Stretch, vinyl noise and Max for Live Granulator:

http://soundcloud.com/secret-mountain/microfilm

I feel like it turned out okay, though I'm not sure of the mix. Working with Paul Stretch seems to make things a little harder to reign in. Leaving it as-is for now, on to the next one!

Poibles

Re: Short, dusty, ambient track

Post by Poibles » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:59 am

Gorgeous. If I was to be a real bitch I would say the 'beat' is a little too wacky for the textures but it works well and you should leave it as is.

eric_c

Post by eric_c » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:57 am

Thanks Poibles. I feel like the beat works better in the middle when things are in full swing but feels a little awkward towards the beginning. I tried bringing it in a little more subtly but I couldn't quite get it to work.

Poibles

Post by Poibles » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 am

Well ambient is usually hard work for me to listen to, there are a few exceptions obviously but that is a nice sound. Well done!

su

Post by su » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:52 pm

nice. I liked the beat. Curious. Is it just samples that you sequenced or did the original material have a rhythm to it?

eric_c

Post by eric_c » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:22 pm

This is actually the original track that was sampled:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9144872/06%20T ... f%20Me.mp3

There are a few moments of isolated electric piano and guitar I was able to work with, primarily looping the decays in sampler, stretching them in Paul Stretch, extending them in Granulator, etc. So most of the sampled material turned into the melodic content. The rhythm itself I sequenced with some little vinyl pops, cut up vocal breaths from a movie (A Boy and His Dog) and whatever other little dusty noises I had.

Poibles

Post by Poibles » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Started following your stuff, it's all really good. Kinda reminds me of Matthewdavid's slower stuff - vocals. Outmind specifically, he's on Brainfeeder if you haven't heard him.