All times are UTC

Post subject: Wonderful Christmastime remix
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:35 pm 

Just thought this might liven up your holiday season, those of you who celebrate. First part is sort of electropop, but then I figured a little dubstep wouldn't hurt. The second half is pretty much one long buildup, which I pushed as hard as I could. Wound up being pretty effective, in my opinion. Anyway, free download, so enjoy! If you have any comments/suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

https://soundcloud.com/spiral_minded/wo ... ime-spiral

Post subject: Re: Wonderful Christmastime remix
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:54 pm 

Sounded a bit indistinct and awkward.
Although I suppose the general idea was good. Wasn't a fan of the double-time snare on "simply having.."
And the bass at the end was kind of like it was trying to be a big wub, but it was kind of unsure sounding. You didn't mix this on headphones, did you? .3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm 

I did some of the mixing on headphones, but only when I can't play loud enough through my logitech computer speakers (they have a sub, at least). Then I bring it in my car and see how it sounds there. I'm aware of the downfall of mixing with headphones, so I always try to listen to it on as many different sound systems as I can. I know my production skills are amateurish at best, but is it really that bad? What could be improved?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:55 pm 

chrissobo13 wrote:
I did some of the mixing on headphones, but only when I can't play loud enough through my logitech computer speakers (they have a sub, at least). Then I bring it in my car and see how it sounds there. I'm aware of the downfall of mixing with headphones, so I always try to listen to it on as many different sound systems as I can. I know my production skills are amateurish at best, but is it really that bad? What could be improved?

The acapella sounded like you tried to eq it and went overboard, but that might just be the original recording. There wasn't really a definite kick pump that I felt at all, even thought the track was begging for it the whole time. Try using side-chained compression to duck some of the more mid-based instruments that were fighting with the acapella out at each kick. The beginning was good. I liked the band-passed snare, but when you double-time it, the groove is kind of lost.

This is just my opinion. I'm no professional either, but I'm pretty proud of my ability to make tracks pump. :T

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:53 pm 

I appreciate your input! The vocals sound that way because it's actually the original track, not an acapella. It also has layers that have been vocoded to add some harmony, but it does affect the sound. I terms of ducking, I was honestly planing on going back and doing that.