webbb82

First '' dubstep'' style song. Hope ya dig it

Post by webbb82 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Like the title says. I just put together my first dubstep style tune
http://soundcloud.com/webbb82/work_in_progress

geekbeats

Re: First '' dubstep'' style song. Hope ya dig it

Post by geekbeats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 pm

I like the idea you have for it. Sounds almost like a rapper would be over it. Do you have a background in hip-hop?

Suggestions:
When I first hear it, it sounds a little muddy on the low-end and not crisp enough on the hi-hats.
Just my ears and experience with mine sounding the same way at times.

Oh and whatever you do, keep making music. It's not so much about talent as it is learned skills and tons of people following you. I've seen tracks with <50 plays that smoke tracks with 1,000+ plays.

Post by 102455 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm

I was thinking hip hop too. To me, the drums are more hip hop style than dubstep.

Dubstep drums are very sparse, like the whole thing's running at half speed.

It could be said that it's too fast for dubstep too, as most of it for some odd reason is exactly 70bpm.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 pm

You're right and the 70BPM is the half-speed of 140 when it comes to the drum tempo "feel"
It's interesting because it gives you the sensation of the snare on beat 3 vs. the standard 2&4. And like you said it seems sparse because it breathes between the snare hits.

If you count in double time you can hear the snares lands on 2 or 4, and it allows for the synth leads to appear really fast and syncopated. Quite clever.

I hint at a dubstep feel in a few of my tracks but usually go back to hip-hop or standard 4/4 feel shortly after. Mainly because I like rhythmic wobbles instead of random sounding LFO modulations.

webbb82

Post by webbb82 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Well said. thanks for the feedback on everyone. timing is one thing i like to play around with. kinda like a math problem sometimes.

webbb82

Post by webbb82 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 pm

geekbeats wrote:I like the idea you have for it. Sounds almost like a rapper would be over it. Do you have a background in hip-hop?

Suggestions:
When I first hear it, it sounds a little muddy on the low-end and not crisp enough on the hi-hats.
Just my ears and experience with mine sounding the same way at times.

Oh and whatever you do, keep making music. It's not so much about talent as it is learned skills and tons of people following you. I've seen tracks with <50 plays that smoke tracks with 1,000+ plays.
thanks man i dont think i could ever quit making music ill be the old guy in the retirment home messing with his bed cause it makes cool sounds