Guess people are too busy making their own music

Share your tracks with other users.
geekbeats

Guess people are too busy making their own music

Post by geekbeats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:59 pm

no shame in that. it's pretty funny actually, the "views" column has a range from 2-10 and the "replies" ... "0"

Maybe there is a better place to get feedback on your music?

wilson75

Re: Guess people are too busy making their own music

Post by wilson75 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:30 pm

..not at all! I've just noticed a new play on SoundCloud...not bad! :wink:

Malefiz

Post by Malefiz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Yeah geekbeats, it's very hard to get an feedback from the Ableton Live community.

I have absolutely no idea how to change this situation.
Everybody is posting his new tracks, hopes that somebody reads the new post but only a handful of people add a comment.

Maybe the situation will change a little bit after your post, I hope so.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Just think about it: You are trying to sell sex to hookers.

There is generally a glut of product, simply too much to comprehend - and we know more than anyone else that most of it is of such low quality, so derivative, it will likely give you mind AIDS if you go anywhere near it.

Wrong location, wrong time.

Visit business district, wiggle ass/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:15 pm

^ that.
Malefiz wrote:Everybody is posting his new tracks
Everybody implies a lot more people. it's a misrepresentation and an over exaggeration.

a lot of times i will see someone post their track who has no other posts on the forum, or at least a really low post count... but high expectations. it can be more productive to make a few connections and then ask them to critique your music directly.

the other thing is... some people are a bit sensitive. they believe they want advice or compliments, but when they get that advice or when the compliments don't happen at all or aren't what they hoped for... they get shitty about it. i recently said some positive things about another poster's track and he turned into a fucking dick because he misinterpreted my meaning. he told me i don't understand artistic direction. :|
so less and less do i want to listen to anything from unknown posters.

prime example... if Angstrom (from the post above mine) posted something in Link Your Music... i'd listen; otherwise it's hit or miss - sometimes i do, sometimes i don't.

i don't make EDM so i'm much more concerned with hearing some instruments and vocals than yet another "electro", "dubstep", "trance", "house", "deep house", "progressive house", "x", "y", "z" subgenre VST track... i can hear those when i walk by trendy department stores or go to a dance club.

*shrugs*

some final thoughts to consider... a lot of us are posting from work or school so we may see that something is there, but streaming is frowned upon or are using a laptop with shitty speakers. a lot of the plays and/or responses you get will depend on what you put in the subject line and what your first post says. a good way to get people to listen to your music is to put it in your sig in your site preferences... then become an active participant in the forum. people will wonder about you and click the link. to use Angstrom as an example again (sorry Angstrom, but there you are) he has a link to his music in his sig... i clicked it and i liked it... so i decided to support the artist. his album is on a USB stick plugged into my car stereo among others acts. the difference is... he's been helpful to me before when i was in a bind or he's made me laugh with his posts... he's even bitch slapped me into submission a time or two. in other words, i respect his input.

good luck...

Malefiz

Post by Malefiz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm sorry if I have annoyed someone. That wasn't my intention.

The reason for my registration in Ableton Live Forum was to be regarded by other musicians who are struggling with the same "problems".
I don't get constructive feedback from friends and if not here, then where? (I hope this sentence is not too german)
It's really hard to become established into such a long-standing community.

@H20nly and Angstrom: Your comments have opened my eyes a little.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm

don't feel bad about it, but understand the world we live in.

Ableton are selling shovels to a large number of gold miners, and this is the saloon behind shovel store. There are many millions of gold miners, and all with varying stages of gold-fever. There's the new guys who hang their hopes on every shiny rock, and the old toothless geezers who have seen literally thousands of hopefuls burn themselves out.

Now, If you want to know how to pan, and how to stake a claim, then the geezers can tell you all of the various tricks.

But if you have dug up something you need to know the value of, you really don't want the shovel store, and you don't want to ask an old geezer - because he knows you won't thank him for wearily pointing out you are holding a sack of Pyrite.

Instead, go visit the gold assayist, he's the guy who professionally checks ore for gold purity, that's all he does. I believe around my parts they call 'em a DJ.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:44 pm

yeah, don't feel bad about it. i can only speak for myself, but i wasn't annoyed by your post. if i was annoyed... my answer would have more short and brash and/or sarcastic. so, while i may not have listened to a track and critiqued it... i did hope to give you some food for thought.

give it time.

you will be in contact with other musicians who have the same problems... there are a slew of people who use this forum. they all have differing opinions and perspectives. in the end though, the most valuable tools you have are your ears and your passion.

or was it your shovel and pan?
damn it, i guess you'll have to ask DJ the old prospector... :wink:

lumpenzero

Post by lumpenzero » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 am

Looks like this subforum is created to act as a recycle bin. People would flood the normal/useful forums with their LQ crap. So you put them here and won't disturb anyone.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 am

ha ha... I clicked this thread to make some kind of jaded cynical remark but I can see that's already well taken care of.

In my experience musicians in general are the worst at listening to other people's music. It's one of the perverse things about musicians. There are people who have been talking to each other on this forum for literally years who haven't listened to a single note of each other's.

Far better to find someone with no musical talent who obsessively loves music and has dreams of being a promoter or something. Or a DJ. :twisted:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 pm

OP didn't realise this is the forum for ...

Remaining Men Together

:wink:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm

:lol:

that pic is all about the eye twitch

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

GEEK-B you should "follow" a bunch of random SOUNDCLOUDS, like dudes on the forum or something.... not like i have a crazy amount of listens or feedback on my stuff, but when you pay attention to other people's music, a lot of the time, they will return the favor..at least with a courtesy listen.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Mirthan

Post by Mirthan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:32 am

eddiex wrote:GEEK-B you should "follow" a bunch of random SOUNDCLOUDS, like dudes on the forum or something.... not like i have a crazy amount of listens or feedback on my stuff, but when you pay attention to other people's music, a lot of the time, they will return the favor..at least with a courtesy listen.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not,but that's not a very good idea.

I don't think any artist should ever impose himself with the intention of getting attention.
(Pm me if you need something. Always down to help.)

My social things:
https://soundcloud.com/mirthan
https://twitter.com/iamMirthan

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:28 am

Mirthan wrote:
I don't think any artist should ever impose himself with the intention of getting attention.
+1

anyone who posts on soundcloud "hey, check out my tunes" gets ignored.