Beauklu

Ya! I made a genre blending electronic album :D

Post by Beauklu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:27 pm

https://soundcloud.com/beauklu/sets/vote-for-beauklu

It's super cool I think! I would love honest feedback, thx bae ^_^

Valiumdupeuple

Re: Ya! I made a genre blending electronic album :D

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm listening to it right now ("Malphology" is playing as I write).
I'm impressed. You sure are a very talented musician.
I don't like everything I've heard (mostly what I'd refer to as "dance" music elements or type of sounds) but even then I'm still impressed, it's always excellently crafted, so musical !

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I didn't know if I would get an answer! Thank you so much for your kind words ^_^ If you have any specific criticisms, I would love to hear them!

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Good stuff! I'm enjoying this. I've only listened to the first 2 songs but I like it.

I'm just sitting here wondering how to make all these sounds. :lol:
ImageImage

sirbiss

Post by sirbiss » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Sounds fantastic so far.

Too bad Soundcloud mixes sound like poop, do you have your songs for streaming anywhere else?

Edit: Do i hear some Boards of Canada influences? :wink:

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm

@Rakim87, I actually switched to Ableton midway through this album, but if you're wondering how to make any of the sounds in the album, I'd be happy to tell you/show you how!

And @sirbiss, I love boards of Canada! But I'm actually more influenced by some of the people who were influenced by BOC, and some of the people who inspired BOC, if that makes sense XD A lot of Squarepusher, Culprate (back when he was more experimental), and also lots of electronic popular music. Because I don't think pop music is all that bad. It's not the most wonderfully inspired musical genre, but it is fun to dance to.

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:15 pm

@Rakim87, I actually switched to Ableton midway through this album, but if you're wondering how to make any of the sounds in the album, I'd be happy to tell you/show you how!
The sound that comes in (or maybe comes back in) at 2:45 on Retgo. Also, I'm curious how you did the vocals at 0:28. I can tell it has subtle layering, which is awesome. PM me if you don't want to post it here. :D
ImageImage

Beauklu

Post by Beauklu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:19 pm

The sound that comes in (or maybe comes back in) at 2:45 on Retgo
That sound isn't too terribly difficult to make. It's patched in Z3ta 2+, but the same effect is achievable with massive, fm8, operator, or any additive synth capable of fm synthesis. It is basically just two oscillators, first a distorted saw wave, with a fifth played over the top via polyphony. Then the saw wave is fm modulated by a sin wave at a some higher pitches for some interesting distortions in the upper harmonics. The second oscillator is a sub underneath, which is a simple triangle wave. Next the signal is band passed, and then run into a lpf that is being modulated out of time by an lfo. Throw some reverb over the top and you're done!
Also, I'm curious how you did the vocals at 0:28
The vocals were actually recorded through a logitech webcam. I live in a crappy apartment so I had to whisper the vocals into the webcam late at night so as not to wake the neighbors. Then I duplicated the signal and pitch latched both sets of vocals (via variaudio in cubase). The second vocal was pitch shifted by 7 semitones (+/- one semitone depending on the modal root of the note being sung in the bassline). So you basically have one "autotuned" root vocal and one "autotuned" perfect fifth vocal duplicate. The perfect fifth duplicate was then drenched in reverb and I continuously adjusted various notch filters, reverb parameters and such on it to give it that "shimmer" effect. Then these very "electronic" sounding signals were blended with the original dry signal to make it sound a little more human again!

I hope that helps!