I need some constructive feedback

Share your tracks with other users.
Melefono

I need some constructive feedback

Post by Melefono » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:06 pm

I keep getting rejected by Monstercat...
I need some constructive feedback from ppl on this song.
Much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCIa4P6SQ_c

prophetik

Re: I need some constructive feedback

Post by prophetik » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I like it man, this is heavy. I would say, add some more variation by using subtle effects as you move through the track to add variation to what you already have. Its not usually about adding more parts, just making sure the parts you have are processed to the best of their potential. So, you could add some filter sweeps to the synth lines as the track progresses, nothing huge to change the overall feeling of whats already there but just to add just enunciation. Subtle overdrive sweeps work nicely too with some very low (like 10-30% Dry/Wet) chorus sometimes. Those are just a couple simple examples you can obviously go nuts as you choose :)
Make sure you put a utility on the Master Track and turn the stereo width all the way down and (if you can) map the on off to a midi button or key or something, and then while you work flip it back and forth from mono to stereo whilst EQing compressing, and otherwise mastering. Don't be afraid to change the stereo width on some sounds, just be aware that going much above 105% will be hard to hear on some speakers and be very washed out.
Also you could try creating some more return tracks such as an auto pan an delay, and then send synth to delay and send delay to autopan, this will help achieve more space(again a simple example doesn't have to be those two).

I hope this helps, if you want an example of the overdrive thing I have a song up on youtube that uses that in the drop so u can hear what I'm talking about, just for ideas. Also check the length of your segments to make sure everything is 4-8-16-32 bar intervals cuz it kinda feels like maybe one part is too short but i might be just trippin.
https://youtu.be/3hBjCSb8zBE

Melefono

Post by Melefono » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:39 pm

prophetik wrote:I like it man, this is heavy. I would say, add some more variation by using subtle effects as you move through the track to add variation to what you already have. Its not usually about adding more parts, just making sure the parts you have are processed to the best of their potential. So, you could add some filter sweeps to the synth lines as the track progresses, nothing huge to change the overall feeling of whats already there but just to add just enunciation. Subtle overdrive sweeps work nicely too with some very low (like 10-30% Dry/Wet) chorus sometimes. Those are just a couple simple examples you can obviously go nuts as you choose :)
Make sure you put a utility on the Master Track and turn the stereo width all the way down and (if you can) map the on off to a midi button or key or something, and then while you work flip it back and forth from mono to stereo whilst EQing compressing, and otherwise mastering. Don't be afraid to change the stereo width on some sounds, just be aware that going much above 105% will be hard to hear on some speakers and be very washed out.
Also you could try creating some more return tracks such as an auto pan an delay, and then send synth to delay and send delay to autopan, this will help achieve more space(again a simple example doesn't have to be those two).

I hope this helps, if you want an example of the overdrive thing I have a song up on youtube that uses that in the drop so u can hear what I'm talking about, just for ideas. Also check the length of your segments to make sure everything is 4-8-16-32 bar intervals cuz it kinda feels like maybe one part is too short but i might be just trippin.
https://youtu.be/3hBjCSb8zBE
The thing is I'm still kinda new to Ableton Live, I'm coming from FL.
In short, um *which audio plugins can i use in AL to mess with Stereo Width?

prophetik

Post by prophetik » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 pm

No worries, use the Utility Plugin, and then you can adjust the stereo width from 0%-200%. The utility will also let you adjust gain, which is nice because you can automate volume within the track and the top level track volume on the mixer is easier adjusted for mastering etc. I find for strictly sub bass somewhere between 10-50% is solid, but use your ears based on your tracks etc. For anything else with real texture just be careful of lowering the width below say.... 75% , but again, sound by sound basis. I haven't found too many uses for raising the width much above 110% because the sound generally starts to wash out, and if anyone were to listen to the track on laptop speakers, for example, they wouldnt really be able to hear it. Again, totally a case by case thing tho, and overall it just comes down to what you want.

Also: as a good practice, when you start a track, put a utility device on the master track, turn the stereo width all the way to 0% and then map the on/off for the device to a key or a midi button, that way you can really easily switch it back and forth from MONO TO STEREO as you compose so the integrity of the audio builds as you work.

I'm more than happy to answer questions if you have em. hope this helps

downfader

Post by downfader » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 am

I don't think there is very much more you can do to the track without ruining what is already a really good progression and production. Could it be that Monstercat are not taking new artists, or already have acts like this? I don't know the label well and did try and check them out last night. Their roster appears quite select and small. Perhaps try other labels too, and work at using bandcamp to self release in the meantime

outss

Post by outss » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

I like the weird rhythm to the perc .. the saw/bass thing comes in pretty loud kind of took me by suprise.. it isnt bad though.. maybe beef the drums up a bit more or utilise sidechain to they cut through a bit more.. i like the samples used and the build up sounds quite professional.. the drop is nice. It's good man keep it going.. I gave a like. Could u return the feed? Cheers.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=225837&p=1718972#p1718972

Outss.

Melefono

Post by Melefono » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 am

downfader wrote:I don't think there is very much more you can do to the track without ruining what is already a really good progression and production. Could it be that Monstercat are not taking new artists, or already have acts like this? I don't know the label well and did try and check them out last night. Their roster appears quite select and small. Perhaps try other labels too, and work at using bandcamp to self release in the meantime
My and my friend concluded that Monstercat is a bunch of snobs. So I'm giving up on submitting to Monstercat. Screw em.

downfader

Post by downfader » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 am

Well there are other labels. In fact there are two in Southampton here (not sure if they're taking submissions though - Field Recordings and Sotones). Its beneficial to spread your music about as you might get some feedback that becomes the tipping point to marketable success. Problem with places like this is most users are unsigned, or hobbyists in some varying capacity.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

Melefono wrote:I keep getting rejected by Monstercat...
I need some constructive feedback from ppl on this song.
Much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCIa4P6SQ_c
Five things:
  • Refine your musical ideas, drop some elements from most sections and create space for the driving elements. You decide which ones these are. More often than not those you feel excited about.
  • Build some suspense from the start that you release in following sections. Keep doing that.
  • The production now is very flat. Work with dynamic contrast between sections.
  • Forget about "widening" and build the sound stage with panning. Place elements/instruments in the three dimensional space with short delays, reverb, EQ as well. (AFAICT the youtube clip is mono)
  • What's the story your music is telling? I hear there is one, but I think you can bring this out more. What do you want us to feel?
Make some music!