Indaco

Share your tracks with other users.
sokko

Indaco

Post by sokko » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm

This music came sweeter and more honeyed than I would have liked ... however the result is not bad.
The instruments are all standard ableton, I only used the electric guitar from the kontact library for the final solo. The drums can certainly be improved. :oops: :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/user-363792866-338374755/indaco

Tone Deft

Re: Indaco

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm

nice track. I'd pull the guitars back in the mix and put some FX on the clean guitar to help it settle into the rest of the instruments. it sounds like a guitar player playing over the track as a jam. think of the other players in the room.

that guitar is a sample set played through Kontakt?? I haven't looked at that program for years.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

fleshmob

Post by fleshmob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Drums and especially drums breaks are awesome. :) I would put more effects on guitar(delay, reverb and such). Distorted guitar in the last part sound better.

sokko

Post by sokko » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm
nice track. I'd pull the guitars back in the mix and put some FX on the clean guitar to help it settle into the rest of the instruments. it sounds like a guitar player playing over the track as a jam. think of the other players in the room.

that guitar is a sample set played through Kontakt?? I haven't looked at that program for years.
Thank you for you suggestions. I think you're right: guitars perhaps stand out too much compared to other instruments
The first guitar is from the pack Guitar of Ableton, the second (at the end of the song) is from kontack library. I think it is a synt sound (a preset sound), not a sample.

sokko

Post by sokko » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm

fleshmob wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm
Drums and especially drums breaks are awesome. :) I would put more effects on guitar(delay, reverb and such). Distorted guitar in the last part sound better.
Thank you for suggestions .. I think are a good and true suggestions, also because some other people said me the same. I' m glad that my ritmic choices are not too bad :)

fleshmob

Post by fleshmob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:49 pm

sokko wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm
fleshmob wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm
Thank you for suggestions .. I think are a good and true suggestions, also because some other people said me the same. I' m glad that my ritmic choices are not too bad :)
So what equipment are you using?

sokko

Post by sokko » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:10 pm

[/quote]

I have a normal pc, with normal realtek audio card, and the ableton live 10 standard edition.

I play bass, but for this track I've used only ableton. The drums are "Rockhaven kit" from drum essential pack (free version) of ableton. The guitars are : open guitar, from the pack guitar and bass always free version, and the others is rock guitar from kontakt library..

I don't know if I've understand your question.. is my answer ok ?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 am

sokko wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm
Tone Deft wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Thank you for you suggestions. I think you're right: guitars perhaps stand out too much compared to other instruments
The first guitar is from the pack Guitar of Ableton, the second (at the end of the song) is from kontack library. I think it is a synt sound (a preset sound), not a sample.
thanks for the heads up!! I'm on a new install and missed installing those packs, downloading now, my guitars are skeptical. :P

this got me thinking about a thread a while back about two ways of thinking about mixing
- mix for each voice as if each were a musician in the room. pan things and put them in the stereo field, give them all space.
- mix for the overall sound. not one instrument stands out it's the sum of the total.
my $0.02.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

fleshmob

Post by fleshmob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am

sokko wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:10 pm
I have a normal pc, with normal realtek audio card, and the ableton live 10 standard edition.

I play bass, but for this track I've used only ableton. The drums are "Rockhaven kit" from drum essential pack (free version) of ableton. The guitars are : open guitar, from the pack guitar and bass always free version, and the others is rock guitar from kontakt library..

I don't know if I've understand your question.. is my answer ok ?
[/quote]

If you want to record bass you should get Focusrite, it's guitar/bass/mic interface but it's sound card also. I've bought one for 85 euros, it's great.
I also don't have any equipement, but I am planning to get some MIDI pad or 2-octaves midi keyboard or such, it's crazy how this things are helpful in music production. :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 am

let me know when they have a sale on talent.

those guitar packs are great! I've been feeding them midi loops and jamming along with guitar and they just blend. I've also had fun with the Velocity midi effect to get more out of midi loops.

for guitars and Live, I LOVE my Pod HD500XT. it takes guitar in, USBs into Live plus I can put my pedal board in its effects loop. it can also act as a sound card. (for that I use an Edirol UA-101, very similar to the Focusrite etc stuff.) I kinda bought one just for the Purple Rain preset, omfg.

listening to that track again I hear the samples now. the distortion preset is much better. the clean preset has something in the setting where the aftertouch on the guitar is too loud. for mixing the clean, double the parts, pan one left, the other right and play with reverbs on them. that'll fatten up the clean sound and make it wide and should settle into the mix. lower the volume on it all the way then raise it up as you mix.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

sokko

Post by sokko » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:36 pm

fleshmob wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am
sokko wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:10 pm
If you want to record bass you should get Focusrite, it's guitar/bass/mic interface but it's sound card also. I've bought one for 85 euros, it's great.
I also don't have any equipement, but I am planning to get some MIDI pad or 2-octaves midi keyboard or such, it's crazy how this things are helpful in music production. :)
Yes, I know it, I'm going to buy it.. is the link below the same equipment are you talking about ?
https://www.strumentimusicali.net/produ ... d-gen.html

About instrument ( i understand now :D ) I have also a midi keyboard (semi-pounded) 'NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Komplete Kontrol M32 '.
It is great keyboard, cheap (around 90 euros) and if you buy it you can download also the komplete kontrol library.
You are right ... it is needful in music production. My last 3 track I compose with it. This keyboard is also velocity sensitive, so you can play like real music instrument (more or less :wink: )

sokko

Post by sokko » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 am
thanks for the heads up!! I'm on a new install and missed installing those packs, downloading now, my guitars are skeptical. :P

this got me thinking about a thread a while back about two ways of thinking about mixing
- mix for each voice as if each were a musician in the room. pan things and put them in the stereo field, give them all space.
- mix for the overall sound. not one instrument stands out it's the sum of the total.
my $0.02.
[/quote]

I do often the second way about mixing.. "- mix for the overall sound. not one instrument stands out it's the sum of the total. ", but I'm newbie (until
one year ago I know nothing about the world of electronic music) so I'm not sure I can do well.

I've some questions about your other post :" for mixing the clean, double the parts, pan one left, the other right and play with reverbs on them. that'll fatten up the clean sound and make it wide and should settle into the mix. lower the volume on it all the way then raise it up as you mix."
Are you referring to the guitar of kontact ?
If I understand I double the some midi track, then I set the pan for one to left and the other to right. Both of them go to reverb (through the send), and then they go to master... it is correct ?

fleshmob

Post by fleshmob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Yes, that's the one. Regarding your midi keyboard, that's what I've had in mind, compact keyboard+some pads and knobs, just to learn the basics, later I can buy something more...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm

sokko wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm
for mixing the clean, double the parts, pan one left, the other right and play with reverbs on them. that'll fatten up the clean sound and make it wide and should settle into the mix. lower the volume on it all the way
here is that trick explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-cH29IGeM
Paul Davids is a great teacher.

another way to do it is just to pan two copies left and right and moving the START marker the tiniest bit. IMMEDIATELY the guitar or voice or whatever will sound fatter and wider, it's kinda weird IMO what it does to your brain.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz