Beathoven - LUCKYKAT (looking for feedback)

Share your tracks with other users.

DetroitSoul

Re: Beathoven - LUCKYKAT (looking for feedback)

Post by DetroitSoul » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:29 pm

I dig it. I like this mix the most of what I've heard from you, so far.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks amigo! Appreciate the kind words.
It has had the best feedback so far & got me my 1st remix request (almost finished this which is my most emotional work yet IMO).
Any way I can improve the track in your opinion?

DetroitSoul

Post by DetroitSoul » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:27 pm

This is good because it's more sonically dynamic than some of your previous mixes. I like that it's not about being as loud as possible, and has some louder parts and some less louder parts, plus the song is good. Just keep doing what you're doing.

If I mixed it, I might have tried to get more of a pumping effect when the core beat kicks in around the one minute mark. I might have used one compressor to get that affect, or I might have used three.

DetroitSoul

Post by DetroitSoul » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:33 pm

That's just me, you do you. What you do is most important, there aren't any rules. Whatever you do will give you your style. My only advice is write more songs and mix them.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:54 am

DetroitSoul wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:27 pm
This is good because it's more sonically dynamic than some of your previous mixes. I like that it's not about being as loud as possible, and has some louder parts and some less louder parts, plus the song is good. Just keep doing what you're doing.

If I mixed it, I might have tried to get more of a pumping effect when the core beat kicks in around the one minute mark. I might have used one compressor to get that affect, or I might have used three.
This was the first song where the melody was the key to the song. And yes, framing the song with the softer piano was intentional to make the beats kick in harder.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 am

DetroitSoul wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:33 pm
That's just me, you do you. What you do is most important, there aren't any rules. Whatever you do will give you your style. My only advice is write more songs and mix them.
How do you mean use 3 compressors? You mean line up 3 sidechain compressors so it increases the pumping effect? Or do you set them differently? Interesting idea.

DetroitSoul

Post by DetroitSoul » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:37 pm

Sometimes I like to use an 1176 for the sound I get with all buttons in, but to keep it under control I'll use the Ableton glue compressor to stay under 0 db, usually -2 or -3db or thereabouts. I use it because it adds the least color, once I've already colored it with the 76. Other times I've already compressed it with a different compressor before it gets to the 76. The 76 has a nice crushed distortion effect when you dial it in.

I use the Fairchild for depth in a mix, the Pye for picking up details in the tails, the 2A for aggressive gain and presence, the 76 for the "all buttons in" sound and sometimes for precise placement of a sound without all buttons in, the 3A I usually use as a master limiter and sometimes on bass. Sometimes you get different effects, affects and sounds by layering the same compressor or different compressors. I rarely if ever use sidechain compression and compress pretty much everything.

When I started I didn't understand compression, so I didn't compress anything, now I can't stand to hear my songs without compression.

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 am

DetroitSoul wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:37 pm
Sometimes I like to use an 1176 for the sound I get with all buttons in, but to keep it under control I'll use the Ableton glue compressor to stay under 0 db, usually -2 or -3db or thereabouts. I use it because it adds the least color, once I've already colored it with the 76. Other times I've already compressed it with a different compressor before it gets to the 76. The 76 has a nice crushed distortion effect when you dial it in.

I use the Fairchild for depth in a mix, the Pye for picking up details in the tails, the 2A for aggressive gain and presence, the 76 for the "all buttons in" sound and sometimes for precise placement of a sound without all buttons in, the 3A I usually use as a master limiter and sometimes on bass. Sometimes you get different effects, affects and sounds by layering the same compressor or different compressors. I rarely if ever use sidechain compression and compress pretty much everything.

When I started I didn't understand compression, so I didn't compress anything, now I can't stand to hear my songs without compression.
Super useful to learn about the compressors you use & the techiques. Thanks for sharing. Really helpful! 8)

Chris Hill

Post by Chris Hill » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 am

I really like this.

If you say you played the piano part by hand then I'll also be really impressed.