My lame-ass attempt at D N' B. How bad is it?

Share your tracks with other users.
compositeone

Post by compositeone » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Was about to say the same, what difference does the a genre tag make? To me drum and bass is just a tag that makes it easy for us to talk about music and everyone be on the same page. Its moved on so much since the early 90's that, ok drums and bass are still 2 core elements but there are so many more elements to it now.

I'm a huge drum and bass fan and I listen to shed loads of sub-genres of drum and bass and this is not that far removed from much of the liquid out put on hospital (currently one of the biggest labels in the scene).

It frustrates me that people say 'oh there is a melody it obviously can't be drum and bass'. Its the same thing that when I say I DJ drum and bass everyone instantly thinks that its either dirty hard pendulum or wobble. I mean what else can it be? *sigh*
Forget the likes of high contrast, calibre, nu tone, klute etc who are all making very musical and progressive drum and bass with massive cross overs into the jazz, trance, house worlds. In fact I would go as far to say that there is a style of drum and bass for everyone as the influences of all the sub-genres are so wide ranging and very distinctive within the sound. I know plenty of people who didn't like drum and bass until they heard the right type and were "tricked" into liking it. :D

[/rant]

I like this track because of the layers of texture are great and all those big pads just add to the atmosphere. I think the bass sound could do with beefing up though but I do like the line. I like the fact also that you have several sections to the track. It is a little pet hate of mine that somewhere along the line, one bass line was deemed acceptable. With the beats a slightly fatter break could maybe help it along but I think at the right club this could still work a dance floor.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

purefunk

Post by purefunk » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:03 pm

C,

I somehow missed a reply to this.
I really couldn't aggree with you more, as far a genre / sub-genre definitions.

To me, it's pretty simple. Either you like or you don't.

Thanks for the listen and constructive criticism.
Greatly appreciated.

EyeBallKid

Post by EyeBallKid » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:29 am

I really don't think it's bad at all. Just keep working at it. Make it more dynamic. I know it sort of slows down at parts, but try just finding more changes or something.

EyeBallKid

Post by EyeBallKid » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 am

I know what the problem is: every time the music gets quiet, it does it in just about the same way, and it doesn't hold long at all. Try to give it some more emotion in the quiet parts and do something more interesting there before going back to the main theme.

purefunk

Post by purefunk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:53 am

EBK,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

da dude of halo2

dude

Post by da dude of halo2 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:02 am

dude wtf yall are talking about this is awsome music compaired to what I can make: http://www.myspace.com/djmetriod

samz|sight

Post by samz|sight » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:00 am

this is solid dude. its funk. wicked crazy. dig it.
Live 6/Reason 3/Reaktor 5/Battery 3/ Guitar Rig 2/2GHz Dual Core iMac 2 GB RAM
http://www.myspace.com/samdadds

Grade E

Post by Grade E » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:22 am

Everyone love to say they don't like trance.. but deep down inside... they do..or at least they did :) cannot deny a good melody.