Can I get some feed back? (drum and bass tracks)

Share your music productions here
compositeone

Can I get some feed back? (drum and bass tracks)

Post by compositeone » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I upped another track to myspace today, "Hope (I can only)". I have had it knocking round for a couple of weeks now but thought I would put it up today to get some feedback.

If you have the time take a listen to can't stop as well, that would be great, as all the feedback I can get is greatly welcome.

All my music is drum and bass btw, and you can find it at:

http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by compositeone on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

musick

Post by musick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:10 pm

DNB is not my style, but it sounds ok to me :)
MacPro, Synthesizers.com modular, Logic Studio, RME FireFace 400, Waves, Live 8/Ableton Suite/Drum Machines/M4L, MaxMSP, MoogerFoogers

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:38 pm

bump!

Please guys interested in all sorts of feed back, from if you like the tracks to is the production any good even if you aren't a dnb fan boy. :)

:!:

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 am

Right, I'm not very good at feedback, but I'll give it a go.
Although I don't know much about production, I would say that it sounds very well produced, nothing to say on that level. on a more musical level however here is my analysis of your tracks:

Hope I can only
I find that the track as whole sounds a bit dry, maybe some reverb on the drums would help, also I find it all sounds a bit clean, I tend to like Drum 'n' Bass to sound at least a bit grimey. I find the different elements sound a bit too separate.
I also find it lacks some kind of drive, the piece tends to wander a bit. That said I really like the beat in itself, loads of little variations, however maybe sometimes it could do with breaking into a straighter beat to drive the piece along a bit more. I quite like the general melodic electronica/dnb vibe. One thing I really like about DnB though is huge bass sounds, and there aren't really any in this piece, but this is more of a personal taste thing...

Can't stop

I find the beat generally has a bit more grit to it, which I definitely prefer, I find the rhythm of this beat also drives the track better than the other one. In fact I find this track generally works better than other one. Again though, I think it could do with something a bit more "massive" happening at some point. I like the distorted crash sounds that come in from time to time. This piece does take off at some points, I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a lead of some kind though. It has no vocal or proper lead, which I think causes it to lack direction.

So as a general summary: I think your stuff sounds a bit vague, it could do with more direction, maybe a lead or some vocals, especially the first piece.
Also more distortion/grime would be much appreciated by a distortion/destruction lover like me: at the moment I find the elements a bit too clean and separate.
That said I really like the vibe of your music, keep up the good work, although there are many criticisms in my above report I think your music is definitely interesting and not to my disliking.
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:29 am

I feel similar to sebovzeoueb really. Theres nothing wrong with your tunes, and a lot thats nice about them. Its not the style I'm into, sound wise I like it dark and minimal, a different style really.
The nice little variations/skips in the breaks help your drums roll and its nicely cut up so it sounds crisp seq wise, good. If it was me I'd drop some more heavy drum parts into the mix and fill it out more. Or some more percussion lines, etc. Basically fill it out a bit more drum wise but the way you feel it should work ( Stick to your own sound )
Don't wander too much in the tune with the leads and bass, just go back to the basis of your grooves/ideas and work on a more minimal sequence for those parts. Then fill the idea out with other sounds instead of taking one lead on a journey, if you know what I mean. I would look at the actual composition, and flow.
You have space at the moment in your mix, so just experiment with other types of sounds, FX, etc.
Get the sounds of the separate layers sweet, finish it with some nice mastering (EQ, Filter, Maybe Fuck up the drum sound with some creative FX but subtle).
Overall, its not bad at all (I'm only criticizing cause you want criticisms). Keep doing your thing. Hope this post is Ok.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks loads guys for taking the time to have a listen and give me some feed back, I will expand upon what you guys said later on when I got some more time. :)

Just spent the time I did have feeding back to someone else. heh