maxi-minimalism: live improv set

Share your tracks with other users.
controlvoltage

maxi-minimalism: live improv set

Post by controlvoltage » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:20 pm

repetitive funky beats and bouncing bass drones take you on a 45min journey through a slowly evolving groovescape. put it on your iPod and listen on the train...

all constructed and tweaked in realtime.

Somasen - A Journey Through Configurational Space [45 min. 240k mp3; 84MB]
click here to download
Rapist | Serial mostly

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm

hahaha

let me try your patience with my repetitive grooves...

seriously, just find a fun craft project or something to work on, and throw on this set in the background... or smoke a bunch of hash, space out and listen to it on headphones... good for either purpose.
Rapist | Serial mostly

love_chemistry

Post by love_chemistry » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:24 pm

So this is a pure impromptu set? or did you have some kind of direction planned? i am interested in how you worked the direction. As this is something that i am trying to move into. do you have a template that you used for it.

I must say though i do like this a lot and it sounds pretty funky through the board.

Cheers!

Si
unabletoo.......

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 am

love_chemistry wrote:So this is a pure impromptu set? or did you have some kind of direction planned? i am interested in how you worked the direction.
Hi Si; thanks for listening!

This was pure impromptu with a slight amount of prep work - basically I had set up a simple hip-hop beat and the chain of plugins that I wanted to fuckitup with, and I set a simple arpeggiator on a compressor to be gated by the kick.
Then I smoked a bowl, hit record and went to town. :)

So as far as the direction is concerned, it was an evolutionary process... although ironically it would have gone a lot quicker with the changes if I had remembered to map my evolution X-session knobby controller to some of the parameters I was tweaking. As it was, I was working with the mouse only, so I could only tweak one parameter at a time.

So the process went sort of like, tweak the rhythm track to bring in or out different elements to define a groove... then tweak the bass synth to work with it... changing the envelope on the pattern filter to morph between percussive, crisp bass or more flowing, pumping drones for example...
when I felt like a certain pattern had gone on for too long, I'd try changing the notes of the arpeggiation, or killing the delay and making the beat more minimal... then this provided a launch pad for a new musical direction, so all the parameters can get tweaked off into a different zone of sonic space.
Sometimes I would count beats and try to bring in an obvious change after an obvious number of bars, or tweak the filter for a 16 count and then bring in a different kick... stuff like that.

So, a lot of it is just variations on the starting theme, but then variations on the variations take you into new territory. Eventually I dropped in some new drum samples and programmed patterns with them while it was looping, and also a second synth line when it seemed like there needed to be one.

I am also working on the live/impromptu set concept, and this is a start but I would like to move in the direction of more coordinated, timed changes so that it flows better for short attention spans ;) and can incorporate more variety. What I'm planning to add is some hardware, like a 303 and a drum machine, that will let me program for example a bank of patterns in advance that I can flip through live. Then I can have more flexibility for quick changes, while still having the ability to improvise the mix. Hardware means dedicated buttons and knobs for hands-on tweaking, so I am not limited by mouse-only mixing.

Cheers!
Rapist | Serial mostly