jazz recorded with live

Share your tracks with other users.
nosuch

jazz recorded with live

Post by nosuch » Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 pm

it's only a roughmix:
www.guavajelly.de/footprints.mp3

no loops or vi used but, cecil drackett, bass and biroska, drums, me on guitar

your feedback is appreciated, though ...

enjoy,

stephan
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Mon May 12, 2008 12:28 am

I love this theme, and your version is quite nice 8)

About the mix I would say the double bass lacks a bit of body (too little low frequencies), and the guitar could be less frontal... Love the drums being in the back though.

How did you record it? It reminds me of the recordings of the 50's

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Mon May 12, 2008 9:48 pm

thanks for the feedback. well it's a roughmix, so your comments help me to adjust it a bit. yet I think the performance will not make it to an album, we'll have to cut more versions before we're satisfied.

we used an akg c411 for the bass (attached to the top), stereo overheads for the drums + seperate mics for bd, snare and hh. my guitar (fender telecaster) runs through a polytone combo with an akg c2000 in front of it. all mics go into a motu 8pre (possibly the bass player used an external pre (he is trying to improve the sound so details vary from date to date). we recorded in a wooden room together, so most of the reverb on the guitar is the sound in the room caught by the overheads anway.
I used some eqs an compressors and a hint of reverb for snare and guitar.
I think i'll have to cut some of the mids in the bass track and boost the low frequencies to prepare some space for the guitar which I want to sound very round and 3D, yet transparent.
what do you mean when you say the guitar is a bit frontal?
the drummer is biroska from sao paulo, brazil. I played a lot with him recently and it's always big fun galore!
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

IrishJiggler

Post by IrishJiggler » Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Absolutely terrific. I love hearing different genres made with ableton (not that I don't enjoy my fair share of house music), but this was a very cool track. keep it up!