Python scripting in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spazi

Python scripting in Live

Post by Spazi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi guys, I'm currently planning on to build my own Midi controller.
For my midi controller to perform and receiving midi data from Ableton live for feedback such as LED's and such, I have to write a custom made script for my midi controller.
I've been searching the net alot how to do this, and I have found alot of useful information.
But I was thinking, why doesn't the guys at Ableton make a guide how to write your own Python scripts?
Just thinking creatively here :)

PS. If anyone have some good information to give me about making custom python scripts for Live, please leave a link :D
Dell XPS 8000
Macbook 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM
Ableton Live 8.2.7
Akai APC40
RME Fireface 400
Axe-FX II

http://soundcloud.com/mothmouthmusic

nbinder

Re: Python scripting in Live

Post by nbinder » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Have a look at the LiveOSC project, look a bit through the code... besides the lack of a function/callback using Live's native MIDI in/out that comes with the API, it shows pretty much what is possible.

I found the documentation of the API pretty self-explanatory.

stutter

Post by stutter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:00 pm

you should have a look at the noofny controller, and protodeck and the scripts they used.

Ableton will very probably not release example scripts, since Max 4 Live will soon integrate all of Ableton's API into Max's wonderful programming environment. This will be fully supported, wheras Python scripting is not - and thus your script might need updating with each new version of Ableton

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm

AFAIK a lot of the MAX<->LIVE communication will be via python.

Therefore I hope we'll find out about all the new things the API must be providing for this.... I asked myself whether I really need M4L and found out that the main thing I will use it for is for the customization of the controllers.... but: I prefer writing code over dragging lines and connections to boxes. (Yes, I have been using Max some time and Pd for a very long time, I do know what I am talking about).

stutter

Post by stutter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:35 pm

I can see that Python might be easier - connecting wires is probably the most annoying/inefficient part of Max. I'm not sure I can find the time to learn Python to a sufficient level.

The thing that would worry me about creating a python script for a custom controller is that with each new version of Live some part of the API might change - a M4L update will solve that if necessary for customers, but your python script will have to be modified, and you would have to figure out the new Python commands(functions, listeners, whatevere they're called?) - I believe this already happened between 7 and 8.

First thing I'd like to build is a mod of the piano-roll step sequencer shown in the APC video, to work on my padKonrol - this is something I ewas trying to figure out before I saw that video, and with m4l it looks easy-ish. First thing I'll probably actually build is a recreation of the Max patch I use for my pK, so I don't have to use 3 remote controller slots in Live's midi pref's.

Spazi

Post by Spazi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I don't really want to use third party programs such as Junxion and OSCulator, it's just learning something new and using more CPU power. I want it all to be "in the box" when it comes to Live and performing on stage if you know you what I mean.
Thanks alot for the link, hopefully I will learn more about this :D
Dell XPS 8000
Macbook 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM
Ableton Live 8.2.7
Akai APC40
RME Fireface 400
Axe-FX II

http://soundcloud.com/mothmouthmusic

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

nbinder wrote:AFAIK a lot of the MAX<->LIVE communication will be via python.

Therefore I hope we'll find out about all the new things the API must be providing for this.... I asked myself whether I really need M4L and found out that the main thing I will use it for is for the customization of the controllers.... but: I prefer writing code over dragging lines and connections to boxes. (Yes, I have been using Max some time and Pd for a very long time, I do know what I am talking about).
+1 .. that's excatly my thoughts on the subject...
although Max is very empowering and loads of fun!...
(and pretty 'high level' ...so you can sketch out things pretty quick
without getting into annoying details.
I see how Max could be used as a sketching tool before writing code)
I still havn't made up my mind...it's tough one..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Spazi wrote:I don't really want to use third party programs such as Junxion and OSCulator, it's just learning something new and using more CPU power. I want it all to be "in the box" when it comes to Live and performing on stage if you know you what I mean.
Thanks alot for the link, hopefully I will learn more about this :D
inside the box is nice... although M4L would hardly be easy on CPU ...
I'm guessing people will make some crazy stuff...
I'm still trying to figure out what other system would give me the same flexibility that LIVE+MAX will eventually bring...
currently... I fail to see any other 'solid' alternative...
it's gonna be the most powerful (and yet elegant)system around...
(hmm. I think I've just convinced myself to get it...
Ableton...just make the sysex thing happen...please)