Who is using Snow Leopard with Live 8.05?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Radio Arcade

Who is using Snow Leopard with Live 8.05?

Post by Radio Arcade » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am

I might be upgrading but havent heard much how it is with live8

what it like? is it better/faster/stable etc

Thanks
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

Radio Arcade

Re: Who is using Snow Leopard with Live 8.05?

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:44 am

Cheers,

I have installed SL and it seems quicker for general stuff - I was having issues with my s/card (fast track ultra) but I have d/loaded the beta drivers and so far so good - Im getting crashes when launching ableton and during use...

Im tempted to go back to my tiger start up until live offically support but I wondered if it would make a difference doing a fresh install of SL - I installed and left all my files/programs intact. It would be a pain in the ass to do this due to the ammount of gear I have programs/plugs etc but Im wondering how the folks using live & SL done it??

Cheers for any advice 8)

olivier.orand

Post by olivier.orand » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am

Hi,

I work on live 8.05 and snow leopard (with a rme fireface400), it's ok..

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:50 am

getting quirky behaviour even after a fresh install. No showstopper material but a bit quirky nonetheless. I'm having weird issues with the ethernet and my Euphonix MC pro playing nice with the
APC-40 and nativeKontrol in the background. Apc in navigation mode begins to act a bit sluggish. Especially when i'm in the browser and moving up and down quickly while i move the the trackball on the MC Pro.

Seems like an Ethernet using tons of resources issue. If i unplug the MC..then all is good. Weird.

Just Live and SL seems to work ok..but I get this weird 2 - 3% of cpu usage on an empty set. Never happenned on my macbook pro. That thing would read 0%.
So i'm a bit mystified by that. That was one of the reasons why i did a clean install.

Dennis

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 am

dennis, is the cpu issue ok now after a fresh install? 8)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:25 am

relatively stable. Not as stable as it was with Leopard.

have had a few crashes and other issues, such as some project files not opening for mysterious reasons.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 am

Generally things have been pretty good... although I have managed to create a live project which crashes everytime I load it up... I was able to import all the tracks from that project into a new one and all was well again.. strange...
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:29 pm

I also have problems with live sets that refuse to load, but eventually they open after several attempts. I have only used live 8 (8.0.4-5) in snow leo so I cannot say wether it's the operating system or live.

Snow leo is a lot snappier than leopard though, when launching programs and stuff, especially if you're running 64 bit kernel.

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 pm

håkan bråkan wrote:I also have problems with live sets that refuse to load, but eventually they open after several attempts. I have only used live 8 (8.0.4-5) in snow leo so I cannot say wether it's the operating system or live.

Snow leo is a lot snappier than leopard though, when launching programs and stuff, especially if you're running 64 bit kernel.

yeah, thats what im getting too - its seems to work more often when I open live via a project rather than launching a new session by clicking the live icon.

What have you got to do to start the 64 kernel??

Thks 8)

hybridjosto

Post by hybridjosto » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:57 pm

me, it's working fine as well.
My production blog - http://transports.tumblr.com

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:11 pm

My only problem (new to mac, btw) is the damn curtain of death that my Fast Track Ultra pulls on the MacBook Pro..

If the interface is powered on, and then I plug it into USB it will tint my screen and then come up with "your computer needs to be restarted hold down the power button until it turns off, then turn it back on."..

Really? It knows something went wrong, and that's how it goes about fixing it?

If I plug everything in, and power it all up before it gets plugged into my laptop, then I start the laptop its fine. But apparently I can't plug my soundcard in while it, and the computer are running or it will want me to manually restart, which I think is retarded..

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm

outershpongolia wrote:My only problem (new to mac, btw) is the damn curtain of death that my Fast Track Ultra pulls on the MacBook Pro..

If the interface is powered on, and then I plug it into USB it will tint my screen and then come up with "your computer needs to be restarted hold down the power button until it turns off, then turn it back on."..

Really? It knows something went wrong, and that's how it goes about fixing it?

If I plug everything in, and power it all up before it gets plugged into my laptop, then I start the laptop its fine. But apparently I can't plug my soundcard in while it, and the computer are running or it will want me to manually restart, which I think is retarded..
download the beta drivers from m audio - mines has stopped doing that since installing them :-)

They are still in beta but its all good so far

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Working fine for me, luckily. It never hurts to wait a while to install though.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Working fine here as well after a clean install. My Presonus Universal Control was not working after I upgraded, but after I clean installed it was fine. Apogee Duet is working great as is all of my plugs.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

Tunecrew

Post by Tunecrew » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:45 pm

running the box suite in SL on a MBP with a few third-party plug-ins (AU and VST)

no problems
Live 9 Suite
Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 15" 2.8 GHz i7 1 TB Radeon GPU)
APC-40