Group tracks button midi / key mapable

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Group tracks button midi / key mapable

Post by SubFunk » Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am

I want the group track button to be maped via midi or a key, without that the group tracks are more or less worthless for me.
*** Image GAFM ***

iwaiwa

Re: Group tracks button midi / key mapable

Post by iwaiwa » Thu May 07, 2009 5:09 am

as well as for the: Show Grouped Tracks / Hide Group Tracks

currently I have to (move off my midi controller and) constantly grab my mouse to click for these options

In the APC40 video, Gerhard Behles talks about how a mouse is not a great device for music (and workflow) creativity

Having the ability to (midi/key) map these great new Group features will really help with the workflow and open up performance possibilities.

Hope the Abes realize this and slip these "simple" improvements in 8.x

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Sat May 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Yes I agree getting to the desired track in a group means we have to use the mouse this is not ideal especially when Gerhard talks about not using the mouse. Maybe there should be a mappable button to expand / close all groups. Or at the very least make it possible for one MIDI button to be mapped to all your groups. Currently each MIDI control can only be mapped once in MIDI map mode. This is a limitation that should be removed.

This way with the touch of one button on my controller I can open all groups. Then navigate left or right with my controller to the desired track.

Debrecini

Post by Debrecini » Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am

Everything on Abletons interface should be mapable by MIDI and or KEY.

I'm sure everyone agrees with this. :wink:

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Debrecini wrote:Everything on Abletons interface should be mapable by MIDI and or KEY.

I'm sure everyone agrees with this. :wink:
yup i was about to say that too lol
big +1

actually i'd like to add Every function in ableton should be midi mapable

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:22 am

+1

TheAmazingBaz

Post by TheAmazingBaz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:54 pm

[Update: SUCCESS!...well, mostly...!]
I've made it half-way there:

If you map either a key or a midi cc/note to a track in the group, it automatically opens the group (I prefer the last one, so I can be sure the whole group is visible without scrolling - obviously this only works if the group is smaller than the screen is wide). The "-"(minus) key works to close the group, but only if the group track *name* is selected. I tried using a mapped key to select the main group track, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way (only the scene in that group is selected, instead of the Group-track name).

When performing, it is easier to click on the Group-track's name, and then press the minus key (it's a bigger target than the microscopic triangle of collapsation)

So it IS possible to open the group via key or midi - any discoveries on how to close it again would be awesome.

UPDATE:
Holding option/alt (I'm using a Mac) and pressing the up arrow selects the "Title Bar" (re-read the manual and found the official name :P ). I'm already using Max/Msp with my midi controller, so I'm working on adding a module that takes a midi signal and a)selects the title bar b)triggers option-up (to go from clip selection to title selection) and c) presses the minus (-) key. It should be easy, but I'm fairly new to Max (but I already can't wait for it to be integrated with Live!).

idealist

Post by idealist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm

gravedigging but

+1

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 am

For me, more important than this would be to see a bit more flexibility with group tracks: Like grouping within groups.

In fact, just that alone would be very handy.

Groups within groups please you lovely Ableton people!! :)

idealist

Post by idealist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 pm

found something in m4live library :D

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=448

jhoiland3103

Post by jhoiland3103 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:31 pm

On apc40, if you hold the track selector a couple seconds for your group track, you can open and close it

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 pm

idealist wrote:found something in m4live library :D

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=448
except that you need to purchae max for live in order to use a feature that should be there as a standard feature.
hell, we can't hide group tracks, we can't group them inside groups unless we hack it via a vst midi plugin that outputs audio (instrument groups can be grouped), and we can't even access them via midi.

it's a joke, really.
now they want us to pay for an addon in order to do that?
right now, group tracks is nothing but a bus that can hide tracks in session view, and almost hide them in arrrangement view, at the expense of not being able to be opened without moving from your controller to your mouse. i thought group tracks was awesome, and i sitll appreciate them but honestly, it's a joke compared to any other daw out there. try working with 10+ groups all containing 20 tracks or more and see how fun that is to navigate around in the arrangement with.

piece of shit.

good move.