what 3rd party audio editor on edit button do you (mac only)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ReasonliveUSER

what 3rd party audio editor on edit button do you (mac only)

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:08 am

I know many people probably don't even use this feature in ableton but I'm wondering for the few that do, what external application do you guys use set on Preferences' File/Folder tab to pop up when clicking on the edit button of a sample on a clip or on the manage file browser? I'm dying to know. keep in mind I'm on a mac if I were on PC I would use sound forge or adobe maybe
http://therightbros.blogspot.com
Computer: 2.16Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 17''Imac w/ 500gb internal HD 3gigs of ram on Snow Leopard
Software: Ableton Live 8 Suite & Propellerhead Reason 5
Storage: 5x OWC Mercury Elite 1TB HD
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

jmdumas

Re: what 3rd party audio editor on edit button do you (mac only)

Post by jmdumas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:30 am

I use Audiofile Engineering's WaveEditor. Very powerful editor with a cheap price tag.

schnerg

Post by schnerg » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 pm

i use Amadeus Pro. I think there's a freeware version, and Pro is about $25. It has a lot of the same features as Bias etc. and Ive never had a problem with it for this application.

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:36 pm

thanks for the replies.. very helpful
Computer: 2.16Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 17''Imac w/ 500gb internal HD 3gigs of ram on Snow Leopard
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

jmdumas

Post by jmdumas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:35 pm

hey no prob.

but whatever you do (Amadeus is a good choice too), do not get Peak. it's a way overpriced piece of crap.

you could go the open-source (free) route too with audacity or eisenkraut (spelling?), but be ready to work your zen attitude. they sometime behave so strangely..
Gear i use: a computer with software on it and a couple of boxes with knobs.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:07 am

jmdumas wrote:hey no prob.

but whatever you do (Amadeus is a good choice too), do not get Peak. it's a way overpriced piece of crap.
I wouldn't call Peak a piece of crap. It's worked very well for me over the years. It does just what I need. I guess I'm just used to working with it. On the other hand, I just couldn't get on with Wave Editor with its layers approach.

Frank003

Post by Frank003 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:56 am

If you own 'logic Pro' you can use SoundTrack Pro that comes bundled with Logic.

jmdumas

Post by jmdumas » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:20 pm

delicioso wrote:
jmdumas wrote:hey no prob.

I wouldn't call Peak a piece of crap. It's worked very well for me over the years. It does just what I need. I guess I'm just used to working with it. On the other hand, I just couldn't get on with Wave Editor with its layers approach.
yeah well that was a bold statement. in it's own right, Peak does the job it supposed to. the emphasis should've been on overpriced.

i love the layers approach in wave editor, for me it's an amazing time saver and a great tool for sound design experimentations. but to each his own i guess.
Gear i use: a computer with software on it and a couple of boxes with knobs.

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Frank003 wrote:If you own 'logic Pro' you can use SoundTrack Pro that comes bundled with Logic.
cheers I had neglected that program. thanks for the tip buddy
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Frank003

Post by Frank003 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm not sure if you have figured it out already, but there are a few steps to follow when using SoundTrack Pro with LIVE.

1. In LIVE select the sample you want to edit.

2. Click "Edit' in LIVE to Open SoundTrack Pro, then close SoundTrack Pro as soon as it opens without making any edits to your sample.

3. Back in LIVE you Must "Crop" the sample you want to edit. It can be a small or large crop, it's up to you. (The crop is needed because SoundTrack Pro doesn't Originally save the sample you want to edit into your Current Project Folder. But, cropping it in LIVE saves it into your Current Project/Samples/Processed/Crop Folder and SoundTrack Pro then References it from that Current Project Folder.)

4. Click 'Edit' in LIVE to open SoundTrack Pro again and edit away.

5. After you've made edits in SoundTrack Pro "Save As and ReName". NOTE: in the "File Type" drop down menu save as either AIFF or WAV and Not as 'Audio Project'.

6. You can either quit SoundTrack Pro Or Leave it Open to make more edits. NOTE: If you make changes just make sure to save it, and don't forget to choose AIFF or WAV as your File Type.

7. Back in LIVE if you don't see the edit you just made in SoundTrack Pro, then go to your LIVE's Browser Library/Current Project/Samples/Processed/Crop folder and drag and drop the Sample you just edited back into your LIVE project.

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Frank003 wrote:I'm not sure if you have figured it out already, but there are a few steps to follow when using SoundTrack Pro with LIVE.

1. In LIVE select the sample you want to edit.

2. Click "Edit' in LIVE to Open SoundTrack Pro, then close SoundTrack Pro as soon as it opens without making any edits to your sample.

3. Back in LIVE you Must "Crop" the sample you want to edit. It can be a small or large crop, it's up to you. (The crop is needed because SoundTrack Pro doesn't Originally save the sample you want to edit into your Current Project Folder. But, cropping it in LIVE saves it into your Current Project/Samples/Processed/Crop Folder and SoundTrack Pro then References it from that Current Project Folder.)

4. Click 'Edit' in LIVE to open SoundTrack Pro again and edit away.

5. After you've made edits in SoundTrack Pro "Save As and ReName". NOTE: in the "File Type" drop down menu save as either AIFF or WAV and Not as 'Audio Project'.

6. You can either quit SoundTrack Pro Or Leave it Open to make more edits. NOTE: If you make changes just make sure to save it, and don't forget to choose AIFF or WAV as your File Type.

7. Back in LIVE if you don't see the edit you just made in SoundTrack Pro, then go to your LIVE's Browser Library/Current Project/Samples/Processed/Crop folder and drag and drop the Sample you just edited back into your LIVE project.

good god all this knowledge and you only have 6 posts. well thanks for using 2 of them on my thread :wink:
that last tip was very helpful as well. I just got into the file manger browser and was wondering the best way to have clips reference an altered version of the same sample.

Can I ask yall one more question. if Live is suppose to be a do it all program. what can these audio editor do that Live can't. is it a speed and work flow preference, file compatibility issues idk :? :? . can you give me some examples of when you might go to one of theses editors..thanks in advance
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Frank003

Post by Frank003 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks for the compliment. My knowledge is just trial and error and keeping what works. :)

SoundTrack Pro is a very powerful program, but I rarely use it these days. The only time I do is when I want to Get rid of background noise or annoying clicks/Pops that have been embedded in the sample.

For Example:

1. If you have a lot of Record/Vinyl Pops you can go into SoundTrack pro and highlight the Click/Pop then click the drop-down menu and choose silence. An even faster way is to highlight the click/pop then use the shortcut keys: Command+Delete.

2. This one is what does it for me. :D You can get rid of or Reduce the background noise that's been picked up by the mic during the recording session(i.e air conditioner, computer fan noise or whatever).

3. You can use Logic Pro's effects and/or 3rd party effects plugins to sculpt your sample. I haven't done this but if you like Logic's "Space Designer" reverb plugin better than LIVE's reverb plugin I guess it could come in handy.

I think LIVE is good for most editing stuff. Even getting rid of one or two Clicks/Pops can be achieved using LIVE's Volume Automation. But, if there are a lot of clicks/pops crackles I rather go with soundtrack pro or just edit it in Logic using Logic's WAV editor and pencil tool.

penboa

Editing Live 8 Audio in Soundtrack Pro 3

Post by penboa » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Update for Live 8.2.1 and Soundtrack Pro 3.0.1

Found this thread via Google, very helpful, so I'm updating it for the current versions.
I have just tried editing a sample in Soundtrack Pro it now works in a much simpler way. All you need to do is the following:
1. If you haven't already done so, In Preferences (Keyboard shortcut: Command + ,) on the File Folder tab set the Sample Editor to Soundtrack Pro.
2. Select the audio clip that you want to edit in the arrange or session view.
3. In the Clip view simply click on "Edit" on the Sample Tab, Soundtrack Pro will open with the sample.
4. Edit the sample in Soundtrack Pro and when you are finished click File>Save and change the file format from "Audio File Project" to that of the original audio file (you want to overwrite the original file) in the dialogue prompt that appears telling you that the file already exists click on replace.
5. Either leave Soundtrack Pro open to do more editing and switch back to Live or close Soundtrack Pro.
6. The changes you made should now be visible in Live.

Soundtrack Pro is very useful, as it can edit multichannel audio files, which is useful when working with movie files with several audio channels.
iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6; Motu 828mkII; Logic Studio 9; Live 8

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I've used Audacity for eons but just now had a thought and replaced Audacity with Sample Manager - works like a charm! ultrafast :)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Good ol' Audacity!