Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vonwerdt

Re: Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Post by vonwerdt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 pm

well for me that's a real turn-off. in a live environment, sweaty hands, one beer too many, knobs that sometimes aren't THAT exact, it's just not the way to do it for me.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 pm

vonwerdt wrote:well for me that's a real turn-off. in a live environment, sweaty hands, one beer too many, knobs that sometimes aren't THAT exact, it's just not the way to do it for me.
ideally it wouldn't be for me either, but its the only solution I have at the minute

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:21 pm

looking at the videos there nothing hes doing in traktor you cant do in live by mapping your loop points and all the stuff everyone mentioned. ill give him that hes always pushing things on. give him 12 months and he will most likely switch to live / serato.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:
vonwerdt wrote:there is one problem though: you can only loop the clip currently in focus. isn't it possible to have different mappings for different channels? say keys z, x and c for looping functionality on channel one and v, b and n on channel two?
yeah, I found that, just means I need to be very quick jumping between tracks but so far so good, and I managed to pull it off live too
the other thing im not to sure how to recreate in live is the pulling the tempos apart. he shows it in the vids, but it looks like each deck in traktor has its own controllable tempo. this lets him create those weird poly rhythms.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:51 pm

nuperspective wrote:looking at the videos there nothing hes doing in traktor you cant do in live by mapping your loop points and all the stuff everyone mentioned. ill give him that hes always pushing things on. give him 12 months and he will most likely switch to live / serato.
yeah, the only issue is you can only loop the track thats playing so I can't assign different buttons and knobs on the controller to loop different tracks. They wa I'm isn't ideal but it'll have to do just now. I don't really want to switch to traktor, I used to use the Skratch version, and I prefer ableton tbh.

he's also incorporating the new NI Maschine into his sets, wich is pretty impressive

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:
nuperspective wrote:looking at the videos there nothing hes doing in traktor you cant do in live by mapping your loop points and all the stuff everyone mentioned. ill give him that hes always pushing things on. give him 12 months and he will most likely switch to live / serato.
yeah, the only issue is you can only loop the track thats playing so I can't assign different buttons and knobs on the controller to loop different tracks. They wa I'm isn't ideal but it'll have to do just now. I don't really want to switch to traktor, I used to use the Skratch version, and I prefer ableton tbh.

he's also incorporating the new NI Maschine into his sets, wich is pretty impressive
true. but that can get to confusing. theres always a track that forms the bedrock of the sound. the other tracks are layers on top. the global settings for loops are very handy and keep thing simple. a must if your doing stuff on the fly. if you what all the audio mashed use the fx some of the guys have spoken about on the master channel or a group bus and go wild.

any more than three tracks of music turns into audio soup very quickly without major eqing. thats why you would be better off adding your own loops of hats, bass, perc etc on top of other peoples track. just as effective and more control. thats basically what hawtin does.

nuperspective

Post by nuperspective » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 am

I use an AutoHotKey script to create macros to be able to set a loop of predefined length, move loop position and move start and end.

Here is a pic with the loop controls:

Start loop defaults to a loop length defined in the AHK script.

This code will make an "F" key set a loop with a length of 4 bars when you set the mouse positions according to your resolution:

Code: Select all

;
; mouse positions
;

; x position of loop length box
markersX = 350

; y position of loop end box
markersLoopEndY = 1170

; position of non active area to clear focus 
unfocusX = 350
unfocusY = 1200

;
; macro to make "F" key create a 4 bar loop
;

F::

; send "F" key...assign this to loop start set button
Send {F}

; get current mouse position
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos ; get mouse position

; click on loop end box
MouseClick left, markersX, markersLoopEndY, ,0

; set length to 4 bars
Send {4}
Send {Enter}

; click to take back focus from input field
MouseClick left, unfocusX, unfocusY, ,0

; return mouse pointer to original position
MouseMove, xpos, ypos, 0

return
If you like to get the whole script I use it's available in this post:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113216

blablub

Post by blablub » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:52 pm

if we could combine the speedcontroll of lives looper with beatrepeat... then we would be much closer!!??! don´t you think...?!? i twisted my head around that but couldn´t come up with a fency solution...

if lives looper wouldnt delete the end of the loop in the buffer, when cutting the loop to half of its size we would be much closer too...

i cant figure smthing out... messing around in the clip view doesnt do it 4 me...
i guess i have to wait till max4live comes out, and hope, that i can build myself an instant-looper-audio-fx...

u think that´s possible with m4l???

thx blablub

skulpture

Post by skulpture » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:45 pm

blablub wrote: u think that´s possible with m4l???
I'm very sure 8)

MajoDub

Post by MajoDub » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 am

great i was trying to do this long time thanks ¡¡

blablub

Post by blablub » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

so...
now that max4live is out there for quite a while...
i wonder if anybody is able to "loop the hawtin way"...
if so, could u offer your live patch pleas...
i had a look inside m4l while it was in beta status, but i didnt get it (to complicated 4 me yet)

thx
blablub

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm