Key Detection, Simple Transpose

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Sean_Clarke

Key Detection, Simple Transpose

Post by Sean_Clarke » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

Hi

Just bought Live 8 and MPC40, was (and still am) a cubase 5 user. I had used ACID before for looping and, although I prefer Live, miss the simple key changing (as in the ACID loops contain KEY information and be can transposed individualy or on mass (all song) from diferent keys to the sae keys without indvidual sample identification and transposing- at least I think it did from memory!

Anyway- as someone who transposes a lot to get melodic loops in key, the little rotary transpose button is fiddely (can it be mapped to a keyboard for transpose), it would be great if-

Ableton worked with acid loops and would know the key and inteligently transpose (i.e - you just press a note on the keyboard and Ableton shifts the right amount of semitones)

Ableton could pitch detect (guess) and try the inielgent transpose above (there are other bits of software that let you do this, so it is obviusly feisible if not totaly accurate- this would also open the door to harmoinic mixing for DJ's

Anyone else like to see this as a 'major' feature (or is there a work around I haven't found yet?)
Sean
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

Soundscapemusic

Re: Key Detection, Simple Transpose

Post by Soundscapemusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm

That is a GREAT feature and i would love it to. Definetly takes all the guess work out of it..

Now that makes me question where the skill is in having an ear for music and being able to recognize keys properly if the computer is automatically calculating for that..

Guess it would be useful though!

mousetrapreplica

Post by mousetrapreplica » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 am

I fully agree that this would be a very useful feature.

If I am working with a singer and I produce a track in a bad key for their voice, I would love to be able to transpose it with the touch of one button.

I think Ableton should add a 'Key' parameter on the clip view underneath the 'Time signature' information.
And with that, they should add a Global Key button on the transport(?) bar to support quick and easy changing of keys, like most other DAW's already do.

Sean_Clarke

Post by Sean_Clarke » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:08 am

Great Idea on the global transpose, just need some sort of 'do not transpose' selection on the grid for drums etc.

Transpose by Scene would be most useful, with the option to select 'no transpose' clips or columbs.
DAWS: Live 11 Suite + PUSH2, Studio One, Bitwig and Reason all via an X32 desk: Instruments: modular and analogue stuff, guitars, basses and drums.

mgoins

Post by mgoins » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Key Detection would be a wonderful improvement. There have been many times over the last 6 months that I have been using Ableton that this has been an issue.

I use Ableton with a band and I want to layer clips. I have had a tough time getting the right key ... especially during rehearsal when every thing is loud and my pitch detection is not the best.

DJing is all about beat matching and pitch matching ... we know Ableton has the beat matching down. But ... pitch matching would be a huge improvement.

My two cents.

mgoins
http://iplayabletonlive.com
===========================++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
http://iplayablelive.com

roothewhirl

Post by roothewhirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 am

Key detection would be an amazing feature! I really hope to see it in version 9. I think this would be one of the biggest advancements for the software in awhile. Think about it, not only could you use it to detect keys for DJing, but also for sampling!

http://abletonlife.com
An Ableton Live Tutorial Blog