mappable "lock to control surface"?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Good idea?

Yay
67%
Nah
33%

Total votes: 6

Zygi

mappable "lock to control surface"?

Post by Zygi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 pm

mappable blue hand is nice - but why not go further and make "lock to control surface" midi-mappable?

maybe there is a way to do this which I haven't found yet... but selecting device via apc40 and then pressing a button on the midi controller to lock it permanently to the plugin, would be awesome :mrgreen:

Michael Hatsis

Re: mappable "lock to control surface"?

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:48 am

Look into making your own Remote control script. From what I remember you can do this...been a while though

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 pm

So what's the scoop on this functionality? Is it possible?

I really need this feature for live perf.

It kills me when I select an effects macro that's on a bus track, and then when I go to drill down to an individual track just to view a waveform, my apc40 loses the ability to edit the bus macro settings because the focus is now on the currently selected track.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:23 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Look into making your own Remote control script. From what I remember you can do this...been a while though
I have about 15hours logged trying to get this to work, and from what I see it's not possible. PLEASE prove me wrong!

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

The LockButton script in userconfiguration.txt does not work in Live 8. It is broken. It works in Live 7 though.

I am waiting for support to get back to me regarding this issue, but I got nothing so far.

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:04 am

Does any one know if Max for Live can do this?

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 am

barstu wrote:Does any one know if Max for Live can do this?
Max4Live is supposed to be able to do it. it's an impossibility for non M4L users however (at least on an APC40).

it would be really helpful for live performances if ableton can just add the feature for us; but so would being able to see multiple waveform windows ala Traktor pro, so don't hold your breath....

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks, thats slightly encouraging, I've posted in the Max forum to get furtherclarification, would be nice to know exactly how it's done in M4L before I shell out. I see that 8.1 now supports the control surface lock/unlock command, I'm thinking of using that as a back up plan.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 pm

barstu wrote:Thanks, thats slightly encouraging, I've posted in the Max forum to get furtherclarification, would be nice to know exactly how it's done in M4L before I shell out. I see that 8.1 now supports the control surface lock/unlock command, I'm thinking of using that as a back up plan.
yes the script works but the function of locking the APC's device control via a button press will not work due to the limitations of the script.

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm thinking at least my remote and other controller can stay locked I'll take the hit on loosing apc focus once in a while.

:(

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 pm

I've got away with this up until now by using 2 instances of Live but it's very messy, you have to run & maintain 2 separate versions of Live ie 8.0 & 8.1. So I'm now wanting to revert back to a single instance.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

barstu wrote:I'm thinking at least my remote and other controller can stay locked I'll take the hit on loosing apc focus once in a while.

:(
that's what pisses me off the most. My remote SL does this fine. I even went so far as to try to somehow copy the python script from the SL to the APC, but it would require many hours (possibly days) to learn python scripting and I just don't have that kind of time to invest.

OCH

Post by OCH » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am

if you happen to be using push 2 now, check this out: och.lockdevice2push2

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am

RCUS wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Look into making your own Remote control script. From what I remember you can do this...been a while though
I have about 15hours logged trying to get this to work, and from what I see it's not possible. PLEASE prove me wrong!
You have to call self.toggle_lock() in your derived ControllSurface class.
You could also specifically call self.lock_to_device(the_device_you_want_to_lock_your_control_surface_to) and self.unlock_from_device(the_device_you_want_to_lock_your_control_surface_to). But then you also need the_device_you_want_to_lock_your_control_surface_to.
I just looked this up in the documentation based on the Docstrings in the original Framework. I don't have that for the the V2 Framework yet. But I'm pretty sure it's the same there.
The problem is on controllers that are specifically made for Live there is no button left that isn't already mapped. You could route (for example) Push and another small controller through a virtual midi cable, so you can select both controllers as one input in Live. Then you derive your own class from the Push class (or APC, or whatever) to keep the original functionality and add the toggle_lock functionality. But make sure the additional controller won't overlap in CC or Note numbers with Push (or whatever). The best way is to use a different MIDI channel.

skotterz

Post by skotterz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 pm

close to impossible to find this anywhere (believe me, i've spend a lot of time searching), but here:
https://ask.audio/articles/ableton-rele ... provements

"Lock to Control Surface" would not work anymore with Push 1 or 2"

thanks, ableton :(