What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 pm

:mrgreen: h20nly there must be more than h20 in what you're drinkin
love me some primus though, who's more influential ritchie hawtin or larry graham? :P

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Da hand wrote:
please don't say that we're talking about who invented something, nobody ever said that but you, we're talking about influence. michael jackson didn't invent boybands but if you ask any of them from new kids on the block to brittney spears they will cite michael jackson as their primary influence, and that's not even scratching the surface of his influence.
as a matter of fact every single pop artist will cite michael jackson as an
influence. :| you didn't know that?
Ok, but then going back to this. Why would any boyband say that Michael Jackson has been an influence on their music? Obviously it cannot be the music as they don't even write their own music. They may love his music, wish to be like him in one respect or other, acknowledge his musical output, etc. but point to me the influence of Michael Jackson on a boyband's music or pop music in general.

I would say, Michael Jackson's contribution in pop dance and music videos has been far greater than his influence on the sound of pop music.
I guess you don't think michael is much of a musician?
i agree he's been incredibly influential in dance and performance but he writes songs too, I believe 4 0r 6 of them on his best album off the wall
as well as others and even if he didn't his voice instrument has influenced
multitudes of artist including the whole boyband genre, there wouldn't even be a justin timberlake without'em.

I think without ritchie everyone would still be here.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:10 pm

starving student wrote:who's more influential ritchie hawtin or larry graham?
Just like so much else around here... thats a matter of opinion.

For me Larry Graham. By a looooooooooong shot. Shit he plays the bass and used to rock a dope fro! That alone is more influential. I'll take a raw bassline over a that same fucking lame ass house kick over and over for 6, 8, 12 hours

thud thud thud thudthudthud thud thud... :|

Or take one of Richie's track and cut that wanna be bassline out and put (a fresh) one of Larry's in it. Blam! That shit will sound ten times better than its boring ass electrodigital Kraftwerks nuts licking standard incarnation instantly.
You can't deny live bass.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 pm

For the record. I'm not saying Richie isn't any good or any of that noise that will chaff fanboys nuts globally. I just don't find it inspiring... unless I feel like dancing (maybe)
yeah, thats a big maybe.

Oh and I'm pretty fucking sure Larry Graham hasn't used a Mac on stage.
I'm not sure how much he may have been influenced by Kraftwerk on this matter :?:

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 pm

I exclusively use a macbook right now
and I exclusively use xp on it. all that mac shit is like when you go into a clothing store to buy some clothes and an annoying as fuck sales person keeps bothering you when you're just trying to shop and leave.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 am

With the Fender/Gibson analogy I was saying you can make good music with either, same with Mac/PC. Some people obviously can't read and be a condescending, pompous ass at the same time.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 am

H20nly wrote:Now crack that bad boy open and replace your own RAM and hard drive.
Bored of the internet wankery about music, yes music is also about environments and influences are passed down etc. What happens occasionally is a group fuses different ideas from different musics or thinking about music, and we eventually get a genre. Denying the importance of groups like Kraftwerk is just as lame IMO as putting them on some pedestal though. You're basically arguing that no group should be thought of as core to a style of music, which I don't agree with, and we're not going to agree on that.

One thing though, I've changed the hard drive and RAM on every Mac Laptop I've owned, that comment is strange?
I've replaced optical drives as well....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:01 am

^ hats off

seriously.

many Mac owners are too scared to void their Apple "care" all the while they're spouting how nothing ever goes wrong out the other side of their mouth.

I totally agree with you that Kraftwerk helped influence, develop and spread a genre from a grassroots level. I agree that they were pioneers and innovators.

I don't think that if Kraftwerk would have all died in a car crash in 1970 that we would be without that genre of music today. I think that it would have been missing their contribution, however big that may have been, but had they not been there I think we would still have electronica today.

I simply refuse to agree that someone is incapable of having a basic knowledge of modern music history by not knowing who they are. If Kraftwerk's influence is as strong as you say then that person simply doesn't realize that they are familiar with their work at some level. Instead of belittling them, hip them.

I would agree that they can't have a complete knowledge of modern music history, but not that everything else they know is somehow discredited by missing that component.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:31 am

*yawn*

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:40 am

H20nly wrote:^ hats off

seriously.

many Mac owners are too scared to void their Apple "care" all the while they're spouting how nothing ever goes wrong out the other side of their mouth.
Apple Care is a joke, waste of money. Only time I bought it the LCD on my laptop dies, inexplicably cracks in the middle of the night? LCDs aren't covered for freak situations like that.
All you void if you replace the hard drive is the warranty on the hard drive you replaced, which Apple of course shouldn't be responsible for. The PC equivalent of that kind of paranoia is when my parents wouldn't let me instal Reason on their PC for fear it would somehow destabilize it. :lol:
I would agree that they can't have a complete knowledge of modern music history, but not that everything else they know is somehow discredited by missing that component.
That's the internet for you, that's basically all I was saying, the use of the word 'basic' made it seem harsher than intended. All I intended was that it wasn't a well rounded understanding of modern music without Krafterk in much the same way that not knowing about James Brown is.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:10 am

Machinesworking wrote:... basically all I ....... intended was that it wasn't a well rounded understanding of modern music without Kraftwerk in much the same way that not knowing about James Brown is.
That makes total sense, and am happy to take your encouragement to take a listen. 8) :D

All the best. G.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Well, if we're going to talk about Amazing 80s Krautrock, I don't even know why we're discussing Kraftwerk. The Scorpions stepped all over Kraftwerk back in the day. Still do.
H20nly wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I came here looking for a Mac vs. PC flame war. Why is everyone arguing about some German 80s band?
What do you mean some German 80's band? You obviously don't know anything at all about modern music history :roll:

Careful. You've GOT to love em as if they are the only ones who did anything of that kind. Like the Ramones you know? so fucking creative :roll: I mean hey ho lets go its not as if their friends were playing anything even remotely close to what they were doing.

You have to treat them as if their style spontaneously burst into existence because their is no way they were being influenced by anything going on around them.

Nobody didn't use a Mac before Kraftwerk. They actually came up with the idea of not using a Mac. If you didn't know that you obviously have no sense of basic computer history :roll: :roll:

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:29 pm

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=h ... soul&emb=0#

go to about the 13 min mark (the whole doc is awesome but this seems to be relevant to the last few pages of this thread)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Kilroy wrote:Well, if we're going to talk about Amazing 80s Krautrock, I don't even know why we're discussing Kraftwerk. The Scorpions stepped all over Kraftwerk back in the day. Still do.
No No... it was all sarcasm. Your original post just fueled my rant.

I think its all over now. No need to rock us like a hurricane. Lets just stick with the groove that hits the bone and let that be that.

oh yeah, the Scorpions don't use Macs on stage...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Kilroy wrote:Well, if we're going to talk about Amazing 80s Krautrock, I don't even know why we're discussing Kraftwerk. The Scorpions stepped all over Kraftwerk back in the day. Still do.
On a purely semantic level, you're dead wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock