HELP ! position a sample in session view at 8th bar end ??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jip

HELP ! position a sample in session view at 8th bar end ??

Post by Jip » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Hello guys - bear with me & I am new to ableton and some of the terminology - but I have read the manual repeatedly to find the answer to this question and I can't - IT SEEMS SO SIMPLE TOO!

How do I position a drum roll (or any sample) in session view so that it only sounds at say the end of the eigth bar for the last two notes???

I can't see how you can position samples apart from looping them and silencing out the bars you don't want it to sound!

I've previously used cubase to do this and it was a case of chopping the sample and positioning where you want it !

Am I missing something obvious??
Jip

Imac Retina 5k/ Ableton Suite 9 & Push / Maschine Studio / Roland TR-8/ Traktor

dkuchta5

Post by dkuchta5 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:27 pm

I'm new to this too, but I think you should be doing that in the arrangement view, not the session view. You can just drag a clip anywhere you want on a track's timeline.

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:21 pm

:?:

have you tried dragging a simpler or an impulse to a midi track, then creating a midi clip and sequencing it this way ?

if you want to sequence a sample you must load one of those native instrument, or any software sampler (like kontakt or what you want)
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

Jip

Re

Post by Jip » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:22 pm

I understand you can do that in the arrangement - or I can trigger a sample via midi if I need to - I just assumed you could do everything in session to see if it works/sounds right before recording it !

Can anyone else help us newbies??
Jip

Imac Retina 5k/ Ableton Suite 9 & Push / Maschine Studio / Roland TR-8/ Traktor

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Jip wrote:How do I position a drum roll (or any sample) in session view so that it only sounds at say the end of the eigth bar for the last two notes???
sorry, it seems i haven't understood the question (again, again, again...)

:oops: :arrow:
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:54 am

what about making an 8 bar clip that only contains notes for the last bar? But then you have to trigger it 8 bars in advance :)

You could also do follow actions to have a roll repeat every 8 bars, or have a groups of rolls that would randomly fire every 8 bars so it doesnt get boring. :)

-tim

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:29 pm

There is a much easier way: Use the volume envelope. Let's say you have a scene that is 8 bars long and you want a drumroll playing in the last two of the 8 bars. The clip with the drum roll is 2 bars long. Now you place clip with the drum roll in the same scene. Now go to the clip view, volume envelope, "Unlink" it (there is a button for this), set the clip's length o 8 bars, and put the volume envelope to 0 during the first 6 bars and to 100% on the last two bars.

Now if you trigger the scene the drum roll will play all the time, but you will hear it playing only during the last two bars.

(When you have successfully tried this one, i suggest to make some experiments with other envelopes, and with uneven clip lengths.)