Max for Live in 2009?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
d-track

Re: Max for Live in 2009?

Post by d-track » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:21 pm

dextroc wrote:@d-track: it's already in beta, it's just not public. I doubt that there will even be a public beta because m4l is just that kind of software. no need to drown the real problems, tested by people who know what they're doing, in a sea of problems from people that have no idea how max even works to begin with. I mean, I'd think max5 was real buggy if I didn't know how it worked. There's always some little thing you forget to do that the max-noob could think was a bug.
So, it's been in beta for some weeks now (I recall some "not supposed to brag about this" posts on the forum earlier). I think it's just around the corner and not as unstable as you might think. The cycling'74 team is pretty solid (you may notice that bug fixes and updates in max have been pretty far apart in the past) and I trust they've worked very well with the Abes on this one.
Maybe it's just childish optimism, but I think and hope we'll be getting a solid program from the start. Maybe it'll need a few bugfixes, but nothing major.

my two cents...
live 7 was unusable for me at the first half year, same with 8. just getting usable now.

ive been using live for years and max/jitter for about 2 years.
i know what to expect... when these two serialbuggers cooperate = live bugs multiplied by max bugs.

follow me!
its paradise!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 pm

dextroc wrote: Maybe it's just childish optimism, but I think and hope we'll be getting a solid program from the start. Maybe it'll need a few bugfixes, but nothing major.

my two cents...

you mean, as stable as live 8 was when it was released?
they better release it for free then man.

d-track

Post by d-track » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 pm

friend_kami wrote:
dextroc wrote: Maybe it's just childish optimism, but I think and hope we'll be getting a solid program from the start. Maybe it'll need a few bugfixes, but nothing major.

my two cents...

you mean, as stable as live 8 was when it was released?
they better release it for free then man.
you mean they should pay us for betatesting? :)

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't know. Personally I've had 2-3 crashes that didn't cause any serious damage, so I'm not in on this live 8 being unstable. I've been happy with it from the beginning. Only real bugs I encountered were in the beta. Of course there were bugs, otherwise they wouldn't have reached 8.0.8 by now, but none of them affected me. Hey, I have hardly been a bug victim since v2 lite, yet I've used it to it's full potential. If there was ever a problem I could easily trace it to my hardware (the TC Konnekt 24d... I've had it replaced 2 times and it still keeps messing with me).
...and regarding bugs in max, for me most of them I could blame on rewire-ing and syncing it to live. Once it's integrated into live, I would expect that problem to solve itself. Of course, that's not a given, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

d-track

Post by d-track » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:06 am

there is hope.
at least an option to...

buy logic :P