Villalobos hating on Ableton

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
lozoz

Villalobos hating on Ableton

Post by lozoz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1128

do you think what he says is true or is it that it's the tool of choice for so many bad minimal techno producers trying to bite his sound?

Poster

Re: Villalobos hating on Ableton

Post by Poster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 pm

as long as I know Live sounds good, I'm totally uninterested to hear what Villalobos thinks of Live..

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:57 pm

who is interested what he blurbs or not. anyone for that matter, make your own head.
*** Image GAFM ***

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:03 pm

If you have a good turntable and good speakers, you can hear it is made in Ableton. Logic, for example, is very neutral in sound but Ableton...you can hear it in two seconds.
thats BULLSHIT!! :D

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:03 pm

He looks like a fucking bum

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:04 pm

lozoz wrote:http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1128

do you think what he says is true or is it that it's the tool of choice for so many bad minimal techno producers trying to bite his sound?
ricardo and cabanne, preparing a Narod Niki show... ;)

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:08 pm

thats bs...live is amazing
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 pm

@ Herve... exactly he also used ableton several times playing back to back with ritchie...
*** Image GAFM ***

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:12 pm

ze2be wrote:
If you have good speakers, you can hear it is made in Ableton. Logic, for example, is very neutral in sound but Ableton...you can hear it in two seconds.
thats BULLSHIT!! :D
Yeha, maybe if you have some Martion Orgon monitoring system...

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:17 pm

so what's his solution to the so called sound issue in ableton? "be a rich superstar dj so that you can afford the best equipment and not have to rely on the crap software

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:19 pm

He sounds like a huge fucking cunt, and I'm not even saying that in defense of Live. Shit, I don't even own live or use a computer to make music.

Just how he comes across - cunt.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:31 pm

I think he mixes up the audio engine with the sound of Live's devices. Songs made completely with ableton are often recognizable if they use only ableton instruments and effects. But that has nothing to do with the audio engine.
Professional Shark Jumper.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:41 pm

He didn't sound like an asshole at all. Maybe a little obsessed with sound quality, but hey he's a musician. I'd be a little worried if a musician isn't concerned with sound quality.
I don't think he's specifically targeting Live (shit, he uses it), but "modern" DAWs in general. He's criticizing poor production quality, but later implies that electronic music has its place, as does jazz and experimental shit.

I tend to agree with him. I think 99% of electronic dance music is basically caveman banging rocks together music, but it has a purpose - To get your ass shaking, and it does a damn good job, and that's why I love it and play it. Whereas other types of music like jazz or classical for example are meant for your brain. You may abhor Soulja Boy, but you can't deny that his music serves a purpose that Miles Davis can't even touch... And vice versa. I'm probably not going to get wasted and go out expecting to hear jazz on a huge club system, but I will probably roast one and switch it on at home!

Seems to me he's just into analog gear and "headier" music these days. Whatever floats your boat. The only analog gear I own is my bass and a compressor pedal. Even my amp is solid state. A good artist will do better on shitty digital gear than a shitty artist on good analog gear. So what's wrong with liking both?
Last edited by hacktheplanet on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:41 pm

I think there is a signature sound that can be attained with Live's stock instruments. I think monolake's albums have that sound (it works.) if any DAW colors the sound their competition can put out full page ads in trade magazines showing that.

the guy's a tool. his constant mention of jazz underlines that. "I'm so cool, I'm going to start working with jazz. jazz man, jazz." music made for the people that make it, YAWN!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:49 pm

wouldn't say he is hating on ableton. he just says that you can recognize stuff made in ableton. he probably means stuff that features warp-artifacts, beat repeat and resonator.

and he is probably right that real-life acoustic instruments have a certain quality in sound that is still hard to achieve with synthetic music. I mean, take a skilled tabla-player and try to do something as rich as that with a drum-machine. nearly impossible.

doesn't mean that digital music is less worthy.

but if your main interest is sound, then I agree - good instrumentalists playing good instruments on a well recorded record deliver.