Syllabus for teaching Ableton to newbies?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airbase

Syllabus for teaching Ableton to newbies?

Post by Airbase » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:52 pm

So I've been asked by a music production association in my home town if I could possibly host a 2h introductionary class in how to use Ableton to produce music.

I know just about everything there is to know about Ableton, but I've hardly ever tried to teach anyone how to get started (well, except referring them to the built in lessons).

So, I'd really like to try to do this, I want to help spread the word about Ableton. But as I have no previous teaching experience, I believe I need to sit down and come up with a syllabus for what I need and should cover, and in what order.

I'm trying to google my way around to find something to get me started, but I'm getting nothing.

So, do any of you have any suggestions how I should approach this? Maybe you have some links to present to me that I couldn't find myself?

Any help is appreciated!
Long Live Live.

nebulae

Re: Syllabus for teaching Ableton to newbies?

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I think this depends on the audience. If they are DJs, there's a nice set of videos called DJing with Live 8. If it's for production, then there are several other videos.

The reason I mention the videos is that you can see how they break down the functionality of Live into chunks, and that will help you pace your 2-hour talk.

Generally, I would start with (based on the audience), a nice, complex Liveset. You take about 5-10 minutes to perform it so that people get blown away. Then you start breaking down each component of the liveset. I would say you'd break it down like this:
1. How to build sounds
2. How to build instruments
3. How to build effects
4. How to mix
5. How to route audio in Live's signal path
6. How to mixdown
7. How to perform what you created

And then bring it all home by piecing it all together for your massive liveset at the end.

Airbase

Post by Airbase » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Those are great tips, thank you very much. However, this class would be only about the music production side of Ableton Live.
Long Live Live.

ciw

Post by ciw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:15 pm

From what I see here I would say the essentials are
  • importing a short house loop and messing around with beat repeat
  • failing to understand mixing
  • blaming the mix quality on poor mastering
  • making self-righteous arguments about file sharing (either side of debate accepted)
  • mocking 'tarnce'
  • putting off all creative thought until your imaginary dream feature is implemented in live 9
  • messing around on the forum instead of writing music

Airbase

Post by Airbase » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Hehe.
Long Live Live.

ciw

Post by ciw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:20 pm

But seriously ...

I have taught this going the other way. Depending on your audience decide on whether you're going to record midi or audio (audio is easier especially if the learner has an external instrument to play).

Record a few audio loops (keyboards, voice) and layer them up. Add rhythm from drum loops (easiest way to start). Introduce some simple effects - delay, reverb.

If you have to go the midi way instead - stick to one synth (operator would seem like an obvious choice though i've never bought/used it) and some presets then work with layering as above.

I've only taught a couple of people this so take all advice with a pinch of salt.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm

The reason I recommend a pre-made Liveset/song is that you can set up complex racks and routings, and then break it down. The concept is that you can see the big picture, break it down to the parts in the session, and then rebuild the big picture step by step to the final arrangement.

Doing it from scratch works also, but make sure you have a tight script.

ciw

Post by ciw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Agreed neb, I'm definitely not saying bottom-up is the only way... I really like the idea of a having a complex set to impress people but I don't know how much breaking it down I'd be able to do in 2 hours. I'd rather give people an impression of simplicity in the hands-on experience, and demonstrate everything else towards the end to make the point that there are powerful tools as well (and you can learn about them in another course...)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:58 pm

^agreed...you wouldn't want to overwhelm them with a massive liveset..just saying that have some built-in complexity, even with just 8 tracks or so. Then break it down.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Nebs idea of taking a complex set and breaking it down and building it up again is a good one but you need to think about how much knowledge of music and music technology your students will have. I've been teaching basic sound production using Ableton for the last two years and stepping into the shoes of the total newb is the hardest part. For example some students don't know whst a high hat is, the've never needed that knowlege before. So now i include an introduction to the drumkit handout that explains each drum element along with EQ and compression tips for the more advanced stages.
Personally for the first class I'd do a tour of the interface drawing comparisons tbetween elements and real world mixing desks and show how the two views depend on each other, explain clips and why session is good for working with them. Then I'd get them to drag in an Impulse preset into a midi channel, explain what a bar is and get them to make a 44 kick drum beat with snares on 2&4 and off beat high hats. Then they can add audio loops (pre-warped) and try combinations, you can probably think of other things to show them at this point.

Really dependant on student ability. Computers just aren't intuitive to everyone especially older students who may not understand drag and drop for example. I found it usefull to draft a questionare for the students on the first night with questions like
1. Have you used any music software before? if so give details.
2. Is there any area of this course your worried about (you could give a rough outlay of the things you'd like to cover beforehand)
3. Are there any specific areas you would like to see covered?
excetera
This way you can tailor your classes to your students a bit better

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:38 pm

^great suggestions

One other thing to add...when teaching Live to a noob, I've found that the following areas are the most confusing:

1. The relationship between Session and Arrange
2. What are you actually seeing at the bottom of the screen? Clip properties? Midi panel? Track properties?
3. Clip-level automation vs. track-level automation

These are advanced topics, but for a newbie, these will get them lost in a hurry.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Obviously what follows is just my opinion - what I'd do in your position
I think it would be useful to break the 2 hours up into smaller blocks - each of which introduces a concept - goes through the absolute basics as a front of room presentation... maybe 15 minutes, then there's a 5 minute question and answer session, then there's the next bit of talking. Each taught section can then be thought of as a conversation--- write down what you'd want to say about the topic and get it so you've really structured your thinking on each area. Two hours is a long time to listen but its a really short period of time in which to learn about something like Live - so the tuition will have to be really structured if its going to be anything more than a ramble through things you like."My favourite beat repeat settings and other stories..."

I hope you enjoy the expereience and help others to make the music they want to make.
:)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

nebulae wrote:

2. What are you actually seeing at the bottom of the screen? Clip properties? Midi panel? Track properties?
Yeah the tabs at the bottom right that flick between say an Impulse and the midi clips on the same channel really need pointing out. As does the fact session view has scroll bars, I've often had people think they lost their Clips when the scroll had just moved them out of view. Oh and Mute and Solo buttons.

Do you have a computer with Live for each student or is it all from an overhead projector?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Double post

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:56 pm

I teach for a living.
I actually teach cooking to International students, mostly Chinese and Korean.
I've got teaching qualifications up the wazoo so every thing i am about to write is based on that.
First off, plan your teaching session.
Don't teach for two hours, break it up into 15 minute blocks with a ten minute Q&A.
Before you start tell your class that this is how it will work and to hold all questions till then.
I have no idea what level your audience will be at as far as DAW recording is concerned.

I would assume some experience and spend the first 15 minutes pointing out how live can be seen as
a traditional DAW. Go over opening it and how its file structure works and how to create audio and midi tracks.
And how to save a session or create a user template that opens every time.
explain the preferences panel and how to set up midi and audio.

The next 15 minutes show how to add devices to tracks and how to create sends.
This would be a cool time to show how to show and hide the sends and receive channels.
Also explain how the cue and master channel work.

This would be a good time to take a break for poohs and wee's.
Maybe 20 minutes.

Next 15 minutes show clip automation.
warping.
maybe how REX files are handled.

The next 15 minutes show how to create midi and audio clips.
Drag and drop from the browser.
elaborate on the file system including the favorites.
How to change device "Presets" using hot swap.
Show how to show and hide the browser and the device strip using key commands.

The last part maybe follow Nebs advice and have a prepared live set to open and show how you have used all of this stuff.

Just a suggestion,,,,

Really though, write down what you want to do, and plan it to a time line, then stick to the time.
Oh, and make it fun and active...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud