LaunchPad's Mixer Moder question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bendybones

LaunchPad's Mixer Moder question

Post by bendybones » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Doesn't it seem that this won't be all that useful - especially for track faders - because you only get 8 increments.

I wold love to see something like:
When controlling Send A for example...
Press and hold the "Send A' Button on LaunchPad's side column to switch the resolution of the column of 8 pads such that instead of controlling the send level in 8 increments of it's full scale, they temporarily control 8 increments between the current poistion and what would be the next 1/8th increment of the full scale.

Hope that made some sense - typing on my way out the door.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

citizenchris099

Re: LaunchPad's Mixer Moder question

Post by citizenchris099 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 pm

bendybones wrote:Doesn't it seem that this won't be all that useful - especially for track faders - because you only get 8 increments.

Press and hold the "Send A' Button on LaunchPad's side column to switch the resolution of the column of 8 pads such that instead of controlling the send level in 8 increments of it's full scale, they temporarily control 8 increments between the current poistion and what would be the next 1/8th increment of the full scale.

it seems a great many people are under the impression that the LP has been released and we've all had a chance to evaluate the device for ourselves. It hasn't and you know about as much as any of us.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
bendybones wrote:Doesn't it seem that this won't be all that useful - especially for track faders - because you only get 8 increments.

it seems a great many people are under the impression that the LP has been released and we've all had a chance to evaluate the device for ourselves. It hasn't and you know about as much as any of us.
Ehm. Speak for yourself perhaps?
He's right about how it currently works.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

he's never touched one and is whining about feature improvements?

wow.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 pm

He does have a bit of a point tho... With only 8 steps those movements may sound choppy... Only time will tell.
Because Whatever.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:43 pm

looks like tone has a cousin. but at least he trys to answer questions while telling you not to ask them.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Mint Invader wrote:He does have a bit of a point tho... With only 8 steps those movements may sound choppy... Only time will tell.
he doesn't know that. I'd think that there would be a curve applied to the steps to smooth it out. it's not like the guys that design this stuff are so clueless to not know about zippering.

student - post something worth a shit, anything, please.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:21 pm

morning to you too :D I see it's as cold up there as it is down here

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: the forum is abuzz today. ;)

it's never cold down there. I was down there a week ago today drove the Hollywood Freeway through LA, it was overcast but still a perfect 72'. LA is weird man, really weird.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Mint Invader wrote:He does have a bit of a point tho... With only 8 steps those movements may sound choppy... Only time will tell.
he doesn't know that. I'd think that there would be a curve applied to the steps to smooth it out. it's not like the guys that design this stuff are so clueless to not know about zippering.

student - post something worth a shit, anything, please.
These are the volume values of the 8 buttons. Immediate jump, no fade ramp.

- -inf

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:45 pm

cool, thanks for the low down, I'm surprised they didn't smooth that out, f-ing n00bs.

1 - is it annoying?
2 - when will you and Mach release a patch to fix it?

this is me eating my words. :D :(
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Tone Deft wrote:cool, thanks for the low down, I'm surprised they didn't smooth that out, f-ing n00bs.

1 - is it annoying?
2 - when will you and Mach release a patch to fix it?

this is me eating my words. :D :(
1 - Not really. I'm not expecting smooth mixes from this. Its something a knob and a fader can't do, jump to a value immediately. I use this in conjunction with knobs..

2 - We got bigger fish to fry :)

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Not whining just throwing out my POV for discussion as I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Plenty of people have had their hands on one. Some of whom are on this forum.

Obviously there is no smoothing out or it would have been mentioned.

@Tone
Map a fader to the range C-G and you'll see what happens.
There's no answer to whether it's annoying coz that would of course be context dependent.
But I wouldn't imagine it is that useful... to me.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm

I understand the effect, you were right, I was shooting my keyboard off again. I blame all the APC vs. Launch Pad posts, all the speculation, enough already.

you picked up on a good point, my bad.

in the APC vs. LP throw down, the APC scores a point with smooth track volume control. I am amazed they didn't smooth the LP's curves. so it goes.

hoffman - loves me some fried fish! if you don't mind I'm going to start routing half my paycheck to the CovOps. now that you've grown by 50% who knows what you're cooking up.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I understand the effect, you were right, I was shooting my keyboard off again. I blame all the APC vs. Launch Pad posts, all the speculation, enough already.

you picked up on a good point, my bad.

in the APC vs. LP throw down, the APC scores a point with smooth track volume control. I am amazed they didn't smooth the LP's curves. so it goes.

hoffman - loves me some fried fish! if you don't mind I'm going to start routing half my paycheck to the CovOps. now that you've grown by 50% who knows what you're cooking up.
Again I'd like to stress that the current method with the volume slider buttons has its advantages too.
Say you quickly want a few specific tracks at half volume to mix in another set of clips which you can control from another controller with knobs or faders. No chance of overshooting a fixed value. And you can control 2 separate parts of your set.

As for the cooking. The three of us are busy. We're all sporting a launchpad and Andy and I have been tinkering away at the blinking lights (4 shades of 3 colors ftw :) ).
Nick is hard at work too and we're cooking up more stuff between the 3 of us.

Tone my man. Its time for you to relax. You want your volume curves? You got em! 8 buttons linked to a line object.. How hard can it be? Want exponential curves? You do the maths!
There are some serious caliber geeks currently trying to make and break M4L, but you know how we hate to be outgeeked :wink: