Which control surface for mixing Ableton in studio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jazzmanjazzhead

Which control surface for mixing Ableton in studio?

Post by jazzmanjazzhead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:27 am

I am using Live 8 suite and Logic 8 and finding that Ableton Live is suiting my needs more than Logic!
I currently use an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 but having problems mapping faders to more than 8 tracks in Live, plus it's taking up too much space!
I want to invest in either a keyboard controller such as Novation Remote SL Mk2 or Akai MPK with faders which could be used for controlling both Live & Logic or something more like a traditional external mixer such as Euphonix, Mackie or an Akai APC40. The APC40 would seem a good route to go down, although mainly dedicated to Ableton Live.
Another thought was to ReWire Live as the master and use Logic as the slave, and use Live as the main workflow - therefore using "dedictaed" Ableton/Akai hardware would be ok. Any views on this?

What are you Ableton guys using? Would be interested to hear from you.

Cheers :)

citizenchris099

Re: Which control surface for mixing Ableton in studio?

Post by citizenchris099 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:38 am

jazzmanjazzhead wrote:I am using Live 8 suite and Logic 8 and finding that Ableton Live is suiting my needs more than Logic!
I currently use an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 but having problems mapping faders to more than 8 tracks in Live, plus it's taking up too much space!
I want to invest in either a keyboard controller such as Novation Remote SL Mk2 or Akai MPK with faders which could be used for controlling both Live & Logic or something more like a traditional external mixer such as Euphonix, Mackie or an Akai APC40. The APC40 would seem a good route to go down, although mainly dedicated to Ableton Live.
Another thought was to ReWire Live as the master and use Logic as the slave, and use Live as the main workflow - therefore using "dedictaed" Ableton/Akai hardware would be ok. Any views on this?

What are you Ableton guys using? Would be interested to hear from you.

Cheers :)
I was in the same situation needing a control set up w/a smaller footprint. I think i've found a decent solution

Akai MPK25 (amazing keyboard w/tons of knobs and buttons/pads)
A&H Xone 2D (hybrid asio soundcard and midi controller)
*planning on adding a Launchpad for clip matrix capabilities

this set up is pretty rad and keeps things running smooth. I have a decent lil template setup in Live w/all my mappings set up.
Hope this helps

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:36 pm

BCF 2000, Mackie emulation mode. 8 motorised faders, and you can bank up/down ad infinitum with
Mackie mode. No manual mapping needed; you just load a preset on the controller, select "Mackie
Control classic" in the MIDI prefs, and you're good to go. Couple it with a BCR, and you have
all the control you need.

An 88 key keyboard is waaaay too big as a control surface anyway.

jazzmanjazzhead

Post by jazzmanjazzhead » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks to all who replied.
I have taken the plunge and bought AKAI APC40, and have to say it's brilliant. It has solved all my midi mapping problems, and is very intuitive to use.
I also looked the Novation Launchpad, and can see its place for DJ clip launching, but most of my work is studio based, so having the knobs and faders is a clear benefit.
Will likely get AKAI MPK61 when it gets released in UK, need to ditch the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, tried to resolve midi mapping issues via their Tech Support. Gave up in the end!
As a newcomer to Ableton Live I have to say I have been very impressed with Tech Support from Akai and Ableton. They have been brilliant.

Regards
Jazzmanjazzhead

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Congratulations Jazzmanjazzhead. I'm running an APC40 in the studio as well, and recommend checking out nativeKONTROL's apC-CL1+TC1 script. The Navigation Mode in CL1 offers one button access to most of the editing and navigation features in Live, and the Sends Mode in TC1 allows the 8 send knobs to be Sends A - H of a single track. The CL1 also allows scrolling by holding the Bank Select button, rather than pressing it each time; and has an option where the faders max out at 0db when pushed to the top. The CL1+TC1 combo is $35, and there are videos on the site which demonstrate the various modes.

I'm not a rep, just a user and a recent fan of Stray's of work. The APC40 is brilliant as it is, yet these presets make it even more so.

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Eucon doesn t work with Live...
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

vicz

Post by vicz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Unfortunately Logic can only be a Rewire master, not a slave.