really good studio monitors for mixing/mastering?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beatport

Re: really good studio monitors for mixing/mastering?

Post by Beatport » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:14 am

Many of the suggestions mentioned above are mass marketed "pro-sumer" grade for retail outlets like guitar center, sam's ass etc.

If you are really serious about upgrading to mastering grade monitors you need to look at some Lipinskis, K&H, Focal, or the upper end Adams

theque

Post by theque » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 am

check these threads on gearslutz, these dudes tend to be quite on the case.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/search.p ... d=22503607

cbentley

Post by cbentley » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 am

Definitely check out the Focal Twin6 Be or Solo6 Be's.

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 am

For truly serious range and accuracy you really can't do much better than these:

http://www.manger-audio.co.uk/manger-speakers.htm

Used in several mastering studios I know of...

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 am

As far as I know its good to have separate ppeakers for mixing and mastering. The mixing speakers are more precise in the stereo image and buildt in a way that they can handle clipping at a level where normal speakers could take damage. The mastering monitors are usually more like normal speakers, with some mid-range accentuation, a wide stereo spread and buildt in a way that they can easily vibrate (the mixing monitors, since buildt more sturdy, don´t vibrate that much).

Cant explain it very well in english, anyway, if you want to spend some cash I´d rather go for good mixing monitors and separate mastering monitors. I hear for mastering there are some good Wharfedale loudspeakers. I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, just for my home hifi, they are really good and cheap for what they do.

So in your case I´d probably go with Genelecs for mixing and Wharfedale for mastering.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 am

Grappadura wrote:As far as I know its good to have separate ppeakers for mixing and mastering. The mixing speakers are more precise in the stereo image and buildt in a way that they can handle clipping at a level where normal speakers could take damage. The mastering monitors are usually more like normal speakers, with some mid-range accentuation, a wide stereo spread and buildt in a way that they can easily vibrate (the mixing monitors, since buildt more sturdy, don´t vibrate that much).

Cant explain it very well in english, anyway, if you want to spend some cash I´d rather go for good mixing monitors and separate mastering monitors. I hear for mastering there are some good Wharfedale loudspeakers. I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, just for my home hifi, they are really good and cheap for what they do.

So in your case I´d probably go with Genelecs for mixing and Wharfedale for mastering.
exactly!!!!, mixing and mastering monitors are two different pair of shoes...

mixing: Genelec or PMC (my personal suggestions) of course stuff like focal, dynaudio, adams... are also worth a listen...

mastering: Bower & Wilkins (nearly any from their middle class speakers upwards) or the amazing wharfedale diamond 8.2s (the most used B set monitor in mastering studios and many engineers all time faves) or the PMC mastering range (dress warm for prices!)

mastering on the same set of monitors you have mixed on is as stupid (before i get flamed, in translation: you simply not understand the point of real worthy mastering) as mastering your own material.
*** Image GAFM ***

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

SubFunk wrote: exactly!!!!
actually it was you who told me this :) , and it makes a lot of sense
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

bmb

Post by bmb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm

have a look at the ATC range - I've been using some SCM50's recently which are phenomenal, although rather expensive. they do a wide range though.

B&W 801's are very well regarded too, and although expensive you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand pair for around 2500 euro :)

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:36 pm

abort wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
sunaivod wrote:Rokit (Krk), good price, good quality.

It's fan-tas-tic.
/facepalm

I've heard the VXT series is worth a look but the KRKs are entry level toys shamefully used in most Guitar Center synth rooms.

Such a downer ..KRKs suck dirty butt nuts. The high range drills through you hears like a hot knife and the bass is absorbed through its own insulation.

I'm happy with it. Jeez.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

H20nly wrote:Image

random picture brand FTW!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

how much are these btw?

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:42 pm

WOW!!!!!

thanks for all the replies guys!

a lot to look(and listen) into(except for KRK's.no offense,but these a totally NOT suited for my goals)

anyway,all the best!

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:47 pm

i also asked one of my favorite artists of all time this same question yesterday.
here's the reply :

"This is a tough question. I am very fussy about monitors, and I am not very excited about most of the powered speakers available that companies market to small studios. The Mackie speakers are not much worse than the others. If you prefer a small powered speaker, maybe you should listen to the recent Focal speakers, from France. Their mid- and top end systems are very nice, although maybe a bit bright. I think Dynaudio BM15 are good, in your price range. I like the Lipinski L707, but they are rather expensive, and need an external power amp. Often I think a better choice is with high-end consumer audiophile speakers, which will need an external amp but give much better imaging and depth than most studio monitors. I am fond of the designs of John Dunlavy, who died in 2007. If you can find Dunlavy SCIIIb speakers, give a listen. I use Duntech Sovereigns for my main system and Dunlavy SCII for surround and I am very happy with them - speakers like this are available used for good prices. (I don’t know where you live, though, so every region is different.) "

anybody heard those he mentioned?(Duntech and Dunlavy)

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:02 pm

nuxnamon wrote:give the new Event Opals a try.. if not, give the focal cm65's a try..
really curious about the Event Opals.never heard them though.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I doubt that you would be disappointed with a lot of the suggestions here. However, a lot of it is personal preference. I'll just add that the Focals deserve a try out before you make a final decision. I won't say that they are better than any of the others mentioned but I think they hold their own nicely in the price bracket you mentioned.

photonal

Post by photonal » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:53 pm

I Image my Active Genelec's (with sub-woofer).

Clarity + Power !
Last edited by photonal on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.