Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slaykent

Re: Hmm.... I wonder where they got this idea from.....?

Post by slaykent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:05 pm

delicioso wrote:
kb420 wrote:
McQ714 wrote:last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.
Crossfader.
I think y'all are missing the specifics of what McQ714 was asking about. Neither track mute button or crossfader wil do "temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it" That's more like the legato mode of clips in the same tracks that mute each other.
Why would you need to stop the clip at all? All you need is for the clip to not output its sound for an unspecified period of time. The crossfader or track mute button will do exactly that. If you really want to stop a clip and have it resume where you stopped, you're s*** out of luck. Seems kind of silly though, when you can get the same results with the aforementioned methods.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 pm

show me... on a novation launchpad for instance, how you would go about triggering clips and crossfading or muting them at the same exact time. the APC is a totally different story, in theory, if that's how you intend to use the crossfader, i suppose it's possible. but that would prove to be a difficult Live set to setup or change on the fly with the APC.

here's the thing... there's probably not many things that Live can't do. but so many of those things are because guys have come up with workarounds, not that Live can just do these things out of the box. it's not that Live is that complex, it's that Ableton has given the artists the tools they need to make them complex and set up however they see fit. they saw a new way of doing things and did them. and with m4l, i doubt we'll be seeing much more advancement from Ableton themselves. it's pretty complete for what it is intended to be. and i don't think they want to bloat it anymore than is absolutely necessary. i can only see them working on bug fixes and new m4l commands or scripts or whatever they call them. i doubt a new version will be released every year. what more would they be adding that would or could be considered a new version?

Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 pm

where I come from that's biting.

cakewalk (booed off stage) :arrow:
the Gargoyle

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm

kb420 wrote:
McQ714 wrote:last part of the video... can Live do that? can you play a clip from the beginning, temporarily stop playing that clip and trigger it again keeping with the timeline playing from the point it would have been had you not stopped playing it? like a temporary mute on just that clip i guess is what it would be.

Crossfader.

hahahaha...brilliant.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm

slaykent wrote:Why would you need to stop the clip at all?
Uh, because the question was about ""temporarily stop playing that clip."
slaykent wrote:The crossfader or track mute button will do exactly that.
No, they won't do what McQ714 asked.
slaykent wrote:If you really want to stop a clip and have it resume where you stopped, you're s*** out of luck.
No, you're not. You can achieve this with legato mode with clips in a same track as I mentioned before. The difference being this is triggering clips, not scenes.

Anyway, looking at the last part of that video, it doesn't seem that clear whether what McQ714 is describing is what's really happening and that it's not just scenes being triggered from the beginning each time.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
kb420 wrote:
Crossfader.
hahahaha...brilliant.
:roll: Not so brilliant or brainy, are we? :mrgreen:
Learn to read and comprehend people! If what McQ714 was asking about could so obvioiusly be done with a crossfader or track mutes, the question would not have been asked. What delicioso suggested seems to be the closest thing.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 pm

It just equivalent legato launch mode and probably 1/8 launch quantize.

It yo really want, live can be set up to pseudo randomise/automate that kind 'beat' juggling with the follow actions. I guess when the sonar 'matrix' grows up maybe it will manage that too...
Nothing to see here - move along!

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm

delicioso wrote:
slaykent wrote:Why would you need to stop the clip at all?
Uh, because the question was about ""temporarily stop playing that clip."
slaykent wrote:The crossfader or track mute button will do exactly that.
No, they won't do what McQ714 asked.
slaykent wrote:If you really want to stop a clip and have it resume where you stopped, you're s*** out of luck.
No, you're not. You can achieve this with legato mode with clips in a same track as I mentioned before. The difference being this is triggering clips, not scenes.

Anyway, looking at the last part of that video, it doesn't seem that clear whether what McQ714 is describing is what's really happening and that it's not just scenes being triggered from the beginning each time.
It's really amazing how worked up people get on these forums. :mrgreen: In the end, the solutions I and kb420 have suggested will not stop the clip playing but will achieve the exact same audible results. The clip will be inaudible when you crossfade or hit the track mute button, then when you press that same button or move the crossfader back, your clip is playing again. The legato trick will probably work too. So while you are correct it is not exactly answering the question, we're really just arguing semantics.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 pm

slaykent wrote:It's really amazing how worked up people get on these forums. :mrgreen: In the end, the solutions I and kb420 have suggested will not stop the clip playing but will achieve the exact same audible results. The clip will be inaudible when you crossfade or hit the track mute button, then when you press that same button or move the crossfader back, your clip is playing again. The legato trick will probably work too. So while you are correct it is not exactly answering the question, we're really just arguing semantics.
It's really amazing how eagerly people spout off things they don't understand in these forums. Case in point:
slaykent wrote:In the end, the solutions I and kb420 have suggested will not stop the clip playing but will achieve the exact same audible results. The clip will be inaudible when you crossfade or hit the track mute button, then when you press that same button or move the crossfader back, your clip is playing again.
Go back and read McQ714's question again. It's not about just cutting sound in and out of a playing clip. Anyone who knows what a crossfader or a mute button is can do that. What is being discussed is stopping a playing clip temporarily and when that clip starts playing again, it starts playing from the exact point where it stopped.
slaykent wrote:The legato trick will probably work too.
Legato mode is the only thing that has been mentioned that will do what was asked. Do you even know what a legato mode is and what it does? :roll:

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

humnumb wrote:
slaykent wrote:It's really amazing how worked up people get on these forums. :mrgreen: In the end, the solutions I and kb420 have suggested will not stop the clip playing but will achieve the exact same audible results. The clip will be inaudible when you crossfade or hit the track mute button, then when you press that same button or move the crossfader back, your clip is playing again. The legato trick will probably work too. So while you are correct it is not exactly answering the question, we're really just arguing semantics.
It's really amazing how eagerly people spout off things they don't understand in these forums. Case in point:
slaykent wrote:In the end, the solutions I and kb420 have suggested will not stop the clip playing but will achieve the exact same audible results. The clip will be inaudible when you crossfade or hit the track mute button, then when you press that same button or move the crossfader back, your clip is playing again.
Go back and read McQ714's question again. It's not about just cutting sound in and out of a playing clip. Anyone who knows what a crossfader or a mute button is can do that. What is being discussed is stopping a playing clip temporarily and when that clip starts playing again, it starts playing from the exact point where it stopped.
slaykent wrote:The legato trick will probably work too.
Legato mode is the only thing that has been mentioned that will do what was asked. Do you even know what a legato mode is and what it does? :roll:
Yes, I do what legato does, thanks. I just had not tried it as a solution, so I did not want to confirm absolutely that it worked. :lol: I was trying to find a workaround for this a few weeks ago, and the track mute solution works for me. Sorry that you feel the need to shoot me down in the forums. I won't waste my time arguing with someone who wants to insult rather than discuss; that's not a good use of time. If I wanted that, I would watch cable news.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:45 pm

humnumb wrote:Go back and read McQ714's question again. It's not about just cutting sound in and out of a playing clip. Anyone who knows what a crossfader or a mute button is can do that. What is being discussed is stopping a playing clip temporarily and when that clip starts playing again, it starts playing from the exact point where it stopped.
No he isn't, why don't you go back and read it. That's what I thought he put at first, then realized what he was on about was a glorified mute button.

Obvious Alias

Post by Obvious Alias » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Sage wrote:
humnumb wrote:Go back and read McQ714's question again. It's not about just cutting sound in and out of a playing clip. Anyone who knows what a crossfader or a mute button is can do that. What is being discussed is stopping a playing clip temporarily and when that clip starts playing again, it starts playing from the exact point where it stopped.
No he isn't, why don't you go back and read it. That's what I thought he put at first, then realized what he was on about was a glorified mute button.
What he is talking about, in fact, is a Pause Clip button. Muting or crossfading do not address this as they simply cut the sound out, but the clip continues playing even if you cannot here the audio. What McQ714 wants to do is have the clip stop, while the rest of the audio continues playing, and when he chooses, bring the clip back into the mix starting from the point where it was removed from playing, i.e. if it was 1 minute and thirty-two seconds into the clip, he would then pause that clip while the rest of the audio continues to play, and when he re-triggers the paused clip, it begins playing from the 1:32 point.
I like cheese.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm

You play a clip that say's "you freakin' people don't understand what I'm talking about"..

You stop the clip after "you freakin' people.." you want the clip to then start from ".. don't understand what I'm talking about".

Get it? It's not that difficult, maybe he phrased it weird but I understood what he was trying to get at.

Yeah Legato was a good suggestion, you'd be using 2 identical clips right?

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Competition good.

All companies take ideas from wherever they can and incorporate them into their own products.

Ableton are indeed innovators but I doubt they could patent the session view idea as much as the Propellerheads could patent connecting instruments with cables, especially considering the idea is a copy of how things were done in the old days.

We should all be grateful to Sonar for any extra developments they can come up with, as soon enough, Ableton will incorporate the better ideas into Live.

Everyone needs a kick up the arse sometimes.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:26 pm

outershpongolia wrote:Yeah Legato was a good suggestion, you'd be using 2 identical clips right?
Actually now that I think about it more, not even Legato mode trick would do that. This is because playing multiple clips in the same track all set to legato mode will cut each other off but the clip that takes over will retain the position of the playhead from the previous clip that it cut off, as opposed to the previous clip retaining the position when it's cut off so that it starts playing again from that position when it's triggered again.

So I guess the correct answer would be "wait for M4L".