Presonus Firebox

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
badguy#5

Presonus Firebox

Post by badguy#5 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 am

just wanted to know if anyone used this for recording and for djing with ableton and how it was thanks

blackboab

Re: Presonus Firebox

Post by blackboab » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:56 am

super ... especially on OSX

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 am

Yeah pretty good for the money...I have used my friends Apogee(spel?) Duet and that sounded better but it's not as many inputs and more expensive...

I use the Firebox for running a hardware Modular Synthesizer(MOTM) system as well as guitar/bass and have been pretty happy about it...but at the same time I would say get the BEST you can afford!

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 am

Oh...I have both the Firebox and Firepod...the Duet has less inputs than the Firepod. I like being able to use the Firebox to record with friends into my MacBook.

Both really cool. But would of tried the Apogee Ensemble if I hadn't put everything into instruments.

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 am

I stumbled across an article recently about the Firebox that put me off it. I'll try to find it again, but it basically said that the mic pre's are below par. Would be interesting to hear from users if this is really the case.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:59 am

gjm wrote:I stumbled across an article recently about the Firebox that put me off it. I'll try to find it again, but it basically said that the mic pre's are below par. Would be interesting to hear from users if this is really the case.
after my experience it's the best bang for the buck around in any respect, especially outstanding is the reliability under OSX. it's a workhorse.
there are obviously better ones around... but those are all more expensive...
you can grab a firebox our days for just under 300 euros, that is a no brainer.
*** Image GAFM ***

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 am

This was posted in a thread in the tips and tricks forum. Read the response from 'JD' about 5 comments in. It appears some folks a having trouble running their mics with this unit.

http://www.bradsucks.net/archives/2006/ ... in-update/
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

necho

Post by necho » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 pm

+ 1

Happy firebox user.

Solid, reliable and good quality. Definitely about the best value for money!
_________
sigs suck.

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 pm

The mic pres are better than any others I own... but then my others are behringers :) Great value for money. Plus, the headphone volume goes to 11. I am a happy firebox user.

This is regardless of the fact that it failed me for the first time in 3 years last weekend. The power supply fried just before a gig (ouch). Unable to find a replacement 16v ac supply at that moment, I didn't play. The next day I looked at the back of the firebox. The power in jack says (amazingly)

12-20v dc or 16v ac.

What a great idea, a unit that's not fussy about power - so any of the spare laptop supplies we had would have done the job just fine, doh doh doh!

Not to worry, it was still a good night, and I know for next time. :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

^^^ that is the point about the firebox... It is a workhorse and even starts up with a 9V block battery.
Plus for small and cheap card, the routing possibilities are pretty flexible, too.
*** Image GAFM ***

badguy#5

Post by badguy#5 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm

What about for djing with live thanks for the info Im looking at this and the novation nio the only other one I'm looking at is the motu ultralite by that's a little pricey for me thanks

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Too bad you can't start the Firebox when just connected with a firewire cable to an Intel Macbook. You have to "jump start" it with the power adapter first.

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 am

delicioso wrote:Too bad you can't start the Firebox when just connected with a firewire cable to an Intel Macbook. You have to "jump start" it with the power adapter first.
Hmmm, I use a Firebox as my interface with my MacBook for live performances and it never requires me to plug in the power adapter, it's always worked fine as a bus powered device

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:43 am

towers of silence wrote:
delicioso wrote:Too bad you can't start the Firebox when just connected with a firewire cable to an Intel Macbook. You have to "jump start" it with the power adapter first.
Hmmm, I use a Firebox as my interface with my MacBook for live performances and it never requires me to plug in the power adapter, it's always worked fine as a bus powered device
Depends on which model you have. 17" CoreDuos and all Core2Duos:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=446671

necho

Post by necho » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:34 pm

badguy#5 wrote:What about for djing with live thanks for the info Im looking at this and the novation nio the only other one I'm looking at is the motu ultralite by that's a little pricey for me thanks
DJing or producing.... either way, you want the best sound quality and durability you can afford right?

I wasn't impressed with my mates nio.... but then I do have an irrational hatred of all things novation (really don't know why....)

Get the Firebox. Its just what you need, by the sound of it.
_________
sigs suck.