possible to use the Novation Launchpad to view clips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
samtastic

possible to use the Novation Launchpad to view clips?

Post by samtastic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:23 am

hey all,
is it possible to use the Novation Launchpad to view clips?

For example, could i set it up so that it will launch clips in 'Session' mode, and then view clips (without altering their playing or stopping them) in one of the User modes?

Im using a VCM600 for mixing, looping and effects, but i'd love to be able to work a Launchpad into the set up for triggering clips and viewing clips quickly...

any suggestions : )
Last edited by samtastic on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoopStationZebra

Re: possible to use the Novation Luanchpad to view clips?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm

What do you mean by 'viewing clips'?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 pm

do you mean simply setting a button to display the clip view on your monitor, of that the midi notes of the clip are displayed by the lauchpad's leds?

The first can be done by midi mapping any button the little display that shows how far the clip has played, just above the volumefader on each track.
The second should be possible with max4live. Novation have announced that they will give away a free max4live stepsequencer for use with lauchpad, once m4l has been release. But you will need to buy max4live to be able to use this.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 pm

your typo made me read Lunchpad :) *njam* :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Dexes wrote:But you will need to buy max4live to be able to use this.
Are you sure about that? I asked ableton support if it is possible to run the announced novation step sequencer without the need to purchase the whole max4live environment. They answered me that it is possible to run the novation step sequenzer in Live 8 without the need to get the whole max4live environment unless I want to alter the application or run it in standalone mode!?!

D1D 7h3y G37 m3H wrONG?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 pm

reflective7511 wrote:
Are you sure about that? I asked ableton support if it is possible to run the announced novation step sequencer without the need to purchase the whole max4live environment. They answered me that it is possible to run the novation step sequenzer without the need to get the whole max4live environment unless I want to alter the application or run it in standalone mode!?!

?1? 7|-|3? 937 |\/|3 \/\/?0|\|9?

NICE!!! :D
my post was based on the speculations going on in this forum that one will need m4l to use any m4l objects. If thats an official ableton statement thats really cool. My main reason for buying m4l asap would have been that step sequencer.
If It works just with live that would mean I could (at first) invest the money in a second launchpad and use them combined as a 8 part, 16step sequencer for drum racks...

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Dexes wrote:
reflective7511 wrote:
Are you sure about that? I asked ableton support if it is possible to run the announced novation step sequencer without the need to purchase the whole max4live environment. They answered me that it is possible to run the novation step sequenzer without the need to get the whole max4live environment unless I want to alter the application or run it in standalone mode!?!

my post was based on the speculations going on in this forum that one will need m4l to use any m4l objects. If thats an official ableton statement thats really cool. My main reason for buying m4l asap would have been that step sequencer.
If It works just with live that would mean I could (at first) invest the money in a second launchpad and use them combined as a 8 part, 16step sequencer for drum racks...
That would be cool, but then again Ableton also said the launchpad would work on Live 7...... :twisted:

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Dexes wrote:
reflective7511 wrote:

is that step sequencer out? where can I download it :o
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Step Sequencer isn't out yet from Novation. And everything I've read indicates that it will require M4L to run. I'd love to read the exact wording in that reply from the Abes that says you won't need M4L....
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 pm

thx
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:35 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Step Sequencer isn't out yet from Novation. And everything I've read indicates that it will require M4L to run. I'd love to read the exact wording in that reply from the Abes that says you won't need M4L....
I would be great if it came with a future update, and magically appeared in our devices list for those who own launchpads. Get on it abes :twisted:

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:40 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Step Sequencer isn't out yet from Novation. And everything I've read indicates that it will require M4L to run. I'd love to read the exact wording in that reply from the Abes that says you won't need M4L....
Sorry, but the request I made was some weeks ago and I deleted a lot of my e-mails since then.

samtastic

Re: possible to use the Novation Launchpad to view clips?

Post by samtastic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 am

cheers guys,
Dexes answered my question. i didnt realise clicking on that little rectangular field would look at what was playing on that track currently. and i fixed my typo.

got the Lanchpad yesterday, installed Live.7.0.18 and all is well. what fun!

samtastic

Re: possible to use the Novation Launchpad to view clips?

Post by samtastic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 am

ok, another question:

is it possible to set up two midi buttons (probably on the VCM600) so that they will zoom in/out? would be good for zooming in/out on clips that are currently playing