I get to see Skinny Puppy in a couple hours

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

I get to see Skinny Puppy in a couple hours

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 am

Very excited, they've been a huge influence on me musically. Seen them a few times now, always a great show.

mholloway

Re: I get to see Skinny Puppy in a couple hours

Post by mholloway » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 am

Tarekith wrote:Very excited, they've been a huge influence on me musically. Seen them a few times now, always a great show.
Just saw them on monday here in Portland -- great show, great set-list (especially for us long-time fans), legendary band. Nice!

Have fun!

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:31 am

awesome!! ill be seeing them in december here in vegas. post a review!!
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 am

Coming here to Charlotte on the 20th---Looking very forward to it 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 am

Arrgh, can't do it this time, too late on buying tickets and in the middle of buying a house. Been spending too much as it is. :evil:

One of those bands that live, have gotten a lot better. Saw them after Bites came out, loved the music even more than the new stuff, but the stage show wasn't half as cool as last time.

saulstokes

Post by saulstokes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:06 am

Jeez, I must be getting old. I saw them in Seattle back after Remission with Severed Heads. I think that was like 86......

I still vividly remember the set because they covered all the speakers with white bed sheets and Ogre came out in a body bag with chunks of dirt falling out of it on the floor. They sprayed blood everywhere. Scared the crap out of me.

s

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 am

The opener fucking sucks, ungh.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:04 am

Lucky you... yeah Bites is the best album for me. It's been at least 6-7 years since I listened some Skinny Puppy.

Best of industrial if you ask me.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 am

Earwax69 wrote:Lucky you... yeah Bites is the best album for me. It's been at least 6-7 years since I listened some Skinny Puppy.

Almost like Download better, The Eyes of Stanley Pain is amazing! Also as a guitar player, Godflesh and Ministry have extra points. Puppy has released some pretty lackluster albums at times, but Bites, Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse and Rabies are all right up there!

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Earwax69 wrote:Lucky you... yeah Bites is the best album for me. It's been at least 6-7 years since I listened some Skinny Puppy.

Almost like Download better, The Eyes of Stanley Pain is amazing!
+1 Download over SP all day long for me... Eyes of Stanley Pain is great---but I'm more a Furnace guy.
Like the rawness of it over the others. And Mark Spybey is very present in Furnace. Each one of their
albums is a differnt vibe, which is extrememly original. There latest release---FkN awesome.

petermarchione

Post by petermarchione » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Nice to find other Puppy fans over here. I've been a huge fan since the late 80ies. Not to found of the latest albums though, I kinda miss Dwaynes input. Last Rights was totally awesome. Must be pretty close to world record in having as many sounds playing at the same time :)
/PeterM
http://www.petermarchione.se
Ableton Suite 9.1, Push & various software and HW.
Computer 1: Win 8.1 64, Intel Core i7 @ 3.40 GHz. 12 GB RAM, Steinberg UR824
Computer 2: MacBook Pro 16 GB/RAM running OSX Yosemite

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Last Rights and Too Dark Park were probably my favorite SP albums, I loved the freakish chaos of those.

Concert was pretty good, maybe a tab short. They played a good mix of old and new as usual. Left without playing Warlock and a piece of me died, then they came back and ended with it, so I was happy again. :)

Opener was purely awful though, some guy playing death metal guitar with a laptop running in the background. Just terrible music and performance.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 pm

I'd so love to see Skinny Puppy. So much time spent on acid reveling in the layers upon layers of noise in TDP and Last Rights. Awesome music. I'd love to hear new Godflesh if it ever happened too.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm

ethios4 wrote:So much time spent on acid reveling in the layers upon layers of noise in TDP and Last Rights.
No shit eh'...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:27 pm

ethios4 wrote:I'd so love to see Skinny Puppy. So much time spent on acid reveling in the layers upon layers of noise in TDP and Last Rights. Awesome music. I'd love to hear new Godflesh if it ever happened too.
Did you ever check out Justin Brodrick's new project Jesu? Much more shoe gaze, but of course "crushing weight of the world ladden guitars" ridden shoe gaze! 8)
http://www.myspace.com/jesu