[tow] Don't get Max4Live to work: Not able to authorize

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
trond.lossius

[tow] Don't get Max4Live to work: Not able to authorize

Post by trond.lossius » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:56 pm

I am still not able to test Max4Live.

At https://www.ableton.com/account/licenses/ I am told that I have the following:

Live 8 (Upgrade) + 8 instruments
Live 8 (Beta) + 10 instruments
Libe 8.1 (Beta) + 1 instrument (The instrument is Max4Live)

Whenever I try authorizing, I am told that Live and 8 instruments are authorized on this computer, but alas, no Max4Live.

So, I don't manage to get it working. I have tried online and offline, with the same result. Help would be appreciated.

bulo

Re: Don't get Max4Live to work: Not able to authorize

Post by bulo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Same problem here, but without this part:
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

Siege

Post by Siege » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:12 pm

bulo wrote:Same problem here, but without this part:
yup, me too.

I have:
'Live 8 (Upgrade) + 11 instr' (which includes 'Max For Live (Beta)')
'Live 8 (Beta) + 10 instr" (This doesn't have the M4L beta)

I'm trying to work on a solution other than re-installing OSX.
Should Max4Live be showing up in the "Live 8 (Upgrade)" or "(Beta)" or both?

I also own Max5/MSP+Jitter
Im running Live 8.1b7 and Max/MSP 5.1.0b8 (40856) on OSX 10.5.8

Edit:

Found that It didn't like me replacing the original live app but when I copied it into a new folder and tried hitting the "Authorize this computer" button on the website it installed M4L. Up and running now! :D Was probably using some old config files...

trond.lossius

Post by trond.lossius » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 am

Hi Siege, would you mind providing further details on exactly what you did?

When I downloaded the Live beta version that works with Max4Live, the disk image shows up containing a folder named "Live 8.1b7 OS X". I copied this folder to /Applications. I also have a "Live 8.0.1 OS X" folder, but that one is currently zipped.

Thanks,
Trond

trond.lossius

Post by trond.lossius » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:56 am

Hi again,

if anyone at Ableton actually monitor this thread, could you please take a look at what's wrong here? I believe that this issue might be particular for me, as I have the standard Live license tied in with my mail account @bek.no, while I received the invitation to enter the beta testing to my @gmail.com account. This meant that initially the Live 8.1 and M4L liscnse was disconnected from the rest of my Ableton licenses. I mailed support and got the beta license transferred to to the bek.no mail account, and they now both show up.

Still, somehow it seems that they are not properly connected, and for this reason the M4L authorisation fails when I attempt it.

I suppose you have authorisation logs. If so, I tried authorising again a few minutes ago. I don't know if those logs might contain any useful information?

Thanks,
Trond

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I can't even get THAT. All I get is that I'm authorized for my 10 instruments (Standard Suite shit).

It's not worth the hassle, and I will never buy software before I can try it ad nauseum. I really hope that fix this shit and offer a good workable demo. If not, they are gonna lose a LOT of business. At least, they will lose mine.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

[tow]

Re: [tow] Don't get Max4Live to work: Not able to authorize

Post by [tow] » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi there,

if you start Live 8.1bx when having a Live 8.0.x properly installed, Live 8.1 will silently use the unlock file of 8.0 (so you usually don't have to connect and unlock all products again). If you have your serials in different licenses, it's a bit tricky, as it's not possible to unlock different licenses at once.

If you rename the folder that contains Live's preferences and the unlock file, start Live 8.1 and connect to your account, you should have the possibiliy to choose which of your Live 8 licenses should be used to unlock. Just select the 8.1 one (containing the Max for Live serial) and there you go (this is also an easy possibility to create a dedicated beta library that prevents possible troubles that may occur when beta and non-beta versions share the same library).

Does this help?
Best,

Torsten

rawore

Post by rawore » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:40 pm

torsten:

where do you get the m4l serial number? see no mention on the m4l page. just
starting with open beta, assuming that it would just work.

once tried to apply for closed beta, as I recall, but never heard back.

bob

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:34 am

Still won't work.

Will there be a demo for Max for live, because this one is Max for dead?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:45 am

Torsten wrote:If you rename the folder that contains Live's preferences and the unlock file, start Live 8.1 and connect to your account, you should have the possibiliy to choose which of your Live 8 licenses should be used to unlock. Just select the 8.1 one (containing the Max for Live serial) and there you go (this is also an easy possibility to create a dedicated beta library that prevents possible troubles that may occur when beta and non-beta versions share the same library).

Doesn't work

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Did you sign up to beta test yet or did you just dl the files before trying to authorize them?

You have to log in and officially "join the beta" before you can authorize max

https://www.ableton.com/login?url=http% ... rlive/beta

rawore

Post by rawore » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 am

then i suppose the question is...

what does "open beta" mean?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:22 pm

rawore wrote:then i suppose the question is...

what does "open beta" mean?
I thought it was an unnecessary step as well but I am sure that it is left over from the private-beta days, and they are clearly focusing on more important things.

trond.lossius

Post by trond.lossius » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi,

searching for and trashing all Live related files and folders found in ~/Library finally made me able to authorize M4L.

In the process I lost the authorization of all the add on instruments. So, if I had currently been using Live for real work, the beta would render the app useless.

I seem to have lost all presets for all Live Devices. Opening e.g. Chorus, shows a folder named "Current Project (Temp-2)".

It was not at all intuitive to me how to get Max4Live to work. Why doesn't Live check whether it is installed when it opens, and installs it at that time, rather than showing empty "Max MIDI Effect" folders and only having Max properly install when you click it? With the presets for other Live Devices missing, I was shure that the M4L install was still screwed up.

Hipno doesn't work any longer. That's a major loss.

All in all I'm afraid the initial impression is less than overwhelming, and very different from earlier impressions of Live.

[tow]

Post by [tow] » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Trond,

so you finally did something I mentioned some posts above:
Torsten wrote: If you rename the folder that contains Live's preferences and the unlock file, start Live 8.1 and connect to your account, you should have the possibiliy to choose which of your Live 8 licenses should be used to unlock. Just select the 8.1 one (containing the Max for Live serial) and there you go
That all your device presets are gone is a result of the creation of a new library, because Live 8.1bx doesn't bring any other content than Max stuff. If you haven't really trashed your old library but, as I recommended, simply renamed it, you're presets aren't lost.

We're currently investigating some unclarities with how and when Live respects different Live 8 licenses, which seem to be the reason for problems with authorizing Max for Live when having such. Sorry for any inconvenience.

However, when you have a proper Max for live beta serial in one of your user account licenses, you should always be able to select and authorize it from the start-up authorize dialog screen when doing a fresh Live 8.1 start. To achieve this, simply rename the corresponding Unlock folders (for all, even older Live versions) you find under /User/Library/Application Support/Ableton (Mac) or under Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Ableton/. (Don't delete them, simply rename, if you want to use other Live versions without authorizing again.)
Best,

Torsten