Max for Live - first impressions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4/4

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.
Anyways look at this:
4/4 wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:
I can see your point...though I can see how an "app store" like set up would encourage more patches.
Well, no disrespect Chris, but you clearly don't know jack about the max community. It's huge, positively over-flowing with freely accessible content for those who expose themselves to it. It doesn't need encouragement in that regard. It's not broken. Don't fix it by completely flipping the script. If someone needs financial encouragement to create content, they'll do so of their own accord without being lead down that path. That's how its thrived for years.

I figured if english wasn't your first language it might account for your inexplicable lack of understanding. Now I just realise, a tad too late, that you is some kind of deadpan troll.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 pm

4/4 wrote:Dude, help me out here, is english your first language ?....I'm not attacking anyone, just stating facts as diplomatically as possible.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

douchebag

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm

4/4 wrote:Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, bro, you're right...you're the victim here.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Rave wrote: PMSL you are the troll. What is your affiliation with the Max community?
No no, Rave, you got it backwards. We're all the trolls, and 4 on the floor here is the victim.

Clearly you don't "get it"

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

*shrug*

Well, surprise surprise. People who don't know what they're talking about don't like being told that they're wrong.

Guys I know I've bested you in this discussion when you can't come at me with anything better than bush-league troll bait or lame ad hominems

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:00 pm

4/4 wrote:Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.
Anyways look at this:
4/4 wrote:

I figured if english wasn't your first language it might account for your inexplicable lack of understanding. Now I just realise, a tad too late, that you is some kind of deadpan troll.
First off I'm not a troll...I'm a Smurf. Get it right.
Papa Smurf told me not to feed trolls though so im out of this discussion.
Last edited by citizenchris099 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:02 pm

4/4 you're right. You are either the victim. And/or you've won the debate. All while not slinging any mud or making personal attacks.

And by clearly *shrugging* you simply don't care either way.

Awesomeness.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Rave wrote:I would love to hear your productions?

/Me goes off to write some music
I bet he's got a boatload of Max patches he can share with us for free. Sadly, we don't know what we're talking about, and thus we wouldn't appreciate them. This relationship was over before it started... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PUrNwvvBk

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 pm

nebulae wrote:4/4 you're right. You are either the victim. And/or you've won the debate. All while not slinging any mud or making personal attacks.

And by clearly *shrugging* you simply don't care either way.

Awesomeness.
lets all collectively shrug....one two three....go.

ok now that we've shrugged......so yeah Max4Live....awesome stuff eh?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
About 40 audio effects each with about 5 presets (so far). Too much examples to count. 8 instruments with various amounts of presets. 2 step sequencers, more coming for sure.

Nice to hear that the preset set is too lame to affect the techno scene in any ways badly from the start..
Not with old fashioned ideas...
But i am anyway more scared about what the co genial parts of the user base might do with it..
Guess thats what ableton is hoping for... having the users as unpaid beta testers and now as developers to get the live funky again..
Please understand when i ve to pass out on this opertunity.. even when i have a handfull of usefull patch ideas that would improove my life on stage..
But considering the buggy enviroment i rather stick to my nords..especially because there the work is done allready.. and still so much more to do..

Actually patching with the nords is much more fun than with reaktor..and even more than patching with max..
A bit limited somehow regarding patching sequencers..what is my hobby.. but at least nobody in the nord or reaktor scene is lusting after a step sequencer ... thats kinda lame somehow in the year 2010...

finaly ableton live has the opertunity to have an on board step sequencer..spread the great news.. its only 300 bucks :-))
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

^ you passed 3K and didn't give mad props. You don't deserve a *hug*

but you get one anyway, you filthy stinky frenchie! *hugs and mad props*

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 pm

nebulae wrote:
I'll make you a deal. Write a Max patch that lets me blow you while enjoying a wank in the mirror, and I'll pay $299. Until then STFU and make some blinky music. Bitch.
Now this is classic!!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:17 pm

3phase wrote: finaly ableton live has the opertunity to have an on board step sequencer..spread the great news.. its only 300 bucks :-))
Go to my site. The Covert Seq 0$..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:19 pm

nebulae wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:insipid rant filled with personal attacks
1. The amount of music has nothing to do with me being a lawyer.
OK, that's nice.
2. Me being a lawyer has nothing to do with how geeky I can or want to be.
I'd say it affects how geeky you can get. I'm a formerly trained geek and have been a professional geek for 12 years, it's what I do every single day. I've had to learn about 15 languages by now. when I get a new one they just make sense, I pick them up quickly. have you ever written a line of code in your life? ever done it in your spare time? do you want to talk software or hardware? you can't. it's simply my forte'. you've got talents up the ass, you're a smart guy, nobody questions that but this is not your area and why you have no interest in m4L.
3. What I want to get into has nothing to do with how smart or dumb I am.
see my response to #2. you should know I respect you far more than most posters when it comes to talent and intelligence. still, you're more artist than geek. you're lawyer smart, but when it comes to science you're not. you don't have an interest in science and that's perfectly fine and normal. and no, watching a Transformers movie is not science.
4. What entire communities are or aren't doing has nothing to do with how narrow or open minded I am.
have you ever pursued it? have you ever been involved with a geeky art project? ever spend time writing code just to make an LED blink on a controller? have you ever shown any interest in using science to make art or just dick around with scienceshit? no, and that's what m4L can be about.
5. Where science meets art has nothing to do with the cost of entry.
it affects the desire to pay the cost of entry. I fully appreciate why max/msp/jitter is $700, a lot of people don't get it.
6. Asking me to think past my world is an unreasonable request when you're incapable of doing the same, you do it often.
another lame personal attack. in this case I'm in my comfort zone. the topic at hand is where my head's usually at, it's not where yours is at. I don't need to look past my world to discuss this topic, you do. I do it often? links bitch. omfg you make more threads about yourself than most anyone here, shit you even made a forum all about you. (yes that song is about you.) that's cool though, it's part of the weirdo you are, you wear it well.
7. Being a hardware engineer has nothing to do with this conversation and is irrelevant. Leave your soap box in your cubicle.
you totally don't get it. some of the tools I use resemble max/msp "programming" quite a bit. this is a program called Quartus, I use it to write code in a language called Verilog. you can also encapsulate Verilog into graphical building blocks, just like max/msp.
I'll give you a cookie if you can tell me what that does, it's shit I learned when I was 19 and have been doing it ever since. oh, and it could be something musical.

have you ever looked into the hardware platforms that are available for max/msp?
http://www.cycling74.com/products/hardware
dipshit, that's exactly up my alley. max/msp, software, hardware, me. this is why I called you 'lawyer boy' this stuff is WAY outside your experiences. you don't know the first thing about this stuff, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.
8. Why this appeals to you has nothing to do with this argument. But you have your head so far up your own ass, that you can't see it.
some of us want to discuss it, some of you want to post "I don't want this." we get it, you're a luddite, you don't interest us, we don't care that you don't want it. please stfu and let the rest of us enjoy a good conversation.
You seem to think that a critique of something you like is a personal attack against you. Time and time again, you respond with personal attacks back. Sadly, San Francisco has not really armed you well to go up against a New Yorker, so you'll lose. However, we should elevate this beyond that: I quadruple-dare-challenge you to make one reasonable argument without a personal attack. I don't think you're capable. And every time you get personal, you lose credibility. Try it now. Help me help you.
a whole paragraph of hypocritical bullshit. neb, you're not a New Yorker, look at your mail sometime, you're a goddamn Texan, LOL! sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken. don't be a poser.

you want to talk about cred? what's your cred with geekshit? you know production shit I don't have a clue about, thanks for all you've taught me, truly. I know geekshit about audio that you don't have a clue about. nobody knows it all, sometimes you just have to admit you're out of your comfort zone.

this is GREAT!! it's been too long since we've had a flame war, bring it on little man!!!

oh, and citizenchris099 - lose the lame fucking banner FFS.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Rave wrote: luv u :mrgreen:

BTW I 'sort of' created a thread ;)

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128425
u2, brutha :)

Yeah, I saw that thread and responded.