Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you like an app store for M4L?

Total votes: 0

Rave

Re: Would you like an app store for M4L? (Apps can be free too)

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Poster wrote:I voted No, but actually I don't care if an app store will pop up..
eventually the impact of the sharing community will both be stronger and more interesting..

if you want something to compare; selling Reaktor ensembles does not work..
NI had some packs for sale, they ran ok I think.. primarily because they are of a very high standard..
some other sites offer them, but the User Library is just too powerfull to commercially compete with..

I wouldn't mind paying for a conceptually very very interesting, hard laboured patch..
such as Tim Exile's 'The Finger' Reaktor patch.. class A+.. years of conceptualization/building/finetuning..
those are just very rare and will not let you run a store on that alone..

open source FTW..
To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Rave wrote:To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
The difference is why the fuck would someone sell something they've worked hard on when all someone has to do is hit the edit button, copy the code, and throw it into their own device that they then freely distribute?

Database Rave, it's called a database. Change the damn poll to reflect it, because a "store" is nowhere near anyone's future.
Unsound Designer

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Rave wrote:To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
The difference is why the fuck would someone sell something they've worked hard on when all someone has to do is hit the edit button, copy the code, and throw it into their own device that they then freely distribute?

Database Rave, it's called a database. Change the damn poll to reflect it, because a "store" is nowhere near anyone's future.

hehe, the iphone app store is a database. I used that as an example because both free and paid apps co exist nicely. It is a popular and proven model.
Have you never seen the app store? If you haven't then I guess I need to find another example.

Open source communities are also exposed to people passing off peoples work for money.
Last edited by Rave on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm

stringtapper wrote:

Touche.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Rave wrote:hehe, the iphone app store is a database. I used that as an example because both free and paid apps co exist nicely. It is a popular and proven model.
Have you never seen the app store? If you haven't then I guess I need to find another example.
I have an iPhone sitting on my desk right now. I'm just saying that no one is going to be selling M4L devices anytime soon because there's no way to protect devices.
Unsound Designer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Rave wrote:hehe, the iphone app store is a database. I used that as an example because both free and paid apps co exist nicely. It is a popular and proven model.
I have an iPhone sitting on my desk right now. I'm just saying that no one is going to be selling M4L devices anytime soon because there's no way to protect devices.
that's a good point.

I wouldn't want to sell one because then you're obliged to deal with the bugs and people that aren't using it right.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Rave wrote:
Poster wrote:I voted No, but actually I don't care if an app store will pop up..
eventually the impact of the sharing community will both be stronger and more interesting..

if you want something to compare; selling Reaktor ensembles does not work..
NI had some packs for sale, they ran ok I think.. primarily because they are of a very high standard..
some other sites offer them, but the User Library is just too powerfull to commercially compete with..

I wouldn't mind paying for a conceptually very very interesting, hard laboured patch..
such as Tim Exile's 'The Finger' Reaktor patch.. class A+.. years of conceptualization/building/finetuning..
those are just very rare and will not let you run a store on that alone..

open source FTW..
To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
mixing 'free' and 'paid for' on a site that's called a store, but actually isn't, or only half, is a totally wrong aproach..

that might work for Apple since their products sit in the realm of $$$, and you're happy to filter out the freebees,
but try that in a typical open source minded society as max/reaktor/monome/etc.. >fail..
Last edited by Poster on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Poster wrote:To me an app store is just a db of apps to be shared aka community. U upload something to share on the app store - you set the price to free, what's the difference?
mixing 'free' and 'paid for' on a site that's called a store, but actually isn't, or only half, is a totally wrong aproach..

that might work for Apple since their products sit in the realm of $$$,
but try that in a typical open source minded society as max/reaktor/monome/etc.. >fail..
QFT

EPIC Fail.
Unsound Designer

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

stringtapper wrote:

The model was suggested so we can get a free / cheap M4L runtime. At the end of the day that's all I want.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:47 pm

For the record, I think that the protection problem will be addressed at some point, but certainly not in v1.0. I know that they are aware of the issue and have even talked about it on these fora before.

Copy protection will be essential to any kind of profitable development occurring with M4L platform. It was possible with Pluggo, but we're just not there yet.

I think this is a good thing because it will force the community to be more open, which will encourage creativity.

The funniest thing about all of this complaining about runtime and app stores is that most people talking about it don't seem to even know what they would be doing with M4L in the first place. It's just an "I wanna play in the sandbox too!" sort of thing.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Rave wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

The model was suggested so we can get a free / cheap M4L runtime. At the end of the day that's all I want.
So you're just like my ex-girlfriend then. You're asking one question when you're really asking for something else.
Unsound Designer

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 pm

stringtapper wrote:For the record, I think that the protection problem will be addressed at some point, but certainly not in v1.0. I know that they are aware of the issue and have even talked about it on these fora before.

Copy protection will be essential to any kind of profitable development occurring with M4L platform. It was possible with Pluggo, but we're just not there yet.

I think this is a good thing because it will force the community to be more open, which will encourage creativity.

The funniest thing about all of this complaining about runtime and app stores is that most people talking about it don't seem to even know what they would be doing with M4L in the first place. It's just an "I wanna play in the sandbox too!" sort of thing.
I am not complaining. :) I have lived without max for this long and I think I will continue to do so quite happily. TBH I have have better things (suited to my workflow) to buy. It's just a shame there is no cheap runtime, I would have liked to have given it a go and support Ableton/Cycling.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 pm

stringtapper wrote:The funniest thing about all of this complaining about runtime and app stores is that most people talking about it don't seem to even know what they would be doing with M4L in the first place. It's just an "I wanna play in the sandbox too!" sort of thing.
:lol: hilarious. it's all about the people that are on the fence or hanging out with neb in the showers.

IMO the thing to do is look at what's already done. Cycling 74 already has a large well established community that has gone down this path. the difference is a lack of any free way to play.

in the end tempus3r's site will be around regardless. the question is only whether or not Ableton will host a store or archive.

locking patches forces ownership onto people which forces debugging and a sense of quality. no lock patches would help people learn faster and build off of each other. my guess is that every patch will have similar versions and the best will rise to the top. tempus3er did enable voting for patches.

all this talk before the horse is even out of the gate. GEEEEEEEEEKS!!!!!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 pm

stringtapper wrote:
So you're just like my ex-girlfriend then. You're asking one question when you're really asking for something else.
No haha, it's called building a business case.

What i find funny is the max people getting their knickers in a twist so easily. You lot are like wind up dolls LOL

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Rave wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
No haha, it's called building a business case.
Rave, your signature does make your ass look fat.

/hides
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz