Routing Return tracks when using external mixer, DJ Style.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
skulpture

Routing Return tracks when using external mixer, DJ Style.

Post by skulpture » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:01 pm

I have searched these forums quite extensively and have yet to find an answer, found lots of useful things but not what i'm after.

I currently use Live 7. Just bought a novation nio 2 in 4 out. So this is my set up:

Track One in Live -> Ext 1&2 into NIO -> Into channel one of DJ mixer
Track Two in Live -> Ext 3&4 into NIO -> into channel two of DJ mixer

I use the DJ mixer to Cue tracks and currently the 'Master' track in Live is 'dead/unused'.

My question:

I quite like using return tracks so you have wet/dry control and can send more than one track to an effect at any one time. How do I route this? Seems like I need to set up a sub-master or something but can't for the life of me figure it out. Surly this has been done before. I know I can set up duplicate effects on each track but seems a bit long winded for me....

Any suggestions? Thanks... 8)

aeon_flux

Re: Routing Return tracks when using external mixer, DJ Style.

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 pm

6 out card, 3 ch mixer with posibility to keep one channel unasigned to xfader.

skulpture

Post by skulpture » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:31 pm

So your saying the 3rd outputs (5&6 stereo) would be a separate track just for effects?

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:19 pm

right. if you want to mimic return tracks of live and have master out of your external mixer - can't see other way.

dcondax

Post by dcondax » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:28 pm

in that case check if you external mixer has an AUX in,

the aux ins are usually unaffected by the x fader.

im not sure about the nio, but find out if you can internally assign the head phone out as your 5/6

godspeed :)

skulpture

Post by skulpture » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Hmm I can see what you all mean.

I only have a 4 output sound card so I can't do this but I am still intrigued by the theory/method of it. This is the first obstacle I have faces since switching from a traditional 'analogue' DJ set up. I have just watched the deadmau5 videos on youtube which have been mentioned on another post and it confused me quite a bit.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:26 pm

aux is ok, or f/x return. you still need additonal pair of audio out (5/6) which you don't have on your interface.

you can consider mixers that directly can take upto 4 channels from firewire/usb:
- a&h xone:3d
- a&h xone:4d
- korg zero4
- korg zero8
- ecler evo5
- mackie d.4 pro

those ones do not need audio interface no more. just computer and PA :)
(mix can be directed back to ableton to record via the same fw/usb connection at home)

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 pm

hmm. i tried some different routings and it is still not ideal and have big flaws:

- you can use particular send only for active side of crossfader (if crossfader is on deck x side, sending something on deck y will bring its effect into mix)
- unless you have crossfader in the middle, sending whatever you want on both decks has limited sense :)
- there are probably more

take a look:

main deck channels do not produce audio to your card, both are redirected to sub channels. subchannels takes also both returns (and thats a flaw).

i don't know rest of your setup, how your midi control of sends look like. if you have free midi fader that can replace your mixer's crossfader i think i am able to change it into perfect solution :)

skulpture

Post by skulpture » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 am

aeon_flux Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I will re-create this and experiment. Thanks for all your replies.

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:23 pm

if you are able to use any midi crossfader mapped to marked live xfader, instead of your hardware mixer xfader (and mappings to A i B as shown) you will not have described problems as far as i checked with my tests. it is hard to help more as i don't know the rest of your setup (beside mixer and audio interface).

with midi crossfader setup as shown, if send a is active on both decks, x and y, you hear only f/x according to live crossfader, max to left only deck x with effect of send a, center both decks with effect, max to right only deck y with effect.

krisque

Post by krisque » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

OK hope I'm on topic here. I have dreamed up the perfect setup for me. Its taken at least a year of messin with different midi controllers and mixers but I finally feel like I got it right this time. Here's my set up

A&H xone 92, Motu ultralight, Novation launchpad, trigger finger (cause I need knobs)

Now heres the tricky part in Ableton I have 8 channels. every 2 running to one channel on the mixer. So for example on the launch pad the first row is for full songs. and each clip has a different stating point in the song. Now the second row on the launchpad(that is also going to channel one in the mixer) is samples taken from that song, (like a kick, snare, vocal , cool sounds etc) and when I trigger the second row it mutes out the first channel so I can kind of improvise with the song with it's own samples.

I dont think it's necessary to explain how i'm completely configured, so with this info I cant routh the x y crossfader cause its already being used. Is there anyway you geniuses can figure out how I can use my sends and returns like im used too. If I have to give up one of the channels in the mixer I will. I'm just kind of confused how to set that up.

thx and if i confused anyone just ask and I'll try to re explain.

Best! Krisque
p.s I luv my Ableton famaaaaaaleeeee=)