Live 6 and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xx/xy

Re: Live 6 and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Post by xx/xy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:30 pm

i'm using live 6 with snow leopard, and am also experiencing regular crashes, particularly this one when changing warp mode. sounds like there is little option to roll back to 10.5 or upgrade to live 8.

Knob_Alchemist

Post by Knob_Alchemist » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm testing Live 6 with Snow Leopard and no problem here....until now....

rnzr

Post by rnzr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 pm

i have constant crashes and i never pressed 'play' or something. was just re-ordering my library. its a pitty, i guess i go back to tiger tonight :(

naujpablo

Post by naujpablo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:32 am

I don`t even wanna try snow leopard after reading this post.

Any recent news on this? (coz I can`t change live 6 just yet)

maximum01

Post by maximum01 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:09 pm

+1

I use Live 6 and it does everything i need. I will not be impressed if Ableton drop support for it with Snow Leopard.

huffnpuff

Post by huffnpuff » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:07 am

+1

I've been a faithful Live user since v3, but this is the first ever compatibility problem I've run into. Considering the amount of cash I've spent on Live over the years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 10.6 fix for live 6. :(

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:06 am

again, +1, I feel this is a necessity as paying customers are paying customers, plain and simple.

tripswitch

Post by tripswitch » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:57 pm

I'll offer my experiences for anyone that wants to listen ...

I've also stuck with Live 6 since it was released as I've not had a specific reason to upgrade and am always wary of compatibility issues. I also skipped Leopard for similar reasons, and upgraded straight from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard a couple of months ago as I was replacing the HD in my macbook pro and it seemed like a logical point to deal with the upgrade, esp as Logic 9 had just come out.

Fast forward to today... got a gig tonight and fired up Live 6 for the 1st time since the upgrade. Crashes akimbo ... completely unusable, wigged out every time I tried to do anything.

Having ummed and aahed for about 30 mins reading the relevant threads here, and with a complete lack of confidence in 6 to get me through the night, I decided to cut my losses and upgrade. Put through my download order taking advantage of the AbleTen discount, downloaded, installed ....

The process was completely painless... on first run Live updated the library, and rewarped the clips in my set straight away, retaining my warp markers and clip settings. All prefs intact, all plug-in devices as before... Within 10 minutes I was merrily playing away on a crash-free Live. It even sounded better, smoother warping and more clarity in the highs.

My advice to any users of 6 who've made the jump to Snow ... save yourselves some grey hair, fork out for the upgrade and enjoy the benefits. I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Ableton to discontinue fixes on 3-year-old software, that's gone through 2 major revisions in that time, when the problems are down to a major OS revision. There's a significant discount at the moment and the upgrade (for me at least) has been smooth and problem-free.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 pm

[quote="huffnpuff"]+1

I've been a faithful Live user since v3, but this is the first ever compatibility problem I've run into. Considering the amount of cash I've spent on Live over the years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 10.6 fix for live 6. :([/quote]

When Live 6 was released - was there even Leopard? Live 6 was released in 2006 right?

Of course it is not unreasonable for you to expect it, but pretty seems unreasonable for Ableton to do a bugfix for a software to be compatible with an OS that came out three years after the software was released ....

Why not ask Apple to do the update? I mean, obviously the broke what does not work for you? So they should go into their OS and fix what broke Live6 compatibility ...

Use current software with current OS or old software with old OS ...

best