Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
twisted-space

Re: New Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live 8

Post by twisted-space » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 am

djgroovy wrote:Just to add that you can have up to 16 midi channels of normal midi control, totally user assignable and midi-learnable.
The automap in that case is pretty transparent, it's not doing anything.
In fact it can overcome the lack of session view automation for midi-learn enabled plugins.

And i agree that Novation should allow this part of Nocturn be acessible without installing automap, since automap isn't necessary for it.
I'm guessing here, but I think it's actually the automap software that gives you this. The nocturn itself doesn't generate any midi data, it doesn't even have a midi port. I believe the nocturn just a dumb terminal and automap is the thing generating all the data.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm

twisted-space wrote:
djgroovy wrote:Just to add that you can have up to 16 midi channels of normal midi control, totally user assignable and midi-learnable.
In fact it can overcome the lack of session view automation for midi-learn enabled plugins.

And i agree that Novation should allow this part of Nocturn be acessible without installing automap, since automap isn't necessary for it.
I'm guessing here, but I think it's actually the automap software that gives you this. The nocturn itself doesn't generate any midi data, it doesn't even have a midi port. I believe the nocturn just a dumb terminal and automap is the thing generating all the data.
Maybe, the point is it can be done without it if they want.
Midi port is irrelevant, i used to have a 1st generation Remote 25 which was even before automap existed and it conected via usb too.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 pm

twisted-space wrote:

Does it show up as a serial or HID device?
I could just integrate it in Max then.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Not really sure what you mean by serial or HID... it shows up on my pc's device manager as a sound, video and game controllers device.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:32 pm

djgroovy wrote:Not really sure what you mean by serial or HID... it shows up on my pc's device manager as a sound, video and game controllers device.
A gamepad would be an HID controller.
If by any chance you have software that allows you to configure gamepads, could you check if you can use the buttons to play games please?

Or if any Max users are reading this, does the nocturn show up in the [hi] object menu?

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:34 pm

can't test since I haven't got Max here, but I don't think the Nocturn will show up as a serial or hid device - does the launchpad, or does it's midi make it unnecessary?
(sorry that's not a definite answer - [hi] won't work in m4l will it?)
Related - are there Max devices to deal with usb-connected midi controllers like NI's Kore that don't primarily send midi?

also, perhaps for another thread, your m4l automap sounds interesting.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 pm

stutter wrote:can't test since I haven't got Max here, but I don't think the Nocturn will show up as a serial or hid device - does the launchpad, or does it's midi make it unnecessary?
(sorry that's not a definite answer - [hi] won't work in m4l will it?)
Related - are there Max devices to deal with usb-connected midi controllers like NI's Kore that don't primarily send midi?

also, perhaps for another thread, your m4l automap sounds interesting.
[hi] and [serial] do work in m4l.

The launchpad doesn't show up in [hi], but then again - it doesn't need automap to work as a midi controller.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm

I just tried it with max, no it doesn't show up. :?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Bummer. Thanks for checking guys!

guille

Post by guille » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:06 pm

It's the first that I did when I buyed Nocturn because I wasn't interested in Automap. But USB communication doesn't seem a standard MIDI-USB protocol that works without drivers like some MIDI/USB hardware.

Mac OS X show this info:
ID del producto: 0x000a
ID del fabricante: 0x1235
Versión: 0.09
Velocidad: Hasta 1,5 Mb/s
Fabricante: Novation DMS Ltd
ID de la ubicación: 0x1a200000
Corriente disponible (mA): 500
Corriente necesaria (mA): Desconocido (dispositivo no configurado)

Sorry, in spanish.

Automap is useful for some people that work with 3rd party plugins but needless for only MIDI or remote scripts like this. An optional installation as the Launchpad would be more suitable.

Perhaps if some people ask it Novation might consider it.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Opened the [hi] help in m4l - did not show any devices, including keyboard, so I'm probably misunderstanding something there.
On looking at the [hi] max tutorial it states:
The HID (Human Interface Device) protocol allows a physical controller to connect to a computer without device-specific drivers.
The Nocturn installs it's own driver (on Windows xp at least), so I would guess that excludes it - but obviously you would be wise to confirm with someone who knows Max/MSP better than I, and has a Nocturn.

edit: oops, should have looked at other's responses

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:04 pm

I can see Nocturn in system, like any other midi device but until server is started it does not show any activity (checked it with midiox).
I was told by someone from the competitors that there is serious interest from his and other companies to get Automap licensed and use instead of Bomes, which is expensive (in given example of a product, with Bomes based server, adding editor would raise the retail price by 25%).
I suppose there must be something smart about this Novation software that makes other companies interested in it(and as I understood it is not just interest stage but rather negotiation)

Is there a way to disable learn button on Nocturn ? Too easy to hit by accident, unlike page or GUI buttons, hitting learn could be disastrous live. I cant find any kind of "lock" function.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:03 pm

rikhyray wrote: Is there a way to disable learn button on Nocturn ? Too easy to hit by accident, unlike page or GUI buttons, hitting learn could be disastrous live. I cant find any kind of "lock" function.
Not that i'm aware of.

jaimun

Post by jaimun » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm

IP wrote:
what about the key version of nocturn???
Do you think this script will do the job???

Probably, but maybe you will have to reassign the controls of Automap templates.
Were can we reassign this controls? I've been opening the python files, and I could try to edit them.
But were are this controls assigned?

(thanks for sharing this work!)

kjetilhu

Post by kjetilhu » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Hello.

Two questions:

1. Is this script available for pc as well?

2. Is the script only working in midi-channel 1,2,3 and 4? Is it possible to edit or change this myself in the script? I have already assign a lot of stuff on those channels with 4 controllers....but for example midi-channel 11,12,13 and 14 is available...

Thanks

Kjetil.
Musician and producer http://www.optical-substance.com

Ableton Suite 8 with M4L
Cubase 5
Novation Remote 37 SL
Novation Nocturn
Novation Launchpad
Evolution UC-33e
Akai LPK25
Fatar VMK-188 pluss
Korg Kaos Pad III