THE GRID AIN'T RIGHT!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
aubford

THE GRID AIN'T RIGHT!!!

Post by aubford » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:25 am

I believe that the grid has numerous weaknesses in both the arrangement view and in the clip view. In arrangement view the bar/beat lines need to be larger than they are. The clip view, on the other hand, doesn't even differentiate between beat/bar and subdivisions and this is very bad, especially for MIDI. Finally, the triplet grid in arrange makes a thick line for every 4 triplets instead of keeping the emphasis on beat/bar. This makes no sense. People think of triplets in threes, not fours. The large lines should be the same beat/bar designations as in non-triplet mode instead of this confusing four-grouping nonsense.

Please, people, help me on this one, its so simple but so dumb to not have it work right.

steff3

Re: THE GRID AIN'T RIGHT!!!

Post by steff3 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes, clip automation for MIDI is really bad without a grid for quite a lot of tasks ....

What also gets me nuts is the CMD-key shortcut (on Mac) for changing velocity if pressed CMD before pressing the mouse button and moving the mouse and for disabling snap to grid if first moving the mouse and than pressing CMD. Hello, a keybooard has 4 modifier keys ...

best

aubford

Re: THE GRID AIN'T RIGHT!!!

Post by aubford » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:30 am

TOTALLY!!!!!!! YES! YES! YES! These things are what exactly what I'm talking about! All they need to do is have more people or more-qualified/experienced people test-use their product before it comes out in order to get these things right. I don't know what they do but just beta testing alone isn't enough. It seems like thats all they're doing because there are so many little basic flaws that could be fixed so easily and thus make the program so much better, I don't see how they miss these things!!