patchers within patchers, question about instances/reference

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
solconnection

patchers within patchers, question about instances/reference

Post by solconnection » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi there, i am having a simple problem that an experienced max user will probably laugh at

i have a patcher i have made,

Code: Select all

[p doMidiProcessing]
inside that patcher are more patchers

[p doMidiProcessing]
      [p doVelocity]
      [p doPitch]
      [p doLength]
      [p doLatency]
now i made lots of copies of [p doMidiProcessing] in my main patch, and it proceeded to copy all the patchers within it.

My Main Patch Window Looks Like this:

[p doMidiProcessing]
[p doMidiProcessing]
[p doMidiProcessing]
[p doMidiProcessing]
etc...
but now when i go and click on the first instance of [p doMidiProcessing] and then go in and edit for example [p doVelocity], it only updates the copy of doVelocity inside *this particular instance of [p doMidiProcessing]* :( doVelocity remains unchanged if i go in to say the second instance of doMidiProcessing in the main window.

What should i be doing to make reusable pieces of patcher code?

thanks in advance :)

steff3

Re: patchers within patchers, question about instances/reference

Post by steff3 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:31 pm

You should use abstractions - means, save those patchers as files and load them (if you save them within the search path of Max you just have to enter the name under which you saved them).

I am not sure if it updates automatically. before Max 5 that was no problem, in early versions of Max5 it was (at least the few times I used early Max5). Did not try it with a current version.

Hope that helps

best

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:39 pm

steff3 wrote:You should use abstractions - means, save those patchers as files and load them (if you save them within the search path of Max you just have to enter the name under which you saved them).

I am not sure if it updates automatically. before Max 5 that was no problem, in early versions of Max5 it was (at least the few times I used early Max5). Did not try it with a current version.

Hope that helps

best
helps a lot, thanks.

what does this mean for the sharing of patchers, do i need to include all the abstractions/dependancies etc? or will ableton bundle everything up?

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:42 pm

You can freeze the device with the little snowflake icon in the lower left hand tool bar of your main device window and it will bundle everything up for you so you can share it.

Cheers

Andrew

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 pm

pukunui wrote:You can freeze the device with the little snowflake icon in the lower left hand tool bar of your main device window and it will bundle everything up for you so you can share it.

Cheers

Andrew
awesome, thanks :)