Max/Msp vs. M4L

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naburo

Max/Msp vs. M4L

Post by naburo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:29 am

Hallo Folks,

maybe I understood something wrong, but is there anything I can actually do with M4L
that is not possible doing with Max5 (Max/Msp/ Jitter) ?

If I am wright I need to rethink, if am going to buy the Max Bundle instead of M4L.

Hopefully there is anyone giving me some insights in this hype.

cheers
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

slatepipe

Re: Max/Msp vs. M4L

Post by slatepipe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 am

m4l wont work without max 5, you need both. m4l lets you use max5 within ableton

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 am

slatepipe wrote:m4l wont work without max 5, you need both. m4l lets you use max5 within ableton
Not true. You need A max version, but you don't need the complete Max 5 license.
The Max version you need for M4L is provided with M4L.
naburo wrote:Hallo Folks,

maybe I understood something wrong, but is there anything I can actually do with M4L
that is not possible doing with Max5 (Max/Msp/ Jitter) ?

If I am wright I need to rethink, if am going to buy the Max Bundle instead of M4L.

Hopefully there is anyone giving me some insights in this hype.

cheers
You can control Live and you can run Max patches as plugins.
Something you can't do with Max 5. But Max 5 does have better MIDI/Audio options and the ability to create standalone applications.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:15 am

wow, i didnt know that, i thought you needed max 5.
so which version of max do you get with m4l?
er... if i already got max 5 do i still get the other version with m4l or is it cheaper or something?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 am

so far you have to install the latest max5, but not have a license for it.

and stuff you can do with it, well, you can control and extend live. that's more or less the idea bout it. make own live-effects directly, be it midi or audio. make own live-instruments. or, use a live effect to have knobs and such (that you then can f.e. midimap) to control all sort of ui elements in live, trigger clips, move the loop, what ever.

it's essentially that: max for live :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:35 am

okay thx so far,

lets say, I begin to like writing applications and want to expand in other fields like "monome" or video

does anyone know about the pricing for an upgrade from M4L to Max5 (MAX/MSP/Jitter)?
Setup:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 am

naburo wrote:okay thx so far,

lets say, I begin to like writing applications and want to expand in other fields like "monome" or video

does anyone know about the pricing for an upgrade from M4L to Max5 (MAX/MSP/Jitter)?
If I want both Max and Max for Live, should I buy Max now or wait until Max for Live is released?

If you own Max when you want to buy Max for Live, you will get a discount, as we said above. We will also provide a special price to Max for Live users who decide to upgrade to Max. The total amount you would spend buying both products will be roughly the same, regardless of which product you buy first. However, if you think you are interested in Max beyond using it inside Live, we encourage you to try it out now. Our goal is to use fair pricing that does not leave anyone unhappy. But, please note that final details on some discounts will not be released until the product is released.
Specific prices have yet to be published. http://www.cycling74.com/special/maxforlive

steff3

Post by steff3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 pm

With Max you can of course do most things and more that you can do with M4L ... it is the big brother and stand-alone.

With Max standalone you cannot do:
- control Live devices and functions directly from with in Live (you can use some MIDI connection stuff to control stuff in Live form Max/MSP standalone)

If you get Max5 you get M4L at a reduced price.

Hope that helps

best

steff3

Post by steff3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:26 pm

[quote="naburo"]okay thx so far,

does anyone know about the pricing for an upgrade from M4L to Max5 (MAX/MSP/Jitter)?[/quote]

well, M4L to Max is not announced yet, but the other way round it is 299 US$ rebate, and they say that it is about the same if you go Max -> M4L or M4L -> Max. So I would expect something in that order ...

hope that helps

best

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:24 pm

If you're at all interested in Max patches working in conjunction with Live, than the biggest reason to get M4L over Max/MSP is that you no longer have to rely on the horrid mess that is REWIRE.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

ark

Post by ark » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:17 pm

naburo wrote:Hallo Folks,

maybe I understood something wrong, but is there anything I can actually do with M4L that is not possible doing with Max5 (Max/Msp/ Jitter) ?
I believe that M4L includes Max objects that interface directly with the internals of Live. With it, you can write Max patches that run as Live instruments; without it, you can't.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me if I'm wrong.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:18 pm

slatepipe wrote:m4l wont work without max 5, you need both. m4l lets you use max5 within ableton
That does not match my understanding. I believe that if you have just M4L, you can use the full capabilities of Max, MSP, and Jitter -- but only inside Live, not separately.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm

ark wrote:
That does not match my understanding. I believe that if you have just M4L, you can use the full capabilities of Max, MSP, and Jitter -- but only inside Live, not separately.
Full capabilities expect for Audio Drivers, MIDI Drivers and building of applications.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:51 pm

ignore me, i was wrong. the other fellers here seem to know what they're on about

naburo

Post by naburo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:23 pm

that are ineteresting insights

well, i do not want to mess with rewire,
therefore it seems to to me a decent advancement,
to get patches started directly inside live,
otherwise the whole discussion about M4L in contrast to Max/MSP
would not make much sense to me.

I thank everyone for participating.
If anyone knows some interesting facts, why i should aquire
Max/MSP/Jitter in the first place, go straight ahead and start telling me.

I still have not made up my mind completely, which one I will order.
I would like to write things, to get myself more to microtonal music and spectralmusic.
Setup: