. moved

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tonedead

Re: THE BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9

Post by tonedead » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:13 am

Anything I might have thought of is in the list already except....please,if you update/3D things up,leave us the classic look option.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 am

Swedish Sam wrote:. Previewing samples in context (when the music plays). My personal No.1 priority. Just click on the sample swap button and browse through your library to hear samples previewing instantly through your track fx and sampler/simpler settings. (like filter, mods etc)

At the moment you have to "load" every sample, and it gets frustrating when you got 10000+ snares, and you want to hear it in the track with fx and filters active. Just a way of easily flick through samples more effective.
That is brilliant!

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Hello,

Quite impressive list. I'd like to give some answers and comments, which may lead to remove some, or at least clarify/improve the wishing. Here is what came to my attention:
the possibility to define more than one template set (requested by Alsamarkan)
This exists but is not well promoted for it is not obvious and there is no proper interface for it. You can put any Live set into your Library/Templates folder. When opening a set that is in that folder, its title in Live will be "Untitled" and when you choose "Save", it won't overwrite the set in your Library/Templates but propose a new save location. Just as the current default template.
The ability to “always solo” a track so that I can keep things like my rewired soft-synth input tracks always soloed no matter what. (I like to handle all of the midi in Ableton and it’s a pain to have to solo two tracks all the time in order to hear one track from the Reason) (requested by aubford)

better handling for multi-timbral vsti's. (requested by loachm)
[It's stupid to set up three tracks, if you want to use a multi-timbral instrument on two tracks. You have to use one midi track containing the instrument, another midi track for the second midi channel and another audio track for the output of the second midi channel. If I'd want to use all possible channel of an 8 part multi-timbral instrument I'd have to use 15 tracks in total (31 for a 16 part multi-timbral instrument). That's very annoying, not to mention that freezing doesn't work with multi-timbral instruments. An option would be using just one instance per channel, but I don't want clutter up my ram with an unnecessary amount of instruments - I could freeze them, but this still uses up more resources than it has to.]
I'm not sure if it's the only purpose of your "always solo" wish, but what I get from these two wishes, is that you don't know about the existance of the "External instrument" device. Both for the Reason usecase, and the multi-channel plugin usecase, you can use one of these in a MIDI track. It allows you to send MIDI to Reason or your plugin, and get audio from the same instrument. The biggest advantage of it over yusing two tracks, is that it takes care of all latency compensation. If there is something remaining about "always solo", please update the list.
batch export of files (cubase like) (Requested by mofus)
What does that mean? Export all tracks as audio (possible today)? Or something else?
NO link between full screen piano roll and mixer window (Requested by Porcelli)
I don't understand that. What link are you talking about?
make the "open/close folder" command remoteable (Requested by pyrolator)?
You mean Fold/Unfold group track / Rack track? Or something else?
ctrl/command + A in Arrange View should select the grouped Clips as well, right now it doesn`t, i have to open the group to select those clips (Requested by magestro)
Tell me if I'm worng: I understand you're talking about manipulating the content of a folded group track, right? In Live 8.0.x, indded, even if the time is selected in a folded group track, edit commands such a duplicate, copy/paste, don't affect the content of the group track. In Live 8.1, which will be the Live version for everyone after MaxForLive is released - MaxForLive is just an optional add-on, Live 8.1 is only Live, with a few improvements - we've implemented that. If you select time and some folded group track is part of the selection, edit commands affect the content of the group track. Both in Session and Arranger. You can try Live 8.1 by downloading it from here:
http://www.ableton.com/81beta
an additional handle to all the crossfades so that you can move the whole crossfade as it is to another position horizontally, without altering the fade curve and the length of the fade (requested by posssu)
Move the clip edge. Of course, you have to think which clip edge to grab, depending which way you want to move the fade.
Improve "fades" to be able to fade for as many bars we want and to be able to apply to any automation line we want. (vol/pan/device automation etc)
You can fade as many bars as you want. You can not cross loop boundaries, that is the limitation. Then, crossfading envelopes.. well, we've thought hard about that, but in the end think it makes little sense. Say, you have a clip with volume automatied at -12dB, another one at +3dB. Are you sure it always makes sense to draw a curve from -12 to +3? It gets worst if you think of filter frequencies etc..

There needs to be the ability to control fade ins and outs at the beginning and ending of samples in “sampler” and “simpler” (not just when using the loop funtion) so I can mitigate popping issues when the sample start point is getting into the loud parts of the sample. (requested by aubford)
Isn't that the purpose of the volume envelope, in an instrument?
HQ Mode as standard setting (requested by Alsamarkan)
Some devices don't have it ON by default because it could affect performances, and the choice is left to users. But let me take the occasion for a little reminder: you can set a device to your liking as a default, and drag it to the Library/Defaults, in the corresponding folder. This will save the default state for the next time you open this device.
be able to send a channel to specific chain inside a rack, like you can do with midi racks and midi tracks ,or audio to midi with a midi audio throughput. (requested by friend_kami)
I don't get that. What channel are you having in an Audio effect rack? Are you thinking about a chain selector?

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

posssu

Post by posssu » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Amaury wrote:
What does that mean? Export all tracks as audio (possible today)? Or something else?
This means you could select the exportable region from a set, hit "Add to queue" and do this as many times as you want within the same set or also open another set, add a region from that to queue and when you're finished, you could hit "Batch export". This would cause Live to go through each of the selected regions in possible multiple sets and export them with the selected settings for each.
Amaury wrote:
an additional handle to all the crossfades so that you can move the whole crossfade as it is to another position horizontally, without altering the fade curve and the length of the fade (requested by posssu)
Move the clip edge. Of course, you have to think which clip edge to grab, depending which way you want to move the fade.
Right...! Didn't realize this already exists!!! Thanks!
Amaury wrote:
be able to send a channel to specific chain inside a rack, like you can do with midi racks and midi tracks ,or audio to midi with a midi audio throughput. (requested by friend_kami)
I don't get that. What channel are you having in an Audio effect rack? Are you thinking about a chain selector?
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think this means being able to route audio or midi directly into a chain inside an audio effect rack or midi directly into a chain inside an instrument-rack.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

IP

Post by IP » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 pm

i lost some episodes again ;p

@ Amaury : thanks for replying :)
Amaury wrote:
I think mofus mean "clips batch export"
Amaury wrote:
NO link between full screen piano roll and mixer window (Requested by Porcelli)
I don't understand that. What link are you talking about?
maybe a "unpin" feature for the pianoroll
Amaury wrote:
Improve "fades" to be able to fade for as many bars we want and to be able to apply to any automation line we want. (vol/pan/device automation etc)
You can fade as many bars as you want. You can not cross loop boundaries, that is the limitation. Then, crossfading envelopes.. well, we've thought hard about that, but in the end think it makes little sense. Say, you have a clip with volume automatied at -12dB, another one at +3dB. Are you sure it always makes sense to draw a curve from -12 to +3? It gets worst if you think of filter frequencies etc..
agree, the request should be simply "fades" for all automation lines as well (not only clips)

actually there is an explanation for the most of the "strange" requests ...
maybe someone could help to re-write the list in a more proper way ..

update on the way (anyway);p

Electromorphic

Post by Electromorphic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Definitely what NO LINK means is he wants dual screen support. I want it too. Arranger on one screen, session view on the other.

IP

Post by IP » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:11 pm

marker post
all in

now lets go subtractive to clean things up ;p

doremifa

Post by doremifa » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 pm

- complete NOVATION AUTOMAP support, including mixer mode (they are your partners for god sake, Reaper & Logic have it, but not you. Wired)
- save/load midi (and keyboard) mapping layouts like presets from Live browser
- notation window

+ plus I hope some of this changes (gathered in this topic) would be implemented in Live 8.1-2-3

MarkyGoldstein

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Clips: Playback Range: In Cubase an Audio recording can start before the Part starts, and you set some sort anchor. Most DAW's have problems with this. In music the sounds often start before the exact start of a bar (they are played a little ahead in time) - this is natural for grooves. Music is not Lego, at least some styles.

So I want to record audio (and midi) tape machine style, and then convert the recordings into clips, but considering that some of the recording was done slightly before beat 1. This means I define a clip, but I would also define the boundaries of the playback based on how much ahead the music is played. It means we have to set the clip border to beat 1 to 4, but the played back audio starts before and ends before. To be able to loop, the size of the loop is still 4 beats.

This is a must have feature for me. I need to be able to record and loop audio that is played ahead, exact in time, and layed back. But still benefit from the Clip grid. This is essential and it's a show stopper for any DAW in my house ;)

Was it described understandable?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

MarkyGoldstein wrote:Clips: Playback Range: In Cubase an Audio recording can start before the Part starts, and you set some sort anchor. Most DAW's have problems with this. In music the sounds often start before the exact start of a bar (they are played a little ahead in time) - this is natural for grooves. Music is not Lego, at least some styles.

So I want to record audio (and midi) tape machine style, and then convert the recordings into clips, but considering that some of the recording was done slightly before beat 1. This means I define a clip, but I would also define the boundaries of the playback based on how much ahead the music is played. It means we have to set the clip border to beat 1 to 4, but the played back audio starts before and ends before. To be able to loop, the size of the loop is still 4 beats.

This is a must have feature for me. I need to be able to record and loop audio that is played ahead, exact in time, and layed back. But still benefit from the Clip grid. This is essential and it's a show stopper for any DAW in my house ;)

Was it described understandable?
Hi,

It is understandable. I think some call it "hot spot" too. It does not exist in Live as yet, but here is a little thing that hopefully helps: if a clip starts offset from the grid, when moving it, the offset will be remembered as a snap point, and you can drop it anywhere, with the same offset from the grid. So, say, you have to place your clip once precisely, than you can move it to another bar without loosing the "hot spot". This is new in Live 8.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

posssu

Post by posssu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes, this could be implemented with "preroll" (the same idea as suggested in this thread, but also in arrangement-view): http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... it=preroll
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:28 pm

thx for reply Amaury

this is the ultimate must have for me:

more device browser windows for better instrument management

pls implement this in Live 8.1. ... i think it should be easy to program!

thx a lot!!!
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

gncgry

Post by gncgry » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm

built in midi clock sync please.

(over wifi, mac to mac, pc to pc and mac to pc)

people are craving for this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/1 ... t-in-sync/

thanx.
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

alexaaz

Post by alexaaz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Thought of 3 more things;

1) Groups showing inside sets in the file browser so you can drag groups between projects.
2) The ability to label group 'clips', if you can't think of a way perhaps define a clip within a group that is used as the name for the group?
3) Solo of a track soloing with the sends still in effect. Sometimes I want to hear a track solo'd whilst the mix is playing and still hear all the sends. I have to stop the track and then solo the particular track and the returns... gets in the way of the workflow a bit :-) I'm sure in Logic it used to solo with the return still active?

All the best,

Alex

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:09 pm

alexaaz wrote:Thought of 3 more things;

3) Solo of a track soloing with the sends still in effect. Sometimes I want to hear a track solo'd whilst the mix is playing and still hear all the sends. I have to stop the track and then solo the particular track and the returns... gets in the way of the workflow a bit :-) I'm sure in Logic it used to solo with the return still active?
Hello,

If I read properly, all you need is to enable "solo in place" in the Options menu. That way, a soloed track still feed the sends, and you hear the effect that affects it.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team